Troll, AbyssalChallenge 11
Huge elite giant, chaotic evil14,400 elite XP
1599775001607.png

Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 207 (18d12+90; bloodied 103)
Speed 40 ft.
1599775002768.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
23 (+6)11 (+0)20 (+5)10 (+1)10 (+0)12 (+1)
1599775003617.png

Savings Throws Str +10, Con +10, Wis +4
Skills Athletics +10, Perception +4
Resistances cold, lightning, piercing
Immunities poison
Condition Immunities charmed, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages Abyssal, Giant
Proficiency Bonus +4; Maneuver DC 18
1599775004793.png

Abyssal Might (Elite Trait, 1/Rest). When the troll is first bloodied, all conditions and effects it is suffering end for it, its elite traits activate, and all of its abilities recharge. Additionally, on its initiative count +10, or in place of an Action on its turn, the troll can use an elite action.

Keen Smell. The troll has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Limited Magic Immunity. The troll is immune to cantrips.

Regeneration. The troll regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn. If the troll takes radiant damage, this trait doesn’t function at the start of the troll’s next turn. The troll dies only if it starts its turn with 0 hit points and doesn’t regenerate.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The troll makes two claw attacks and one bite attack.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target grappled by the troll or incapacitated. Hit: 19 (3d8 + 6) magical piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 22 (3d10 + 6) magical slashing damage and 7 (2d6) poison damage and the target must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned. A poisoned target must make an additional saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a failure the target is stunned. On a successful save all conditions caused by the troll's claws end for it.

Innate Spellcasting. The troll’s spell casting ability is Constitution (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with attack spells. The troll can innately cast the following spells, requiring no components:

At-will: darkness, dispel magic
1/day each: harm, power word stun

Harm (6th-level).
The troll chooses one creature it can see within 60 feet of it. The target must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw, taking 49 (14d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The damage can’t reduce the target’s hit points below 1. If the target fails the saving throw, its hit point maximum is reduced for 1 hour by an amount equal to the necrotic damage it took. Any effect that removes a disease allows a creature’s hit point maximum to return to normal before that time passes.

ELITE ACTIONS
Teleport.
The troll can teleport to an unoccupied space it can see within 120 feet of it.

Vile Casting. The troll can cast an at will spell.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I have finished update the 5e Hardcore giants, I added the ogres and trolls:
I'm getting ready to head out for a long weekend, but I may try to sneak in a few request before I do. After that, I really will be taking a hiatus for a while before I tackle updating the fiends and dragons (I never made any hardcore Fey and I already posted all of the Elementals).

dave2008

Legend
Yuan-ti Holy Guardian
Medium monstrosity (shapechanger, yuan-ti), neutral evil
1599816218597.png

Armor Class 16 (natural armor + shield)
Hit Points 84 (13d8 + 26; bloodied 42)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
1599816220984.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
17 (+3)14 (+2)15 (+2)16 (+3)15 (+2)17 (+3)
1599816222319.png

Savings Throws Dex +4, Con +5, Int +7, Wis +7
Skills Athletics +7, Perception +6, Religion +7
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16
Languages Abyssal, Common, Draconic.
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2
1599816223613.png

Alert. The yuan-ti gains a +5 bonus to its initiative, it can’t be surprised while it is conscious, and other creatures don’t gain advantage on attack rolls against it as a result of being hidden.

Blessing of Sseth (1/long rest). The yuan-ti can re-roll a saving throw it has failed.

Chameleon Camouflage. The yuan-ti can change the color and texture of its skin, giving it advantage on its Hide attempts.

Magic Resistance. The yuan-ti has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Sentinel. When the yuan-ti hits a creature with an opportunity attack, the creature’s speed becomes 0 for the rest of its turn, and creatures within 5 feet of the yuan-ti provoke opportunity attacks even if they take the Disengage action.

Shapechanger. The yuan-ti can use its action to polymorph into a Medium snake or back into its true form. Its statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. It doesn’t change form if it dies.

ACTIONS
Multiattack (Yuan-ti Form Only).
The yaun-ti makes three scimitar or two longbow attacks.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4 + 3) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) poison damage and the target must make a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be grappled.

Scimitar (Yuan-ti Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage plus 3 (1d6) poison damage.

Longbow (Yuan-ti Form Only). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage plus 3 (1d6) poison damage.

Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target grappled by the yuan-ti. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage and the target is grappled (escape DC 13). Until the grapple ends, the target is restrained and the yuan-ti can’t constrict another target.

Venomous Tendrils (1/day). The yuan-ti selects a point it can see within 90 feet of it. The area within a 20-foot radius of the point becomes magically filled with serpent-like tendrils. When a creature enters the affected area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, the creature must succeed on a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw or take 10 (3d6) poison damage and be restrained by the tendrils. A creature that starts its turn in the area and is already restrained by the tendrils takes 10 (3d6) poison damage. A restrained creature can make additional Strength or Dexterity saving throws at the end of each of its turns, end the effect on itself on a success.

The area last for 1 minute, until it is dismissed by the yuan-ti with a bonus action, or until the yuan-ti loses concentration on the spell.

Innate Spellcasting (Yuan-ti Form Only). The yuan-ti’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13. +5 to hit with attack spells). The yuan-ti can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: animal friendship (snakes only), entangle
3/day: darkness, dispel magic, suggestion
1/day: fear, polymorph (snakes only)

BONUS ACTIONS
Quick Coils.
The yuan-ti makes a constrict attack on a creature it has grappled.

REACTIONS
Sentinel Strike.
When a creature within 5 feet of the yuan-ti makes an attack against a target other than the yuan-ti, the yuan-ti can make a melee attack against the attacking creature.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
@dave2008 - Dave I got to say that I love these. Thanks for doing this. Is there a PDF document for these to download. I want to throw them into Fantasy Grounds. I guess I can just copy into a Word document but I figured I'd ask. Thanks again - these are great!!
Yes and No. Most of the monsters posted so far are updates to my 5e Hardcore Monsters and 5e Epic Monsters. Both of those documents have compiled PDF files in the Resources section. However, the ones posted in this thread are updated versions and use the official rules (with the addition of mythic stages and simplified "elite" versions of mythic monsters). Both the hardcore series and the epic series used some custom monster creation guidelines. Finally, there are some monsters that I didn't create that are linked to (mostly giants) and I don't have PDF files of those.

Now, after I get everything updated and add some new monsters along the way, I do plan to make a PDF of the whole thing. However, that is probably a year or so out.

Here is a shortcut to the Resources (the download button is in the upper right-hand corner):
5e Hardcore Monster Updates Download
5e Epic Monster Updates Download

dave2008

Legend
Yuan-ti Mageslayer
Medium monstrosity (shapechanger, yuan-ti), chaotic evil
1599920302405.png

Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 78 (12d8 + 24; bloodied 39)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
1599920297206.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
15 (+2)13 (+1)15 (+2)19 (+4)15 (+2)18 (+4)
1599920298884.png

Savings Throws Dex +4, Con +5, Int +7, Wis +7
Skills Arcana +7, Perception +5, Persuasion +7
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages Abyssal, Common, Draconic.
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP) Proficiency Bonus +3
1599920300339.png

Chameleon Camouflage. The yuan-ti can change the color and texture of its skin, giving it advantage on its Hide attempts.

Magic Resistance. The yuan-ti has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Metamagic. The yuan-ti has 10 sorcery points that it can spend to creature one of the following effects with spells cast with its spellcasting trait. The yuan-ti's regains all spent spell points after a long rest.
  • Distant Spell. The yuan-ti can spend one 1 sorcery point to range of a spell with a range of 5 feet or greater, or give a touch spell a range of 30 feet.
  • Heightened Spell. When the yuan-ti cast as spell that requires a saving throw, it can spend 3 sorcery points and give one target disadvantage on its first saving throw against that spell.
  • Quickened Spell. The yuan-ti can spend 2 sorcery points and use a bonus action to cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action.
Shapechanger. The yuan-ti can use its action to polymorph into a Medium snake or back into its true form. Its statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. It doesn’t change form if it dies.

ACTIONS
Multiattack (Yuan-ti Form Only).
The yaun-ti makes two shortsword attacks.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) poison damage and the target must make a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be grappled.

Shortsword (Yuan-ti Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.

Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target grappled by the yuan-ti. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage and the target is grappled (escape DC 13). Until the grapple ends, the target is restrained and the yuan-ti can’t constrict another target.

Venomous Tendrils (1/day). The yuan-ti selects a point it can see within 90 feet of it. The area within a 20-foot radius of the point becomes magically filled with serpent-like tendrils. When a creature enters the affected area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, the creature must succeed on a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw or take 10 (3d6) poison damage and be restrained by the tendrils. A creature that starts its turn in the area and is already restrained by the tendrils takes 10 (3d6) poison damage. A restrained creature can make additional Strength or Dexterity saving throws at the end of each of its turns, end the effect on itself on a success.

The area last for 1 minute, until it is dismissed by the yuan-ti with a bonus action, or until the yuan-ti loses concentration on the spell.

Innate Spellcasting (Yuan-ti Form Only). The yuan-ti’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15. +7 to hit with attack spells). The yuan-ti can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: animal friendship (snakes only), cause fear, entangle
3/day: darkness, dispel magic, suggestion
1/day: dimension door, fear, protection from energy

Spellcasting.
The yuan-ti is a 8th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks). The yuan-ti has the following sorcerer spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): acid splash, chill touch, dancing lights, mage hand, message
1st level (4 slots): burning hands, disguise self
2nd level (3 slots): hold person, invisibility,
3rd level (3 slots): counterspell, fireball
4th level (2 slots): blight, confusion

BONUS ACTIONS
Quick Coils.
The yuan-ti makes a constrict attack on a creature it has grappled.

Last edited:

imeannoharm

Dorkus
I'm getting ready to head out for a long weekend, but I may try to sneak in a few request before I do.
Jotund Troll- Elite Monster!
71b3ee58d1ce3b9309d01ac267f3a348.jpg

Stalker0

Legend
I really enjoyed the super big elementals. Quick question, is it intended that the Elder Elements summoned by an ancient elemental could then summon more elementals...or should I assume that summons cannot perform more summoning?

imeannoharm

Dorkus
Curious, you have made a CR34(?) version of Demogorgon in you Epic Monsters thread. Is the new mythic version CR28 because you estimate that's roughly the same power level? I'm pondering where to place the top tier Demon Lords myself, as I feel the official versions too weak. I was considering just adding 5 to all the CRs (so Demogotgon and Orcus CR31), but maybe CR28 mythic is a better fit? :unsure:
Mythic CR 34! That would truly challenge 30th level characters!

imeannoharm

Dorkus
Mythic CR 34! That would truly challenge 30th level characters!
Curious, you have made a CR34(?) version of Demogorgon in you Epic Monsters thread. Is the new mythic version CR28 because you estimate that's roughly the same power level? I'm pondering where to place the top tier Demon Lords myself, as I feel the official versions too weak. I was considering just adding 5 to all the CRs (so Demogorgon and Orcus CR31), but maybe CR28 mythic is a better fit? :unsure:
IMO based on the suggested power level of Demogorgon (e.g one that would actually challenge epic players) we have the Aspects at the bottom.
CR 9- 103 HP based on 3.5's rendition, 191-205 based on Hardcore.
Screenshot_20-01-40.jpg
Aspects would range up to the 500 HP of Out of the Abyss and Fiendish Codex.
Then come the avatars, basically as powerful as Orcus is in Rappan Athuk, at 855 HP. Only a few exist. This would be about CR 30 in the hardcore system, though making them mythic and halfing their HP to water down the CR is a good idea. Ranging up to the Mythic Demogorgon at up to 1000 HP. Then are the stats for @dave2008 5E Epic Monster demon princes. He confessed that greater gods such as Bane are too easy to kill for intended levels so I'd expect the same of demon princes. That's why I'd classify them as "favored avatars" (the most powerful outpouring of the demon prince's essence, even passing for a demon lord itself).
Then are the actual demon princes. I'd basically just make them the normal favored avatar stats with double damage, better spells, and other things unique to the demon prince only, and Mythic Rank 2. That would give Mythic Epic Demogorgon 4320 HP based on my calculations (1,440 x 3) which would be a hard fight for up to 34th level characters.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases