[5E] [OOC] JM's A Bit of Trouble (Closed)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Maybe getting some details worked out, but that’s the gist of it. Perhaps he knows another of the party?

tglassy

Adventurer
I’m putting him together. I’m apparently going with Blue for the color of his draconic bloodline. I know it’s an “evil” color, but that can make for some interesting role play. A few questions, though, before I’m done.

1. The Catapult Spell. The wording is “Choose one object weighing 1 to 5 pounds within range that isn’t being worn or carried. The object flies in a straight line up to 90 feet in a direction you choose before falling to the ground, stopping early if it impacts against a solid surface. If the object would strike a crea- ture, that creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the object strikes the target and stops moving. When the object strikes something, the object and what it strikes each take 3d8 bludgeoning damage.”

Can I, say, toss a vial of acid in the air and use Catapult to sling it at a target, doing 3d8 bludgeoning damage and have the vial break, doing an additional 2d6 acid damage? I mean, it would be an expensive way to add extra damage, but the rules seem to suggest this would work.

2. Out of curiosity, since Draconic Sorcerers have their proficiency bonus double with interactions with dragons, would that include Dragonborn and Kobalds?

tglassy

Adventurer
Meh. Fire just works better for what I have planned. I didn’t want to do fire, because our wizard seems to have fire covered, but it just works for the concept I’m developing.

Now I need to choose between Gold and Red. I’ll have his stats up by the end of the evening.

tglassy

Adventurer
Here he is. I’ll read the IC as soon as I can.

Introducing the Amazing Drake! Fire dancer and performer extraordinar! He will dazzle and amaze with his....

Ok, enough of that.

Drake’s name isn’t actually Drake, but every time he’s pressed to give his real name he gives a different one. He doesn’t talk much of his past, and he believes, likely correctly, that this gives him an air of mystery, which helps when you’re a performer.

People in the area of Bit know Drake as a traveling performer, a Fire Dancer of no small skill. At times, he has travelled with one troupe or another, but just as often he can be found roaming from town to town on his own, performing for tips or free lodging. His shows are incredible, as the Fire seems to move around him, caressing his skin, changing colors and creating fantastic shapes. It seems to flow like water, or dance around like a flock of birds at his command.

Tall and very muscular, he never wears a shirt when he doesn’t have to, showing off what most assume to be a tattoo of Ruby Red scales that covers much of his back and shoulders, running down his forearms. Very few people guess the truth. These are not tattoos, but scales as hard and beautiful as rubies, and anyone familiar with Dragonkind knows the truth.

Drake’s Draconic Heritage manifested about a year ago. He was already a talented Fire Dancer, but when his dragon blood awoke, he gained even greater mastery of it.

Drake was planning to arrive in Bit for the Sun Day Festival on the traditional skiffs that bring the people of Leed's Crossing to the Festival. He was captured while visiting a friend three nights before the festival.

[sblock=Drake]
Race: Human (V)
Class: Draconic Sorcerer 3
Background: Entertainer (Fire Dancer)

HP: 24 [(6 Class + 1 Con + 1 Draconic Sorcerer) * 3]
AC: 15 (13 Draconic Resilience + 2 Dex)

Str: 16 +3
Dex: 14 +2
Con: 12 +1
Int: 8 -1
Wis: 8 -1
Cha: 16 +3

Saves: Con +3, Cha +5
[/sblock]

[sblock=Features]
Background Features:
By Popular Demand:
Always find work at an inn, getting modest or comfortable living for free.

Racial Features:
1 Extra Language (Elvish)
Variant Human: Gain 1 Feat (Prodigy) and 1 Skill (Perception)

Feats:
Prodigy: Gain proficiency in 1 skill (Athletics), 1 tool (Alchemist Supplies), and 1 language (Giant), and gain Expertise in 1 known skill (Athletics)

Skills:
Athletics +7 (Prodigy Feat, Expertise)
Acrobatics +4 (Entertainer Background)
Perception +1(Human Variant)
Performance +5 (Entertainer Background)
Intimidation +5 (Class)
Deception +5 (Class)

Languages:
Common
Draconic
Elvish
Giant

Tools Proficiencies:
Alchemist Supplies
Disguise Kit
Lute

Weapons:
Daggers
Darts
Slings
Quarterstaffs
Light Crossbows
[/sblock]

[sblock=Class Features]

Red Dragon Sorcerer

Sorcerer Points: 3

Meta Magic: Quickened Spell, Subtle Spell

Cantrips:
Control Flame
Blade Ward
Minor Illusion
Mending

Spells:

1st (4 slots)
Shield
Catapult

2nd (2 slots)
Dragon Breath
Enlarge/Reduce

[/sblock]

[sblock=Equipment]
Light Crossbow (20 bolts)
Arcane Focus (Wand)
Explorer’s Pack
2 daggers
Lute
Trinket
Costume
15gp[/sblock]

[sblock=Traits]
Traits:
I love a good insult, even one directed at me.
I change my mood or my mind as quickly as I change key in a song

Ideal: Honesty: Art should reflect the soul, it should come from within and reveal who we really are.
Bond: I want to be famous, whatever it takes.
Flaw: I once satirized a noble who still wants my head. It was a mistake that I will likely repeat.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Add, "Drake was planning to arrive in Bit for the Sun Day Festival on the traditional skiffs that bring the people of Leed's Crossing to the Festival. He was captured while visiting a friend in three nights before the festival." to the end of that. And we have a background that fits the story so far as well.

As a spellcaster, you are probably tied up in one of the many tents. At some point, someone will discover you and untie you. Fill you in on what's happening, etc.

TallIan

Explorer
Perin’s backs storey has him wandering around the area a lot too. If thou want an extra tie they could know each other to some degree.

tglassy, once you do the following, you can post Drake to the rogue's gallery.

Include "Race: Human" near Class for easier reference. (I forget sometimes....)
Put the actual ability and skill bonuses in place.
Indicate that Athletics has expertise in the skill section too.
Under Class Features, you should indicate the color/metal of your heritage.

tglassy

Adventurer
I've updated it, but before I post I have a question. I have a Lute, and I want Alchemist Supplies. The Lute costs 35gp, and the Alchemist Supplies cost 50. I'm willing to spend the 15gp I got from my background to make up the difference if I need to.

The concept is that before his Draconic Heritage manifested, he learned Alchemy to create Alchemist's Fire to help with his Fire Dancing. According to Xanathar's Guide, proficiency with Alchemist's Supplies allows a character to buy 1 lb of materials for 50gp, and he can use a little of it at a time to create one vial of acid, alchemist's fire, antitoxin, oil, perfume or soap every long rest, subtracting half the price of the item in the PHB from the amount of materials I have. Effectively, it allows the Alchemist to create these things for half the price of buying them. I know I won't have any raw materials at the moment, but that's fine. Wizards will spend their gold on spells, I'll spend my gold on Achemist supplies. I'm planning on actually making use of my tools, rather than just having them in my character sheet and never getting use out of them.

But I need Alchemist Supplies to do that, and if I wait until i've accumulated 50gp, and then another 50gp to get the materials, that's going to be a while. I'd rather trade my Lute.

Remove ads