D&D 5E Asmodeus in 5E Faerun

Irennan

Explorer
Yes, but him filling in blanks doesn't make it "official" or otherwise "canon" unto itself. Hence the supposed contractual clause, which hasn't been verified besides one lone internet poster who's talking about it in nonspecific terms, secondhand.

She paraphrased the contract text, but she wasn't shady or generic about it, she was quite specific about how what Ed says is canon.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
She paraphrased the contract text, but she wasn't shady or generic about it, she was quite specific about how what Ed says is canon.

Paraphrasing, as a rule, tends to mean that the details aren't given. She laid out the basic overview, but nothing about the specifics. Likewise, one internet poster saying something does not, unto itself, satisfy any burden of proof in this regard.

Irennan

Explorer
Paraphrasing, as a rule, tends to mean that the details aren't given. She laid out the basic overview, but nothing about the specifics. Likewise, one internet poster saying something does not, unto itself, satisfy any burden of proof in this regard.

She said the conditions under which what Ed says is canon. She speaks on Ed's behalf (and has been doing that for 11+ years now) and is really close to him, that's why she is trusted. Of course you have all rights to doubt that, but then at this point we're just running circles, as only Ed can provide your answer.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
She said the conditions under which what Ed says is canon. She speaks on Ed's behalf (and has been doing that for 11+ years now) and is really close to him, that's why she is trusted. Of course you have all rights to doubt that, but then at this point we're just running circles, as only Ed can provide your answer.

Trust has nothing to do with what's canon or what's not. It's not so much a question of doubt, as it is a question of her not having provided anything to back up her claim.

Irennan

Explorer
@Alzrius I think we're speaking past each other (and have been repeating the same concept). THO has been Ed's voice for 11+ years, so she was believed and wasn't asked for proof when she talked about Ed's agreement with TSR. People can obviously doubt that, currently lacking any publicly shared picture of said agreement.

Either way, until we have Ed's answer, the discussion won't go anywhere.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
@Alzrius I think we're speaking past each other (and have been repeating the same concept). THO has been Ed's voice for 11+ years, so she was believed and wasn't asked for proof when she talked about Ed's agreement with TSR. People can obviously doubt that, currently lacking any publicly shared picture of said agreement.

I agree that we're just repeating the same things at this point. THO claims to have been Ed's voice, just like she claims that there's a contract that makes whatever he says canon unless TSR/WotC says otherwise. However, just making the claim is not enough, it requires verification.

Either way, until we have Ed's answer, the discussion won't go anywhere.

Probably not.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Trust has nothing to do with what's canon or what's not. It's not so much a question of doubt, as it is a question of her not having provided anything to back up her claim.

If you dont believe the unofficial official source then I guess you are stuck like me waiting for an official official source.

Irennan

Explorer
THO claims to have been Ed's voice [...]

Well, leaving the contract aside, consider someone pretending to speak on Ed's behalf, delivering literally thousands of replies to people and saying that those directly come from Ed, doing that for more than 11 years, with a lot of people --including other Forgotten Realms authors, who work with Ed-- trusting those replies to actually come from him... come on (also, that would be some dedication on her side). I can understand your being skeptical about the contract matter, but Candlekeep is regarded highly as a source of Realmslore because you can get Ed's and other authors' word there. THO actually is Ed's dear friend (and you can also see that here: http://edverse.officeedgreenwood.com/edverse2/, a bit past half the article) at this point I think that it is a bit excessive to think that she just claims to speak for Ed.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Well, leaving the contract aside, consider someone pretending to speak on Ed's behalf, delivering literally thousands of replies to people and saying that those directly come from Ed, doing that for more than 11 years, with a lot of people --including other Forgotten Realms authors, who work with Ed-- trusting those replies to actually come from him... come on (also, that would be some dedication on her side).

Suggesting that something must be true simply because it's been maintained for a long time, and is believed by a lot of people, isn't verification. Again, I'm not calling her a liar; I'm saying that there's a higher burden of proof that needs to be met.

I can understand your being skeptical about the contract matter, but Candlekeep is regarded highly as a source of Realmslore because you can get Ed's and other authors' word there. THO actually is Ed's dear friend (and you can also see that here: http://edverse.officeedgreenwood.com/edverse2/, a bit past half the article) at this point I think that it is a bit excessive to think that she just claims to speak for Ed.

Okay, this is better in terms of verifying that she has the relationship with Ed Greenwood that she claims to. The next step is to verify that such a contractual stipulation exists, and what its precise terms are.

Remove ads