(5E) D&D/Moorcock Multiverse Inspiration PBP [CLOSED] - OOC discussion

JharyOConnah

Explorer
Hi all!

Been playing in a game my pop runs for a few months and now I'm itching to try my hand DMing a PBP game.

I'm a long time DM. I've even run a few email games in the past using various systems, but never here on enworld.

I'm already running a table game using 5e, so it shouldn't be hard to use it here. I know things take a bit longer here so l might be liberal with experience and keep things simple when it comes to combat.

Interested in roleplay, fun, character development, cool magic, awesome story.

I'm extremely inspired (just like papa gygax) by Michael Moorcock's fantasy multiverse. But also LOVE where D&D has gone over the years. I'd like this game to meet in the middle.

Looking for 3-7 players to start.

Happy to hear all character concepts. I will be bringing the group together through some cosmic means as the story goes, but keeping the specifics extremely broad.

Lemme know here if you'd like to play!

Cheers!

--DM Jhary

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey there!

I’d love to something weird, like a tiefling or eladrin magic user. Or even one of those underdark rangers. Could you give some guidelines regarding the starting level and source books that can be used?
Thanks and cheers,

sg

JharyOConnah

Explorer
Starting at level 1. But some cosmic movements will make the characters important/level more quickly.

Just keeping generation to core 5E. I'm open to weird concepts that fit in the Moorcock multiverse (with a generous helping of regular ole d&d). So...evil, ancient elves of different kinds, gods of law and chaos, a war in heaven, multi-verse concepts (I will be using the core d&d concepts of the planes with an inflated importance of law vs chaos).

Hope that helps!

Steve, all your character concepts would be perfect. 😁

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Starting at level 1. But some cosmic movements will make the characters important/level more quickly.

Just keeping generation to core 5E. I'm open to weird concepts that fit in the Moorcock multiverse (with a generous helping of regular ole d&d). So...evil, ancient elves of different kinds, gods of law and chaos, a war in heaven, multi-verse concepts (I will be using the core d&d concepts of the planes with an inflated importance of law vs chaos).

Hope that helps!

Steve, all your character concepts would be perfect. 😁

Very cool Jharry! ;-)

So here’s a first jab: [character name, let’s call him/her Selythin for the moment for simplicity] is part of the ancient and secretive [insert name, I will call them Thuyeres for the moment, bonus points if you get the reference, it’s rather obscure] elves. These have been shunned by other Surface elves because their association with darker magics.

So Selithin agreed/was somewhat coerced/ was forced (up to the DM, if it helps with story hooks) to participate in a dark ritual to fuse with a demon. The Ritual worked, but it had an unforeseen consequence of creating a new entity, with only vague memories of its original two selves [note that Selithin could have been anywhere from a powerful mage, a noble, a loyal warrior, to a slave forced to undergo the ritual).

Not being tied to it’s past, but influenced by his former selves’ personalities, s/he wants to discover him/herself, and sets out to the world.

this is pretty open ended but I feel it is suitable for a level 1 character. Race likely Tiefling, class TBD based on feedback, but a hellish warlock seems appropriate. I like hexblade

what do you think?

do you have any good moorcock references that I could take a look at to get better acquainted with the setting?

thanks and cheers,

SG

edit: actually, a paladin would also be cool for this ;-) I’ll wait to hear back from you before I go crazy with character concepts!

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Ralph Crenshaw does not fit in. Not at home, where his older sister excels at everything she does and his younger brother is already taller and stronger and faster. Not at school, where letters don't always look like they should and words seem too big to say with confidence. Not even with his few friends, whom Ralph secretly fears put up with him more because of pity than affection.

But alone in his room with his sketchpad on his bed, a pencil in his hand, and music in his ears, Ralph draws his dreams. Thousands -- no! -- millions of universes, and in everyone but the real one, Ralph strides confident and capable, sword at his hip, cape billowing from his broad shoulders. Everywhere and everywhen but here and today, courage fills Ralph's heart and adventures fill his time.

If only just one of those millions of other universes were the least bit real....

Last edited:

JharyOConnah

Explorer
Steve, love the character concepts. It's actually very Moorcock-ian what you've put together, although I'm sorry I didn't get your reference! 😢 Any of the backstory aspects you mentioned would be cool.

As for Moorcock references... Any Elric story. The Corum series (which was the inspiration for the hand and eye of vecna). But also his later works like Blood, or the War in Heaven.

Basically there's a huge web of universes with different aspects (extreme law or chaos or a balance between them) and these "gods" play a giant, multiverse-wide chess game trying to control the realms.

Players are pawns in this cosmic game. Just like d&d alignment, law can be good or bad. Likewise, so can chaos. Neutral characters believe in a cosmic balance within the great game of law v chaos.

Charlotte, if this sounds fun to you you're more than welcome. First level characters to start, but I'm assuming they will be inflated pretty fast (for a post game anyway). Lemme know what you'd like to play and I'll help you spin it into this stuff.

Mark, love the character! Fits right into Moorcock or maybe Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials (also a Moorcock inspiration). Perhaps Ralph has been having increasingly similar dreams of traveling in lands he's thought he'd drawn from his imagination but are becoming more and more real. Voices in the dark whisper his name in connection with a great coming war.

I think you're already there. Love it!

I'm happy to start with three characters, but I'll leave recruiting open for a week or so just to see if more are interested.

Cheers!

--DM Jhary

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hi there,

Just to clarify, what do you mean by “core” 5e. Only the phb+dmg or are the other wizards’ published 5e books ok?
Thanks and cheers,

sg

CharlotteOz

Explorer
So are we all folks from Earth who, in other realities, are D&D archetypes, or can we be from D&D "consensus fantasy universe" universes? Or a little of both?

Remove ads