D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
I know this is old school, but I liked the variety of 4e dragon alignment.

They are mortals themselves.

Familiars? Paladin mount? Skill check?

This is convoluted. I suggest double range when it flies. Makes it easier to remember.

No dex to AC armor?

I like this 🙂

Edit: tactics tomorrow 🙂
Sleeping time in my part of the world
I've updated the entry. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Annam, the All-Father
Annam is the chief giant deity and creator of the giant race, known also as the Prime, the Progenitor of Worlds, the Great Creator, and the Creator-By-Thought.

Annam appears as a giant of massive size, standing at least 100 feet (30 meters) tall if not taller. He has white hair and a large full beard, and was clad in robes of midnight blue.

Divine Realm
Annam's divine realm is Gudheim, a crystal palace at the center of Jotunheim, a realm in the first layer of the plane of Ysgard. The palace included an orrery crafted by his grandsons (the fire giant sons of Masud) in honor of his actions during the war with the dragons. It had an endlessly spinning model of all the planes, stars, and planets. Many of the other members of the Ordning regularly spent time in Gudheim, and pious giant priests were said to be invited to dine with them shortly before death. Stronmaus primarily dwelt in a cloud palace connected to Gudheim. The plains of Jotunheim surrounded the palace and the spirits of heroic mortal giants guarded the realm.

Annam is more powerful when he is in his divine realm. While in Gudheim, Annam is considered CR 40 (405,000 XP / 2,025,000 XP) and he gains the following attributes:
  • He has advantage on attack rolls.
  • His regeneration increases to 60 hit points regained.
  • He can use realm actions,
  • He gains another mythic stage. He can use any of his legendary and mythic actions in this stage.
Realm Actions
While he is in Gudheim, Annam can take one of the following realm actions on initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties):
  • Annam instantly knows the locations and health of all other creatures in Gudheim. She knows how much damage each of these creatures has taken and what conditions or other effects that are affecting them currently. Creatures of level or CR 25 and greater can make a DC 26 Wisdom saving throw to avoid being detected by Annam. On a successful save, Annam does not know the creature's location or health.
  • Annam teleports to any location of his choice within Gudheim.
  • Annam telepathically communicates with any number of creatures at once, provided they’re all in the Gudheim.
  • Annam uses his summon giants action and his ability to use the action immediately recharges. He can use this realm action once per mythic stage.
Relationships
1600380614447.gif
Annam has mixed relationships with his children, favoring Stronmaus, Hiatea, and Iallanis and despairing over Grolantor, Karontor, Memnor, and the ever-competing Surtr and Thrym. Though Surtr did have his father's favor due to his skillful crafting of weapons and arms. His relationship with Skoraeus Stonebones is less well known due to his son's reclusive nature. Diancastra is also favored child, as he found her wit amused him and lifted his depressions as little else did. Due to his isolation and high opinion of himself, he does not interact with other gods often.

---

Annam
Gargantuan giant (greater god), neutral
View attachment 125483
AC 28 (natural armor)
Hit Points 1200 (40d20 + 400)
Speed 300 ft., climb 200 ft, swim 200 ft.
View attachment 125480
STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
39 (+14)24 (+12)30 (+10)26 (+8)28 (+9)30 (+10)
View attachment 125481
Savings Throws Str +25, Dex +23, Con +21, Int +19, Wis +20, Cha +21
Skills Arcana +30, Athletics +25, History +19, Insight +20, Intimidation +21, Religion +19
Damage Resistances force; refer to greater god traits
Damage Immunities necrotic, psychic; refer to greater god traits
Condition Immunities paralyzed, restrained; refer to greater god traits
Senses blindsight 800 ft., darkvision 2000 ft., tremorsense 1000 ft., truesight 500 ft., passive Perception 19
Languages All, telepathy 1000 ft.
Challenge 39 (375,000 XP)
View attachment 125482

All-Fathers Might (Mythic Trait, 3/ Short or Long Rest). If Annam is reduced to 0 hit points, he doesn’t die or fall unconscious. Instead, all conditions and effects he is suffering end for him, he regains 1,000 hit points, and all of his abilities recharge.

Colossal. Annam is 100 feet tall and his space is 75 feet by 75 feet. Any Huge or smaller creature can enter his space and must do so to hit him with an attack with a reach or range of 15 feet or less. Additionally, any creature adjacent to a Medium or smaller target that is hit by one of Annam’s melee attacks must make a DC 32 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage as the initial target. Annam has advantage on saving throws against being pushed or knocked prone, unless the creature has the colossal trait or the spell in question is 12th level or similar powerful magic.

Greater Deity. Annam has the following greater god traits:
Discorporation, Divine Being, Divine Might, Divine Reflexes, Limited Magic Immunity, Magic Weapons, Regeneration, Unstoppable.

Magic Weapons. Refer to greater god traits. In addition, he wields the artifact Wyrmhammer, a colossal epic warhammer. Wyrmhammer instantly returns to Annam's hand if he wills it (no action).

Innate Spellcasting. Refer to greater god traits. In addition, Annam's spellcasting ability is Charisma (Save DC 29, +21 to hit with attack spells). He can innately cast, at will, any spell a giant can cast. Additionally, Annam can also cast the following spells:

3/Day: storm of vengeance, control weather, earthquake (2000 feet)
2/Day: form of the gods, circle of devestation, pyroclasm, cloud kill (12th level)

Tornado. Annam can use a bonus action create a massive whirlwind of air in a 200-foot radius around him. Targets in the area must make a DC 30 Strength saving throw or be pushed 200 feet. If a pushed target strikes a solid surface, the target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was pushed. If the target is pushed at another creature, that creature must succeed on a DC 30 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
Annam uses War Cry and then makes a melee attack.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +25 to hit, reach 75 ft., one target. Hit: 114 (40d4 + 14) bludgeoning damage and the target must make a DC 32 Strength saving throw be knocked prone or pushed 10 feet for each point it fails the save by or grappled, Annam's choice. A Large or smaller creature grappled this way is also restrained.

Wyrmhammer. Melee Weapon Attack: +25 to hit, reach 100 ft. or ranged 800/1600 ft., one target. Hit: 194 (40d8 + 14) bludgeoning damage and the target must make a DC 32 Strength saving throw be knocked prone or pushed 10 feet for each point it fails the save by, Annam's choice.

Stomp. Annam stomps one of his feet at a point on the ground within 20 feet of him. Any creature in a 10-foot-radius, 20-foot-high cylinder centered on this point must succeed on a DC 33 Dexterity saving throw or take 114 (40d4 + 14) bludgeoning damage and fall prone. Until Annam uses his Stomp again or moves, the creature is restrained. While restrained in this way, the creature (or another creature within 5 feet of it) can use its action to make a DC 33 Strength check. On a success, the creature relocates to an unoccupied space of its choice within 5 feet of the colossus and is no longer restrained.
Structures, as well as nonmagical objects that are neither being worn nor carried, take the same amount of damage if they are in the cylinder (no save).

Boulder. Ranged Weapon Attack: +25 to hit, range 1,000/3000 ft., one target. Hit: 154 (40d6 + 14) bludgeoning damage and if the target is Large or smaller, each creature adjacent to the target must make a DC 32 saving throw or take the same damage.

All-Father Assault (Recharge 5-6). Annam selects a point he can see within 1,000 feet of him and calls upon the power of his giant children to smite his foes. Each creature of his choice within a 100-foot radius and 400-foot tall pillar centered on that point must make a DC 29 Dexterity saving throw, taking 36 (8d8) bludgeoning damage, plus 36 (8d8) cold damage, plus 36 (8d8) fire damage, plus 36 (8d8) force damage, plus 36 (8d8) lightning damage, and 36 (8d8) thunder damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

War Cry. Annam bellows a might battle cry. Each creature of the Annam's choice that is within 1,000 feet of him and can hear him must succeed on a DC 20 Wisdom saving throw or be stunned until the start of Anam's next turn and freightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the Annam's War Cry for the next 24 hours.

Change Shape. Annam magically polymorphs into any true giant species or back into his true form. His statistics, apart from size and special abilities, are the same in each form. If Annam dies, he reverts to its true form.

Summon Giants (1/Short Rest). Annam summons giants whose combined average hit points don’t exceed 1000. The giants appear in unoccupied spaces within 1000 feet of Annam.

REACTIONS
Parry.
Annam adds 5 to his AC against one attack that would hit him. To do so, he must see the attacker and be wielding a weapon or shield.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Annam can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Annam can use any unspent legendary actions at the end of each round and she regains spent legendary actions at the start of her turn.

Move. Annam moves up to half his speed and he doesn't provoke opportunity attacks from Large or smaller creatures.
Regenerate. Annam regenerates 30 hit points.
Quick Casting. Annam cast in at will spell.
Attack (Costs 2 Actions). Annam makes a slam, stomp, or warhammer attack.
Throw (Costs 3 actions). Annam makes a boulder attack.

MYTHIC ACTIONS
If Annam’s mythic trait is active, he can use the options below as legendary actions for 1 hour after using All-Fathers Might. If the mythic trait is only available at specific mythic stage, it is available at the stage listed and each subsequent stage.

Sweeping Attack (Recharge 4-6). Annam swings his warhammer in a 100-foot cone and makes a warhammer attack against each creature in the cone.
Spell Casting (Costs 2 Actions). Annam casts a spell.
Brutal Strike (Stage 2, Cost 3 Actions). The next time Annam makes a warhammer or stomp attack, if that attack hits it is considered a critical hit.
Fling (Stage 3, Cost 2 Actions). One Large or smaller object held or creature grappled by the Annam is thrown up to 400 feet in a random direction and knocked prone. If a thrown target strikes a solid surface, the target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown. If the target is thrown at another creature, that creature must succeed on a DC 32 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone.
Thunderous Stomp (Stage 3, Cost 3 Actions, Recharge 5-6). Annam makes a stomp attack. Additionally, Annam creates a 200-foot radius shock wave centered on the stomp. The area becomes difficult terrain and all creatures in the are must make a DC 33 Dexterity or be pushed 10 feet for each point it failed the save and knocked prone. A creature takes 4 (1d8) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown.

---

Annam as a Mythic Encounter
Annam is a deadly fight for the most seasoned mortals. However, if he is facing epic adventurers (lvls 21+) you might wish to have Annam use his All-Fathers Might mythic trait and really ramp up the danger. When this happens, Annam displays his full full divine might instead of discorporating. Annam can choose one of his mythic actions when he uses a legendary action.

Read or paraphrase the following text when Annam uses her All-Fathers Might trait:

Future descriptive text goes here

Fighting Annam as a mythic encounter is equivalent to taking on four CR 39 creatures in one encounter. Award a party 1,500,000 XP for defeating Annam after she uses All-Fathers Might.
Can't greater gods use 5 legendary actions?

I was just thinking about this and one thing I haven't added that 4e swarms have is vulnerability to damage from AoE attacks. I think I should add that back in as it makes sense that AoE attacks would do more damage to a swarm. Not saying this will solve the problem, as I am not sure there is one, but it helps.

Regarding the Hezrou Horde (which is a WIP), I guess I don't see it as unkillable. Remember every time its looses a 1/4 of its HP, a legendary action goes away making it less dangerous each time. I am not sure where you're getting the 1/2 damage on everything (except spells and similar). My group is currently 15th level and consists of 4 fighters, a Rogue Scout (which we call a ranger), and Wizard. I feel the fighters alone can easy lop off more the 280 HP in the first round (every attack is virtually a guaranteed hit) and they don't have the extra attack or action surge you would get at 20th level. By my estimate, at that level (20th) they would have the horde down to the last stage in about 2 rounds, then it is mop up time.I
Hezrou Horde
Challenge 27 (105,000 XP)

This is probably the first swarm that I think would live up to its CR (edit: ok probalby the vrock chaos squad too as I just saw that one), mainly because its nigh truly unkillable. I feel the party could literally throw the kitchen sink at this thing and barely dent it.... as almost everything they use would be halfed in damage (if not 1/4 because of the posioned condition). And a 16 AC, while still quite hittable for 20th level...is actually high enough that it might cause some misses on a 2 or 3 instead of just a 1....which over such a large amount of HP to chew through would actually matter.

I actually feel like this would turn into one of 3 things:

1) An unbeatable fight. If the party doesn't have the tools to fight this thing, they just cast something to slow this thing down and run like hell. If they can't run, they simply die, plinking against an invincible hoard. I'm all for that with such high CRs.
2) Throw 5 banishments at it (the first 4 are consumed by unstoppable and probably 1 spell the creature saved against). Swarm Resistance doesn't actually effect banishment, so the creature goes poof.
3) Use some autowin like mass fly (as it has no ranged attacks and no fly) or create a wall with a small opening (can only squeeze as a large creature can), or the 9th level invulnerability or something... and then prepare for the most boring fight of their lives, as they plink away at this thing with cantrips for an hour.

This is probably best used as a plot device, even with a 20th level party...it would just be so boring to fight head on.
As Stalker0 said you could miss only on a 3 or lower. And as you said it wouldn't last that long because the difficulty decreases as the Hezrou Horde's hp declines.
Putting that together mid-teen level characters shouldn't fear for their lives in this fight. But you said that to an extent, lesser God's weren't meant for 20th level + a few boons. CR 27 is like a lesser god. But even 22nd levels have no problem with this swarm. Would you consider bumping the A.C. to 19 to compensate?

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
I've updated the entry. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

lair action updates look solid.

sustained breath: I feel like your trying to force a flavor here, and complicating the mechanic to do that. A simple auto recharge covers 90% of the flavor of a dragon “sustaining” his breath over a few rounds, and it’s dirt simple. Yes it’s not exactly the same as a breath that you sweep around round to round...but it’s close.

dragon fear: I’m on board with a simple 1 HD restriction on the general fear aura, and it’s auto fear until they are out of sensory range of the dragon. Perfect flavor, simple mechanics. I’m not sure why there needs to be special rules for familiars and trained pets and the like. Just like certain creatures are strong against magic, i think it’s fine that dragons are strong against “pet users”...let that be an interesting challenge for the players.

dragon hide: you should definately add the dex notes to the ACs, else people will assume their is none.

overland flight: for the 2 round requirement, what is the motivation? Pure flavor, or is there a mechanical concern you are trying to address?

wing buffet: why does the dragon need to land to use this ability? Is it so bad to just let them hover and maintain the ability but lose all the other attacks to do it?

Remove ads