ZEITGEIST A Pixie in Zeitgeist?

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
One of my players is enamored with small characters. After her halfling vampire died for the second time, she wants to make a Pixie Swordmage.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how a Pixie would fit into the Zeitgeist setting in such a way that she would end up working in or with the RHC. Risur seems to have a pretty contentious relationship with the Fey in general, and a tiny winged person seems like she'd be far more persecuted/hunted than an Eladrin.

We're all trying to talk her out of it, but she's persisting. Any ideas that aren't completely silly?

Quickleaf

Legend
Kill the bloody pixie :devil:

Now that's out of my system, what about a witness protection program operated by the RHC? The pixie (*shudder*) might have vital intel and thus end up working alongside the PCs.

DonTadow

First Post
One of my players is enamored with small characters. After her halfling vampire died for the second time, she wants to make a Pixie Swordmage.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how a Pixie would fit into the Zeitgeist setting in such a way that she would end up working in or with the RHC. Risur seems to have a pretty contentious relationship with the Fey in general, and a tiny winged person seems like she'd be far more persecuted/hunted than an Eladrin.

We're all trying to talk her out of it, but she's persisting. Any ideas that aren't completely silly?
Get some control over your game. Halfing vampires? Pixies? And you don't like them.

This is usually my rule for a game. I like players to play things they enjoy within reason. I have a list of allowed races. If they want to do something that is not on the list, then they need to write a lengthy background explaining such a thing and it has to make sense in the game world. IF it doesnt then she has to choose one of the allowed races.

Colmarr

First Post
I actually don't see any in-game problem with a Pixie PC.

While King Aodhan may be progressive, there are clearly traditionalists in both the aristocracy (eg. Duchess Ethelyn) and the military (eg. the naval commanders who begrudge Geoff Massarde his steamship). Add to that the discontent that much of the populace has with the industrialists and technological progress and it's not difficult to imagine that a pixie might be welcomed into the RHC.

When one of my players originally wanted to play a Minotaur, I immediately thought of making the PC a Ber liaison officer (like Ziva David from NCIS), and the same logic could easily apply to an Unseen Court liaison. If the RHC is tasked with investigated the "weird stuff", then a fey constable could come in very handy.

Or you could even go a step further and have the pixie's position be one of the things the Unseen Court demanded in their last tithe...

Colmarr hits the nail on the head, particularly that last bit.

I'm running my own campaign with these adventures, and one PC is a pixie. (Note, in 4e pixies are not as ridiculous as they are in 3e/PF.)

Here's what the player sent as part of his backstory:

Mugwort is creepy little needle-fanged pixie with lime green eyes, grey skin, white hair, and tattered luna moth wings. He wears clothes made from cobwebs and bat wings. He lives in the rafters of the station house and eats insects and rodents that infest the building.

Mugwort owes his presence in the RHC to a provision of Fey Pact 495c, which states,

For the span of one hundred years of Risur,
For one drop of wine for each child’s first cry,
We grant five fey knights worth their weight in silver.*

*Translated from Primordial

As with every negotiation with the Unseen Court, the humans didn’t get everything they expected when a group of pixies showed up to fulfill the fey side of the bargain. The pixies aren’t regarded to be worth very much, but correspondingly don’t weigh that much either. Risuri officials don’t regard the price as too onerous (it works out to something like 30 bottles of wine a year). They also don’t want to risk other parts of the same pact that have to do with Fey agreeing not to make false navigation beacons nor do they want to incite retribution against the children mentioned in the pact, so they pony up the wine on the first full moon of the year.

Mugwort is a thane of Cu’kularch, a formorian lord of the Dreaming. Five years ago, Mugwort was summoned and then shuffled off to the mortal realms in order to satisfy a complex series of obligations to the Unseen Court. He didn’t know the other pixies in the bargain beforehand, but they are from a Seelie tribe ostensibly at war with his own back in the Dreaming (they are too isolated to actually fight). He hates their gaily-colored asses with every fiber of his being, but his oath prevents him from being openly hostile to them while they remain in service with him. [If it pleases the DM, their names are Thistledown, Yewberry, Cowslip, and Wisteria. They aren’t necessarily serving in Flint or even in the RHC but are somewhere in service to Risur.]

Mugwort’s term of service is another 95 years which is not be terribly long for a pixie, but he does find humans and the process of Law terribly dull and longs to return to his swampy homeland. His tribe is small (only 12 pixies), but Mugwort is their titular leader even though the tribe listens to Crone Sphagnum over him most of the time.

Mugwort is bound to follow the orders he receives in conduct of his duty for the RHC. He generally does his duty well, but tends to inflict more pain and suffering than is strictly necessary. Mugwort sometimes frustrates his superiors when he misconstrues orders, but they have generally learned to word things carefully to avoid unfortunate “misunderstandings”.

Y'know, now that I reread that, I think his pixie hexblade might be violating the terms by being too useful.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
One of my players ran a pixie as a cameo character, only we called him a 'spryte' and made him much more creepy than the butterfly-winged pixies of 4E.

I think pixie is a perfect fit for a Zeitgeist campaign.

Even if the Unseen Court is mildly antagonistic to the industrial ambitions of Risur, that doesn't mean that every fey creature is too.

Eladrin aren't 'hunted' are they?

Siberys

Adventurer
That's a touch more extreme than I read; For one thing, by my reading Risur doesn't really have the "trophy wife" deal that the other nations do, considering their closer ties to fey powers. I always considered that to primarily be a Danoran thing.

As to the Terrorists bit; that's not tied to Eladrin females (In fact, I'd think most of the Vekeshi would /probably/ prefer most Eladrin women to stay out of the Mystics, considering how rare they are), and the Vekeshi have always been presented as a small group of radicals anyways. Risuri law enforcement wouldn't immediately jump down an Eladrin's throat, let alone start harassing the fey just 'cause they're fey. They might be a bit wary around 'em, sure, and you might be able to drop some "racial profiling" RP in as a result of that, but "hunted" is certainly pushing it, IMO.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
I have to say it mildly amuses me to see people reacting so badly to the inclusion of a pixie.

Is the idea too childish, too girly, too 'silly'? What?

Siberys

Adventurer
I could roll with it. A Pixie Air Elementalist flavored as a sylph sounds pretty sweet, and has been bouncing around in my head for a while.

Remove ads