2020 Pogre's Miniatures and Models - Sebeki from Crocodile Game and a Wild Boar

Nebulous

Legend
IAPs2yZ.png

pogre

Legend
A 3D printed modular half timber house with furnishings. I was going to glue the furnishings in, but my boys talked me out of it - so, I can use them in dungeons.
056_fireplace.jpeg

057_roundtable.jpeg

058_logs.jpeg

059_sacks.jpeg

060_house.jpeg

Furnishings in the lower level.
060_housefurnished_a.jpeg

Furnishings in the upper level.
060_housefurnished_b.jpeg

Models completed in 2020: 63

Last edited:

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
That is some really nice looking stuff you are printing up... I'm just a little jealous :p I almost done with my Bones minis (until #5 arrives next year), I'm going to be stuck with paper craft :)

Badvoc

Explorer
I'm busy printing a some ruined versions of the same houses. Yours looks great. Figured I could use them for D&D (Thundertree?) as well as Frostgrave.

pogre

Legend
I'm busy printing a some ruined versions of the same houses. Yours looks great. Figured I could use them for D&D (Thundertree?) as well as Frostgrave.
I have been really impressed with these modular pieces - lots of possibilities. The paint job looks much better in real life - the flash really washed out the color.

I hope you post the ruined versions - I want to check them out!

I use a bunch of the Miniature Building Authority stuff for my ruined stuff - I grabbed about a grand of their buildings when they had a big package deal a few years ago to use with Mordheim. However, I have not purchased any since then - between Hirst Arts and 3D printing I can make whatever I want and paint it to look much nicer.

Lately, I have been spending money on tabletop mats from various companies. I played on felt for years and years, but these mats are awesome. Here is a shot from an OldHammer game we played the other night:
oldhammer.jpg

pogre

Legend
Painting 60 miles per hour - Bones Reaper Gloom Stalker aka Hook Horror

Years ago I published a number of painting articles in a now defunct hobby magazine. I did a number of step-by-step miniature paint jobs, and some of the most popular were the speed painting articles. Since that time (early 2000s), the hobbyist has a lot more tools for speed painting including Contrast paints from GW and now, Instant Colors from Scale 75. The down side is a lot of these new tools are fairly expensive.

I use Contrast paints, but I started speed painting way before these were available. I thought I would share how I painted this figure very quickly. If you would like me to post a true step-by-step sometime - let me know. I looked for some of my old articles, but sadly, those are all gone.

I start with a figure that is conducive to speed painting. This is typically a large abomination type monster. I'm going to take my time on characters and key npcs, but let's be honest, I am throwing these figures on the table for one encounter - and their job is to maybe scare the PCs, but ultimately die in droves!

My standard for my speed painting is a figure that anyone would say is nicer than a pre-painted figure. If you run a game with a lot of pre-painted figures there is nothing wrong with that, but they really are not cheap these days.

Let's use this monster for an example. Below you can see a pre-painted Hook Horror. As pre-painted models go it's not too bad. However, a quick google search will reveal you are throwing down between $18 and $25 for this model.
prepaintedhookhorror.jpg

The figure I am painting is a Bones Black Gloom Stalker - retail $7.99 and readily available at major online merchants for $6.55.

From start to finish this figure took 36 minutes of painting time. Naturally, that's not counting drying time, but it is easily doable with drying time in a few hours. If you used a hair dryer you could easily finish the whole thing in well under an hour.
061_hookhorror_a.jpeg

061_hookhorror_b.jpeg

061_hookhorror_c.jpeg

Step One - wash the model with a touch of dish soap and water.

Step Two - prime it black with a brush on primer. I use Vallejo black primer. I prefer spraying models, but some sprays react badly with the Bones material - it stays tacky even after you finish it. If you have an airbrush, by all means use it. I have a nice air brush, but no booth currently. Maybe some day!

Step Three - heavily dry brush the whole model with a slightly off-white.

Step Four - Paint most of the model purple. I was going to use a Contrast paint for this. However, I did not already own a GW Contrast Purple. Plus the cost of a bottle of the stuff is more than I spent on the model and I was going to use quite a bit. I don't normally watch YouTube, but this guy over at Goobertown's video on making your own Contrast Paints caught my eye.
Goobertown Video

I don't know the fellow, but he seems pleasant enough. I recommend speeding up the video - I found him very understandable at X1.75 speed.
I have some original GW inks and a fair amount of purple. I mixed some old GW purple ink with some Liquitex Matte Medium in equal parts and added a bit of flow extender.
The result was an ink/paint that behaved a lot like Contrast paints. And, as I had all the stuff on hand, saved me $8.00.

I avoided the head, stomach carapace, hooks, and claws. I used a big cheap brush and covered the rest of the figure. The nice thing about inking over a black figure dry brushed with white is shadows are very nearly automatically created.

Step Five - While the purple dried I drybrushed the base in successively lighter shades of gray right up to nearly straight white. The figure comes with a great base, so that saved me some time and was going to almost immediately make it better than the pre-painted model.

Step Six - I touched up the head, hooks, underneath carapace, and foot claws with the same off-white I dry brushed with - I was a little too sloppy with my purple.

Step Seven - I covered the head, hooks, underneath carapace, and foot claws with GW Contrast Skeleton Horde. If you don't have Contrast Skeleton Horde here is a quick ink alternative: 2 parts brown ink, 2 parts orange ink, 1 part yellow ink, and 2 parts water. I used that formula for years to create my bone ink.

Step Eight - I did some light highlights of the bone colored areas with Vallejo Game Color Bonewhite

Step Nine - I painted the eyes with a mixture of 2 parts bone white and one part Vallejo Game Color Livery Green

Finished - I could have spent a lot more time on this figure, but it will look great in the dungeon. There is also a certain satisfaction in starting and finishing a model quickly. It is welcome break from terrain painting and more detailed layer painting.

Models completed in 2020: 64

Remove ads