D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
How do you calculate CR adjustment for resistance to uncommon/rare/very rare weapons?
Well, I really only plan to use that on the epic updates, where the expectation is that everyone has magic items. It should be more flavor than mechanical effect. I don't plan to figure it into the CR any more than resistances or immunities to magical weapons in standard play.

At least that is the current plan. As always I am open to revision.

dave2008

Legend
I have the adult blue dragon up for review and comment. I tried to lean into the artillery role the had in 4e. It is a bit different from the green and red as it is comparatively a glass canon where the other to are very balanced. Let me know what you think.

Blue Dragon, Adult (Legendary, CR 17)

Well, I really only plan to use that on the epic updates, where the expectation is that everyone has magic items. It should be more flavor than mechanical effect. I don't plan to figure it into the CR any more than resistances or immunities to magical weapons in standard play.

At least that is the current plan. As always I am open to revision.
It's just that magic weapon resistance is worth nothing above CR 6 or so. With your take it might actually be relevant (and thus affect hp calculations). I'm fine with it not affecting CR, only then at what CR is it appropriate to be resistant to uncommon/rare etc.?

You use it for the dragons, which prompted me to ask. (and they are not epic ports)

Shapechange: I was thinking about as an action, like the metallic dragons. How do mean as a trait?

Size: I did make the greens smaller than the red. The colossal green wyrm's space is 30x30, but the red is 40x40, Is that good enough?
Forget trait. Action is right.

You give the Ancient green the colossal trait. So it was not the number of squares, but the trait I meant.
But like I said, no biggie

dave2008

Legend
It's just that magic weapon resistance is worth nothing above CR 6 or so. With your take it might actually be relevant (and thus affect hp calculations). I'm fine with it not affecting CR, only then at what CR is it appropriate to be resistant to uncommon/rare etc.?

You use it for the dragons, which prompted me to ask. (and they are not epic ports)
I'm undecided about how much I change and I agree that could solve an issue with magic resistance. If which case it would affect the CR via effective HP, just like it says in the DMG for resistances. However, it would probably alter the math for resistance by tier in the DMG. I will have to think about it. I haven't really had to get into it yet - but I will soon!

Actually, the dragons don't have B/P/S resistance, the can just bypass the B/P/S resistances / immunities of epic level monsters that do. So it works for both groups (simple magic resistance vs rarity magic resistance). That was intential - you should always be able to use dragons ;)

EDIT: To be clear these are mix of my hardcore, epic, and just new dragons. I'm not do a separate series of "epic" chromatic dragons.

PS I will try to get to Cyan after I finish all the chromatic dragons

Ah yes, I mixed it up. Sorry.
But the question remains. I'm thinking about having fx devils have such resistances without being epic, so interested in your thoughts

dave2008

Legend
Ah yes, I mixed it up. Sorry.
But the question remains. I'm thinking about having fx devils have such resistances without being epic, so interested in your thoughts
Not sure what FX devils are but here is my first pass:

Using the DMG as a starting point, which uses B/P/S as an example for increase effective HP based on resistances, I would be inclined to move it up one tier for rarity.
DMG pg 277

Effective Hit Points. If a monster has resistance or immunity to several damage types—especially bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons—and not all the characters in the party possess the means to counteract that resistance or immunity, you need to take these defenses into account when comparing your monster’s hit points to its expected challenge rating. Using the Effective Hit Points Based on Resistances and Immunities table, apply the appropriate multiplier to the monster’s hit points to determine its effective hit points for the purpose of gauging its final challenge rating. (The monster’s actual hit points shouldn’t change.)

For example, a monster with an expected challenge rating of 6, 150 hit points, and resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons effectively has 225 hit points (using the 1.5 multiplier for resistances) for the purpose of gauging its final challenge rating.

Effective Hit Points Based on Resistances and Immunities​

Expected Challenge RatingHP Multiplier for ResistancesHP Multiplier for Immunities
1–4× 2× 2
5–10× 1.5× 2
11–16× 1.25× 1.5
17-20× 1× 1.25
21 or more× 1× 1.125

Rare magical BPS Effective Hit Points Based on Resistances and Immunities​

Expected Challenge RatingHP Multiplier for ResistancesHP Multiplier for Immunities
1–4× 2× 2
5–10× 2× 2
11–16× 1.5× 2
17 -20× 1.25× 1.5
21 or more× 1× 1.25

Very Rare magical BPS Effective Hit Points Based on Resistances and Immunities​

1–4× 2× 2
5–10× 2× 2
11–16× 2× 2
17-20× 1.5× 2
21-25× 1.25× 1.5
26 or more× 1× 1.25

Legendary magical BPS Effective Hit Points Based on Resistances and Immunities​

1–4× 2× 2
5–10× 2× 2
11–16× 2× 2
17-20× 2× 2
21-25× 1.5× 2
26 or more× 1.25× 1.5

Artifact magical BPS Effective Hit Points Based on Resistances and Immunities​

1–4× 2× 2
5–10× 2× 2
11–16× 2× 2
17-20× 2× 2
21-25× 2× 2
26 or more× 1.5× 2

Last edited:

Shapechange: I was thinking about as an action, like the metallic dragons. How do mean as a trait?

Size: I did make the greens smaller than the red. The colossal green wyrm's space is 30x30, but the red is 40x40, Is that good enough?
Isn't 30x30 small for a colossal creature? I thought the minimum was 60x60.

Not sure what FX devils are but here is my first pass:
For example devils.

I would move the original DMG table (and thus all of your other tables as well) up one category for weapon resistances, i.e. x1.25 for CR6-10 and x1 multiplier for CR11-16 and so on. I really don't think magic weapon resistance is as relevant as the DMG wants it to be.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases