D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Deities (Part 2: Greyhawk) Boccob Advances!

Scribe

Legend
Beory 24
Boccob 26
Celestian 22
Ehlonna 3
Erythnul 12
Fharlanghn 5
Heironeous 24
Kord 17
Incabulos 22
Istus 11
Nerull 11
Obad-Hai 21
Olidammara 23
Pelor 23
St. Cuthbert 26
Trithereon 15
Ulaa 16

Yardiff

Adventurer
Beory 24
Boccob 26
Celestian 22
Ehlonna 3
Erythnul 12
Fharlanghn 5
Heironeous 24
Kord 17
Incabulos 22
Istus 11
Nerull 11-2=9
Obad-Hai 21
Olidammara 23
Pelor 23
St. Cuthbert 26
Trithereon 15
Ulaa 16+1=17

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Beory 24
Boccob 26
Celestian 22
Ehlonna 3
Erythnul 12
Fharlanghn 5
Heironeous 24
Kord 17
Incabulos 22
Istus 11
Nerull 7
Obad-Hai 21
Olidammara 23
Pelor 24
St. Cuthbert 26
Trithereon 15
Ulaa 17

Omand

Hero
Beory 24
Boccob 26
Celestian 22
Ehlonna 3
Erythnul 12
Fharlanghn 5
Heironeous 24
Kord 17
Incabulos 22
Istus 11
Nerull 7 + 1 = 8
Obad-Hai 21
Olidammara 23
Pelor 24
St. Cuthbert 26 - 2 = 24 All he has is a cudgel, and his shtick is hitting people over the head. Gary Gygax created him as a joke.
Trithereon 15
Ulaa 17

Omand

Hero
That feeling when you realize a joke is the most popular part of your pantheon.
You know it. :)

But yeah, a joke deity in the vein of the Three Stooges for players demanding a deity to worship. Or at least that is the version of the tale I saw on one of Gary's threads here on ENWorld.

Cheers :)

Omand

Hero
Actually, I should slightly amend my statement about St. Cuthbert:

"All he has is a cudgel, and his shtick is hitting people over the head until they repent and convert."

Omand

Hero
I don't know how to break it to you, but everything in Greyhawk was Gygax creating stuff as a joke.
Well yes, I know that in general.

But some of the deities are a bit more serious in conception, even if they focus on archetypes and stereotypes of other deities/pantheons.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I don't know how to break it to you, but everything in Greyhawk was Gygax creating stuff as a joke.
Well yes, I know that in general.

But some of the deities are a bit more serious in conception, even if they focus on archetypes and stereotypes of other deities/pantheons.

Side note: This is why I generally don't get the complaints about certain D&D settings or playstyles being "too silly". The setting that Gygax, the creator of D&D, made was about 90% jokes and 10% stealing from other IPs (Tolkien, Lovecraft, Moorcock, etc). He created iconic monsters such as the Displacer Beast (a black panther with tentacles sprouting from its shoulders), the Owlbear, the Rust Monster, the Gelatinous Cube, and the Beholder (a giant floating head that shoots laser beams out of its 11 eyeballs, 10 of which are mounted on eye-stalks).

"Silliness" is part of D&D's core identity. It's a silly fantasy game. Even the "serious settings" like Dark Sun and Ravenloft have super silly stuff in them (cannibal halflings, 6-limbed psionic ant-people, vampiric mind flayers, an ooze made up of the blood of a dead god that acts as a puppeteer-parasite for other creatures, floating undead heads that want to eat you, etc). D&D is silly. It's supposed to be. There is not a single setting in all of D&D (including homebrew and Magic: the Gathering settings) that isn't silly.

Most of the most iconic NPCs are extremely silly, too. Volothamp Geddarm (incompetent traveler-author of the Forgotten Realms that is perpetually super resourceful, but also super broke), Xanathar (aforementioned floating-alien-laser-head, but this one runs a crime syndicate and has a pet goldfish that he believes is immortal), Fizban (elderly, senile archmage avatar the Top God of Dragonlance), Iggwilv/Tasha (a witch raised by Baba Yaga that had an affair with the Demon Lord of hedonism and gave birth to a demigod, and rules over a demiplane in D&D's Fairyland), Minsc and Boo (One of them is a Miniature Giant Space Hamster. Need I say more?), Jarlaxle Baenre and Drizzt Do'Urden, and so on.

/rant

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases