D&D 5E WotC's Nathan Stewart Teases New D&D Setting Book in 2019

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019:

"Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm there will be a setting book,' he said. 'A new setting book. A book that we have not created that is for a D&D setting.'"

I'd speculate, given the Settings mentioned in the recent marketing survey and what is listed in the DMsGuild, that the likely options are from the following, given we got Magic this year and Stewart has previously said they are not working on a new setting right now:

- Dark Sun
- Dragonlance
- Eberron
- Greyhawk
- Planescape
- Ravenloft

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/11/03/dungeons-and-dragons-new-campaign-setting-book-2019/

"A book that we have not created."

Um... what?

So it'll be a third-party book, or...? I don't understand this. :confused:
I took this as either:

a. He meant to say “A book we have not yet created”.

So either the book is not yet written, or even possibly that it is about part of a setting that has not been written about before in previous editions.

b. He means that it was farmed out to another company to write, like many of the other WotC 5E books have been.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I took this as either:

a. He meant to say “A book we have not yet created”.

So either the book is not yet written, or even possibly that it is about part of a setting that has not been written about before in previous editions.

b. He means that it was farmed out to another company to write, like many of the other WotC 5E books have been.

Man, they haven't outsourced a game book in years.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think it would only happen if they were meaningfully planning on moving away from the Forgotten Realms for a extended period of time. Drop a FRCG into peoples hands and stop doing APs for FR for the most part and start doing them for other settings.

Otherwise I agree, I think it will be another Setting if they intend to say in FR.

I think it very possible we may see non-Faerun Guides at some point: Kara-Tur and Al-Qadim with new monsters, PC options and genre adventure building tools.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
That was Stewart trolling folks. They have singled out one setting to say they aren't doing it, he didn't split hairs on the question.

I think I may have misread this announcement.

I thought they were talking again that it wasn't Spelljammer and that they released that graphic.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think I may have misread this announcement.

I thought they were talking again that it wasn't Spelljammer and that they released that graphic.

The graphic is from Morrus, but on Spoilers & Swag when he teased next year's hardcover setting book he specified that it is not a Spelljammer book.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
One day I'll try a word and iOS won't decide it knows better. But not today.

[Edit... and dammit, I said TYPE, and it changed it to "try". It even autocorrects my jokes about autocorrect....]
Big Brother and his Newspeak project would be jealous of what autocorrect can accomplish with far less brainpower.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
An Eberron hardcover paired with a Eberron card set for Magic would be fun! If it is another Magic setting, my hope would be for Theros.
I wish for a Kamigawa book, I know it isn't happening but still... If it can be any setting I wish for Greyhawk.

Big Brother and his Newspeak project would be jealous of what autocorrect can accomplish with far less brainpower.
That's why I have it turned off. I don't trust autocorrect.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
True, but that could go either way. They might do an Eberron hardcover (which would explain why they have spent so much of their playtest efforts on Eberron crunch), and in Magic do an Eberron block.

Though it could be whatever next setting Magic does, assuming that isn't a D&D setting in Magic. We'll see, but at least we have an idea that in D&D we will have one hardcover AP and one hardcover setting book coming next year, at least.

I doubt it will be Eberron. That weird bit about a book they have not created would exclude it, because they technically have a book for it already, even if it is a pdf.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases