D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

imeannoharm

Dorkus
To clarify, I don't mind animals / creatures having bite attacks. But making a standard attack for most humanoids, and the Juton Troll in particular is pretty ridiculous to me. The MM has this problem too.
Probably a replacement so they don't have to come up with more interesting and unique abilities.

dave2008

Legend
Here is my W.I.P General of Gehenna. I don't have many ideas for special attacks or region and lair effects, any suggestions? Of course the lair and regional effects will not be lumped up with abilities in the finished version, but I can't do that yet.
View attachment 126106
That is a good start - thanks! I actually had an idea about the General last night that wraps it into the Oinodaemon. I need to figure out some basic traits for the Archdaemons like I've post for deities (and archdevils and demons in my 5e epic updates) before I start posting the archfiends. But this will be great inspiration! No idea about lair and regional effects at this point.

dave2008

Legend
Probably a replacement so they don't have to come up with more interesting and unique abilities.
I think they do it for ease and don't really think it through. Most humanoids who bite something (and many animals - like big cats) need to get at least some control of the animal before they bite it. That is why I often make a bite either a bonus action if a target is grappled or make the target of the bite need to be a grappled or incapacitated. Or a reaction like:

REACTIONS
Bite.
If a creature ends is turn grappled by the troll, the troll can make a bite attack targeting the grappled creature.

imeannoharm

Dorkus
That is a good start - thanks! I actually had an idea about the General last night that wraps it into the Oinodaemon. I need to figure out some basic traits for the Archdaemons like I've post for deities (and archdevils and demons in my 5e epic updates) before I start posting the archfiends. But this will be great inspiration! No idea about lair and regional effects at this point.
Faces of Evil: The Fiends suggests that the baernoloths are the superiors of the general. They also suggest that the baernoloths are not yugoloths, but their creators, and they are actually some ancient primeval race. That is evidence for my theory that they are some sort of obyrith progenitors/masters! Also the fiendish codex recounts (page 147) that the obyrith lord Bechard claims his people did not originate in the Abyss, but originated elsewhere after abandoning a race of fiendish creators. Someone else actually noticed that too.
Greyhawk wiki: "Sometimes classified as greater yugoloths, baernoloths are actually the primal champions of evil who created the yugoloth and demodand races. "
And in turn, the General created the obyriths and Baatorians.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Faces of Evil: The Fiends suggests that the baernoloths are the superiors of the general. They also suggest that the baernoloths are not yugoloths, but their creators, and they are actually some ancient primeval race. That is evidence for my theory that they are some sort of obyrith progenitors/masters! Also the fiendish codex recounts (page 147) that the obyrith lord Bechard claims his people did not originate in the Abyss, but originated elsewhere after abandoning a race of fiendish creators. Someone else actually noticed that too.
Gretchen wiki: "Sometimes classified as greater yugoloths, baernoloths are actually the primal champions of evil who created the yugoloth and demodand races. "
And in turn, the General created the obyriths and Baatorians.
A lies told by those jealous fiends IMO ;)

That is not the story I use for sure. I pretty much skipped all of the lore in 2e - 3e (when this stuff originated I believe). I pick and choose what I like, but I don't except it as is. Regardless, if I do write any lore it would be very ambiguous and allow for multiple interpretations. I try to weave together the lore of all editions.

For me: Antrhaxus = Oinodaemon = General of Gehenna, and I am thinking his stat block will have two myhtic traits: one called Oinodaemon and one called General of Gehenna.

It is interesting that the description of the baernoloths, is very similar to the description of Anthraxus.

dave2008

Legend
I noticed your Hardcore Klurichir was CR 19, but they are stronger than Balors.
Balor: CR 20
Klurichir: CR 25 (28 in 4e)
A balor was a lvl 27 Elite Brute in 4e (624 HP), the 4e klurichir was a lvl 28 soldier (258 HP). The balor was a much stronger demon in 4e than the klurichir. And that is the way I like it ;) You've just reminded me to make sure I bump the balor up on power when I get to it - thanks!

FYI, I don't personally like it, but the only demons that are routinely strong than balors are molydeus. In 5e the molydeus is CR 21 IIRC. If I had my preference the balor would always be top dog.

For Reference:
4e Balor
1599931270015.png

4e Klurichir:
1599931310560.png

dave2008

Legend
Yuan-ti Cleric of Sseth
Medium monstrosity (shapechanger, yuan-ti), chaotic evil
1599952174297.png

Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 82 (15d8 + 15; bloodied 41)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
1599952175554.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
14 (+2)12 (+1)13 (+1)16 (+3)20 (+4)14 (+2)
1599952176470.png

Savings Throws Dex +3, Con +3, Wis +6
Skills Arcana +5, Insight +6, Religion +5
Damage Resistances necrotic
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages Abyssal, Common, Draconic.
Challenge 3 (7000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2
1599952177571.png

Channel Sseth (2/short rest). When the yuan-ti hits a creature with a melee attack, the yuan-ti can choose to add 13 additional necrotic damage to the attack.

Magic Resistance. The yuan-ti has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Shapechanger. The yuan-ti can use its action to polymorph into a Medium snake or back into its true form. Its statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. It doesn’t change form if it dies.

ACTIONS
Bite.
Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) poison damage and the target must make a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be grappled.

Shortsword (Yuan-ti Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage, plus 4 (1d8) poison damage.

Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target grappled by the yuan-ti. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage plus 4 (1d8) poison damage and the target is grappled (escape DC 12). Until the grapple ends, the target is restrained and the yuan-ti can’t constrict another target.

Innate Spellcasting (Yuan-ti Form Only). The yuan-ti’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14. +6 to hit with attack spells). The yuan-ti can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: animal friendship (snakes only)
3/day: darkness, suggestion
1/day: fear

Spellcasting.
The yuan-ti is a 8th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). The yuan-ti has the following sorcerer spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): guidance, mending, poison spray, resistance, thaumaturgy
1st level (4 slots): bane, false life, ray of sickness
2nd level (3 slots): blindness/deafness, ray of enfeeblement, silence
3rd level (3 slots): animate dead, dispel magic, vampiric touch
4th level (3 slots): banishment, blight, death ward

Sseth's Blessing. The yuan-ti's weapon attacks deal an extra 1d8 poison damage (included in the attack).

Summon Serpents (1/Day). The magically summons 1d4 giant poisonous snakes. The summoned snakes appear in an unoccupied space within 60 feet of their summoner, act as an allies of their summoner, and follow its commands. The snakes remain until they or their summoner dies, or until the summoner dismisses them as a bonus action.

BONUS ACTIONS
Quick Coils.
The yuan-ti makes a constrict attack on a creature it has grappled.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases