D&D 5E 5th edition should most resemble?

2, 4, 6, and 7.

I think you can pull off the combination through careful rules application, because you can achieve the feel of OD&D/BECMI and AD&D within a 3.X-like d20 framework through simpler fixed progression character options and by not selecting a host of optional modular rules.

Oh, if it is a multiple selection poll, I vote:

4 and 8.
Although I don´t really understand what you mean with 4e including essentials and OTHER GAMES...

4e and essentials are identical...

WheresMyD20

First Post
Of the options you presented, I think it will be most like 6.

More specifically, I think that the core rules of 5e will be the small set of rules from every edition 0e-4e which overlap, but interpreted through a unified d20 mechanic.

Greg K

Legend
7. With elements drawn from 3e Unearthed Arcana, some 3rd party supplements, 2e (e.g., Specialty Priests), 4e, and True20.

Bobbum Man

Banned
Banned
I'd like to see something that is an amalgam of 4th and BECMI.

Here's what I DON'T want to see:

• Spell resistance
  • Damage reduction
  • Level drain
  • Ability score damage
  • Flat-footed/Touch AC
  • 3.x style multi-classing
  • Wealth By Level
  • Challenge Ratings
  • Effective Character Level
  • Level Adjustment
  • Stat boosting items
  • NPC/PC transparency
  • Save or die
  • HP bloat
  • THAC0
  • Disparate resolution mechanics
  • % miss chances
I think that it's entirely possible that D&DN will have a completely new base system from anything we've seen before. It would almost have to. I just hope that we don't see a return of the schizophrenic subsystems of AD&D, the bookkeeping nightmares of 3rd edition, or the plodding, metagame-y nature of 4th edition.

nedjer

Adventurer
I'd like to see something that is an amalgam of 4th and BECMI.

Here's what I DON'T want to see:

• Spell resistance
  • Damage reduction
  • Level drain
  • Ability score damage
  • Flat-footed/Touch AC
  • 3.x style multi-classing
  • Wealth By Level
  • Challenge Ratings
  • Effective Character Level
  • Level Adjustment
  • Stat boosting items
  • NPC/PC transparency
  • Save or die
  • HP bloat
  • THAC0
  • Disparate resolution mechanics
  • % miss chances
I think that it's entirely possible that D&DN will have a completely new base system from anything we've seen before. It would almost have to. I just hope that we don't see a return of the schizophrenic subsystems of AD&D, the bookkeeping nightmares of 3rd edition, or the plodding, metagame-y nature of 4th edition.

No level drains? Not even an ability points off drain option? How am I meant to make players scared of the undead? :)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
9) Cops and Robbers ("I hit you." "Nuh uh." Yes, I did. "Nuh uh. My force field protects me." "Cops don't have shield spell" "I'm a magic cop.")
10) All of the above

Remove ads