A question on the Raise Dead ritual

TheLordWinter

First Post
So the Raise Dead ritual specifically mentions you need "...a part of the corpse of a creature..." does this mean that upon completion of the ritual the target is wholly restored or that you've simply brought back to life what you have?

An example: As you're fleeing a dungeon an ally stumbles into a pit where the walls are closing. You catch his hand before he completely falls in but aren't strong enough to pull him out. Soon you're only left holding your ally's hand - will the Raise Dead ritual fully restore his body or are you just going to restore life to a hand, which will then summarily re-die?

Dunamin

First Post
It seems pretty clear to me that the intent is to restore the subject to life in one piece. Why would you have the ritual designed to screw player's over?

Mort_Q

First Post
Dunamin said:
Why would you have the ritual designed to screw player's over?

I guess some people just have mean DMs... like the people that think the powers that grant a free save should kill you faster...

Nim

First Post
TheLordWinter said:
An example: As you're fleeing a dungeon an ally stumbles into a pit where the walls are closing. You catch his hand before he completely falls in but aren't strong enough to pull him out. Soon you're only left holding your ally's hand - will the Raise Dead ritual fully restore his body or are you just going to restore life to a hand, which will then summarily re-die?

Depending on the timing, this one could also leave you asking whether it counts if the body part was removed the body before death :)

TheLordWinter said:
So the Raise Dead ritual specifically mentions you need "...a part of the corpse of a creature..." does this mean that upon completion of the ritual the target is wholly restored or that you've simply brought back to life what you have?

Perhaps you get "noth’g but ye liveliest Awfulness." ;)

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Hmmm, and what happens to the rest of the body? Does it vanish and reconstitute itself as the newly raised body, or does it remain where it was and a whole new body is formed from the piece used?

If it remainder of the body still exists and the raised person dies again within 30 days of his first death, can that older body be used to raise him again, or does the body part have to be from the freshly killed body?

Just thinking crazy now - party member is concerned about being completely anhilated, and therefore not able to be raised, so they cut off a bit of finger to have in safekeeping. Maybe a regeneration ritual could be used to regrow it afterwards.

I could see a new business venture in this:

Come to Ye Olde Body Banke. Deposit a portion of your body to be kept safe for use in the event of your untimely death, whereupon you can be raised. You just need to make a new deposit once every thirty days to keep your account active. With the Platinum Package you get free Regeneration of the body part with each deposit. We are convenitenly located within most Point of Light locations. Ask about our easy payment plans.

JohnSnow

Hero
Thornir Alekeg said:
Just thinking crazy now - party member is concerned about being completely anhilated, and therefore not able to be raised, so they cut off a bit of finger to have in safekeeping. Maybe a regeneration ritual could be used to regrow it afterwards.

I could see a new business venture in this:

Come to Ye Olde Body Banke. Deposit a portion of your body to be kept safe for use in the event of your untimely death, whereupon you can be raised. You just need to make a new deposit once every thirty days to keep your account active. With the Platinum Package you get free Regeneration of the body part with each deposit. We are convenitenly located within most Point of Light locations. Ask about our easy payment plans.

I think all these questions are proof-positive that the body part should have to be attached to the body when it becomes a corpse.

Here's the theory: when the body dies, the soul maintains an attachment to any part of the body. Any other remaining pieces should disintegrate when the person is resurrected.

Or perhaps they become grisly curiosities. How do you think it would feel to find your own severed head?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
catsclaw227 said:
Also, if the rest of the body is still in the pit and someone else comes a long and casts a Raise Dead ritual, what happens then?
I would have to say nothing should happen, the person is alive. If I were to somehow be DMing an odd situation where this made sense, I would add some flavor where the person feels an odd sensation, like someone was trying to pull them out of their own skin, and for a moment they see a ghostly image of the place where they had once died and the face of the person casting the ritual over their former body.

Korgoth

First Post
What counts as a part of the body?

Scenario: Rudgar the Fighter gets eaten by a Behemoth. And I mean eaten like a Jurassic Park n00b. The party wants to raise him. So they wait for the Behemoth to poop. Then they sift through and find an undigestible bit, like a tooth or maybe a piece of gristle.

Can they raise him?

Remove ads