D&D 5E 5E Survivor - 5th Edition Survives! [+]

Scribe

Legend
Since you all killed off the rightful lineal heir to 3e/3.5...

Original Dungeons and Dragons 37
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 60
Basic Dungeons and Dragons 52
B/X Dungeons and Dragons 50
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 55
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition 56
Dungeons & Dragons, Rules Cyclopedia Edition 56
Classic Dungeons & Dragons 33
Dungeons & Dragons, 3rd Edition 9
Dungeons & Dragons, 3.5 Edition 35
Dungeons & Dragons, 4th Edition 47
Dungeons & Dragons, Essentials 25
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 52

Original Dungeons and Dragons 38
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 58
Dungeons & Dragons, 3rd Edition 9
Dungeons & Dragons, 4th Edition 47

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
you gotta play some 4e then. I think you are gonna dig it. (I assumed you had already played it before)
I've heard a lot of people discuss 4e and how it worked, and I do like the base concept of a lot of it (especially the lore), but I really hate number bloat. For all of 5e's faults, I feel that Bounded Accuracy is one of the best decisions that WotC could have made for the edition. That's why I've never played 3.5e or either of the editions of Pathfinder. I have ADHD, and I already have a hard enough time remembering the conditions and spells that are placed on characters and enemies in combat in my 5e game, so I really think I would struggle with all of 4e's status effects.

(I also don't like the character roles. I think they were an interesting idea, but just don't like what I've heard of them.)

However, I have played those D&D Board Games that Wizards of the Coast has produced (Tomb of Annihilation, Legends of Drizzt, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, Princes of the Apocalypse, etc), which are heavily based off of a simplified version of 4e's ruleset (with the newer games being merged with some of the better parts of 5e), using Powers, Healing Surges, tactical grid-focused combat, magic items that can only be used once a day, and a few other parts of 4e, and my table has really enjoyed playing those.

Undrave

Legend
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 58
Dungeons & Dragons, 3rd Edition 9-2=7
Dungeons & Dragons, 4th Edition 47+1=48

Bolares

Hero
I've heard a lot of people discuss 4e and how it worked, and I do like the base concept of a lot of it (especially the lore), but I really hate number bloat. For all of 5e's faults, I feel that Bounded Accuracy is one of the best decisions that WotC could have made for the edition. That's why I've never played 3.5e or either of the editions of Pathfinder. I have ADHD, and I already have a hard enough time remembering the conditions and spells that are placed on characters and enemies in combat in my 5e game, so I really think I would struggle with all of 4e's status effects.

(I also don't like the character roles. I think they were an interesting idea, but just don't like what I've heard of them.)

However, I have played those D&D Board Games that Wizards of the Coast has produced (Tomb of Annihilation, Legends of Drizzt, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, Princes of the Apocalypse, etc), which are heavily based off of a simplified version of 4e's ruleset (with the newer games being merged with some of the better parts of 5e), using Powers, Healing Surges, tactical grid-focused combat, magic items that can only be used once a day, and a few other parts of 4e, and my table has really enjoyed playing those.
Oh I hate number bloat too. But if you are organized in how you transcribe your powers, and use a good character sheet that does most of the math for you the number bloat kind of fades away. I'll never touch 3e again if I can avoid it, but 4e has a lot going for it. And bloated or not, the game WORKS. The math absolutelly checks out (post erratas), and creating encounters for it is delicious. I have a player with ADHD in my 4e group (this one I play, don't DM), and me and the DM help him organize his power cards and we print condition cards and other helpfull handouts. With your love of symmetry, this game seems to be a right fit, with a good DM you'd be golden

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
What you mean by that? you don't like the roles being spelled out like that? Classes being defined by it?
How there's the 4 roles; Striker, Leader, Controller, and Defender, and that they get a lot of the same powers across classes of the same roles. I watched the Puffin Forest video about 4e, which described how a Cleric would get a Healing Word power that was completely identical in mechanics to a Bard's Inspiring Word power and other Leader classes' healing powers. Basically how some of the classes had basically identical powers to each other, with just different names, so a lot of the classes in the same roles played very similarly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, because I assume you're quite familiar with the system, much more than I am from just hearing people on Youtube describe the system. Maybe Puffin Forest was exaggerating a bit for how common stuff like this was in 4e, but I really don't like the game design of "here are a bunch of powers that do the exact same thing, but are just different names".

Bolares

Hero
How there's the 4 roles; Striker, Leader, Controller, and Defender, and that they get a lot of the same powers across classes of the same roles. I watched the Puffin Forest video about 4e, which described how a Cleric would get a Healing Word power that was completely identical in mechanics to a Bard's Inspiring Word power and other Leader classes' healing powers. Basically how some of the classes had basically identical powers to each other, with just different names, so a lot of the classes in the same roles played very similarly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, because I assume you're quite familiar with the system, much more than I am from just hearing people on Youtube describe the system. Maybe Puffin Forest was exaggerating a bit for how common stuff like this was in 4e, but I really don't like the game design of "here are a bunch of powers that do the exact same thing, but are just different names".
Hmm, that's not completelly accurate. Do they occupy the same spaces? sure. but the powers are absolutelly not the same. A cleric a bard and a warlord all have healling encounter powers that you can use multiple times, but this powers are all different, and more importantly, each class has A LOT more powers that differentiate them. Our party has two strikers and two leaders (and I'm a defender), but the barbarian and the rogue (strikers) feel really different in how they deal their f* ton of damage, and the warlord and cleric (leaders) all support the party, but while the cleric focuses in keeping us alive and giving positive buffs, the warlord only heals tangencially, and is much more focused in positioning us well to do our jobs.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 58+1=59
Dungeons & Dragons, 3rd Edition 7