Fire Mountain Games - 5 years since funding - communication thread

TheSword

Legend
Hello all, this thread is intended to be a method of communication for anyone thoroughly scammed by Gary McBride in the Throne Of Night Kickstarter. I’m very wary of the comments section of Kickstarter in question being shut down and therefore being cut off from all other backers.

The Kickstarter was funded to the tune of $40,000 back in May 2013 by just over 300 backers. The last time we heard from the creator was October 2015. He’s ignored private emails, letters to his address and contacts from Kickstarter themselves. most frustratingly he’s backed over 300 other kickstarters in that period demonstrating that not only does he regularly log on to kickstart but that Kickstarter have benefited from his ongoing financial investment - effectively using our money. Some have said there is an argument that they have therefore used their platform to enable a fraud by GmB that they have then benefited from financially. By not blocking his account (as their terms and conditions say they are able to do) they have not done everything reasonable in their power to encourage Gary to communicate with us.

The complete silence for three years is clearly a breach of kickstarters code of practice. The lack of communication almost certainly indicates a fraud has been perpetuated and many backers intend to take legal action. Most frustratingly of all, we know from communications with the artists, the the artwork and maps for the entire seven book project has been completed. We have no way of getting access to it though. in short this thread is for people who have been royally doinked to keep in touch.

Presumably Gary McBride has supported hundreds of rpg kickstarters for his home games. On the slim chance that a participant in those games reads this thread, please can you attempt to talk some sense into Gary, before legal fees start escalating.

Any backers or industry professionals, we’d love to hear your thoughts?

Mods: I may have posted this in the wrong place but I say that it was about third party publishers and Kickstarter so it made sense. Please move if there is a better location.

Posters: In order to keep this thread from being locked or deleted please refrain from threats or abuse against Gary or other parties. Let’s keep I professional and be the better people.

So far backers that have posted are
@kevin_video @Mirko Hess @TheSword @Alzrius [FONT=&quot]@Jaynay27 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]@Jenner2057 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]@Zaister[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Welcome all, particularly anyone new to Enworld, it’s a great site. I’m just sorry it’s in these circumstances.

[Edit updated for new backers]

Last edited:

Libertad

Hero
I am not a backer, but I wrote an extensive article about the Throne of Night KickStarter back in late 2015. Here is a link to the blog post.

It seems that little has changed in the interim years. If I happened to miss any other significant developments, please feel free to correct me!

TheSword

Legend
Thanks for moving mods. It definitely looked weird in the announcements section.

I wonder how many people are following the Kickstarter still, or if it’s just down to a handful.

TheSword

Legend
I am not a backer, but I wrote an extensive article about the Throne of Night KickStarter back in late 2015. Here is a link to the blog post.

It seems that little has changed in the interim years. If I happened to miss any other significant developments, please feel free to correct me!

I did read your article when you first posted it. It was shared amongst the backers way back when and is a good commentary. You are right, nothing has changed. Many of us hoped the convention of 5 years to complete a Kickstarter would give Gary a spur to release something but alas no joy.

You’re also spot on that for many people Pathfinder is no longer relevant, and any release would be too little too late. Many just want their money back. I’d written that off a long time ago, but I would like the art and the maps.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I went in on the Throne of Night Kickstarter for $200.

At that pledge level ("GEN CON SPECIAL" of which I was one of only four backers), I was supposed to receive PDFs of all six adventures (I received the two PDFs that went out) and signed softcover copies of all six books (which were never made; I heard that the first two books were briefly available as PODs on DriveThruRPG, but are now PDF-only after people complained).

For what it's worth, I did receive the Gen Con-exclusive material; we got to meet Gary McBride (who did seem like a nice guy), play in a brief Throne of Night game with him, and received the exclusive adventure "First Voyage of the Helbrandr." But even so, not receiving the other books I paid for still rankles me.

EDIT: Hm, the blog post linked above has a note from Fire Mountain Games' artist Michael Clarke saying that the first two Throne of Night books were never offered in POD format. My mistake there.

Last edited:

Jenner2057

Villager
Backer here as well. I'm still around keeping an eye on this project but I can say this whole experience turned me off from ever backing another Kickstarter. The lack of any sort of accountability from the creator - or involvement/enforcement from Kickstarter themselves - is enough to keep me from doing this again.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases