[Adventure]: Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: Sorry Ben. This is not going the way I imagined it either. I guess it's more fear of the unknown that is paralyzing the group.

Mervin, here, has some choices to make as do the others on the near side of the pit.

Here's the summarry of the situation:

1. Gensai discovered a control panel with some buttons. When the trap stopped, one button sank.
[sblock=Before the trap stopped: ]
OpenPanel.png
[/sblock][sblock=After the trap stopped: ]
OpenPanelAfter2Seconds.png
[/sblock]2. The levers, evidently, don't do anything
3. The footprints on the bottom of the pit end 5 feet before the end of the pit. It seems as though the kobold either jumped or climbed out from where he was rather than traverse the last five feet.

Choices:
1. Mervin can simply walk the last 5 feet and see what happens
2. Mervin can attempt to jump the last 5 feet and grab a rope lowered by Riardon. Failure would mean that Mervin lands somewhere in the last 5 feet of the pit taking no fall damage, but possibly triggering the trap
3. Mervin can move back and throw something heavy onto the last 5 feet to see if he can trigger the trap.
4. Gensai can play with the buttons to see what happens (though with Mervin in the pit, this might get messy).
5. I'm sure that there are other imaginative ways to get through, or around, this trap. If you think of something (anything), I'll try to assign reasonable DCs to it.

There are no courses of action without risk. I think this is why we've stalled here.

*edit* Also: anyone can do the above actions. I'm only using Mervin as an example because he happens to be in the pit at the moment.

I assure you that this hazard is pretty deterministic. If it triggers, it triggers because certain, pre-determined actions have taken place, not because I decided to spring them on you... honest :angel:.

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
GM:
Here's the summarry of the situation:

1. Gensai discovered a control panel with some buttons. When the trap stopped, one button sank.
OpenPanel.png
[/sblock]
OOC: Okay, now seeing those side by side I can see the difference. I was beginning to wonder if you'd just posted the same pic twice :)
GM: I assure you that this hazard is pretty deterministic. If it triggers, it triggers because certain, pre-determined actions have taken place, not because I decided to spring them on you... honest :angel:.
OOC: I don't think anyone is thinking you'll spring the trap on us capriciously, but it's the deterministic nature combined with a lack of info that's paralyzing us. While it's one specific thing you've got in mind that will spring the trap, we don't have enough information to know what it isn't, and therefore, it could be anything. Hence the caution about every single possible action.

Assuming we wish to go across, we've somehow got to get everyone over.

It's possible that there's a clue in the last five feet of the pit, but I don't suggest throwing things down there while one of us is in the pit.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: Okay, now seeing those side by side I can see the difference. I was beginning to wonder if you'd just posted the same pic twice :).
OOC: Yeah. Now that I look at it too, they look too similar. Sorry about that.

OOC: ...it's the deterministic nature combined with a lack of info that's paralyzing us. While it's one specific thing you've got in mind that will spring the trap, we don't have enough information to know what it isn't, and therefore, it could be anything. Hence the caution about every single possible action.
OOC: Yeah. This is the first time I've GM'd a hazard this complex in PbP. It works a little differently than TT because you have to keep going back through the thread to check the clues. I think from now on, I'll keep a "Hazard Stats" spoiler at the bottom of all my updates that looks like the one below:
[sblock=Spiked Pit]
[sblock=Clues]
  • Footprints on the floor of the pit end 5 feet prior to the end of the pit
  • Spikes retract into the floor
  • Control panel
    OpenPanel.png
    [/sblock]
  • Failing the skill challenge means that you're having to "feel" your way through this hazard without critical information.
[/sblock][sblock=Possible actions include, but are not limited to: ]
  1. Walk the last 5 feet and see what happens
  2. A ttempt to jump the last 5 feet and grab a rope lowered by Riardon. Failure would mean landing somewhere in the last 5 feet of the pit taking no fall damage, but possibly triggering a trap
  3. Move back and throw something heavy onto the last 5 feet to possibly trigger a trap.
  4. Play with the control panel to see what happens
  5. If you think of something (anything), I'll try to assign reasonable DCs to it.
[/sblock][sblock=Map]
WalrynsLayerRound9.png
[/sblock]
[/sblock]This will function much the same way as a "Ministats" block, but instead of tracking player stats, it tracks progress through the hazard.

BenBrown

First Post
OOC: Hmm. Okay, how's this sound. Fenwick climbs down into the pit, and between him, Riardon, and a rope, we can get Mervin across the last square. We can even try it so Mervin doesn't have to do anything but hold on, and we move the rope. Then Fenwick can try leaping or climbing up the last bit. Sound good?

evilbob

Explorer
OOC: Sorry guys, part of the reason I've been slow to post is I've been sick for a few days.

Mervin is fine with the plan that involves him not touching the last 5'. :) Do I need to roll anything?

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: Mervin doesn't need to roll anything, but BB needs to spell out exactly how he's going to use the rope. A brief engineering-type description of the rig would be all I need. If a DC is in order, I'll give it following the description.

Example:

• Fenwick tosses the rope to Riardon who ties it around his waist and stands at AD11.
  • Fenwick reaches in his pack and pulls out a four-idler pulley.
  • Fenwick threads the pulley and, with a mighty heave, throws it into the ceiling at AD 10
  • Fenwick ties the rope around Mervin's waist
  • Riardon hoists the wizard 10 feet in the air by walking to AA11
  • Mervin pumps his feet and swings like a pendulum.
  • As Mervin swings over the ledge, Riardon walks to AB11, letting just enough slack out of the rope for Mervin to land at AD11
  • When he is finished, Mervin unties the rope and passes the loose end back down to Fenwick who carefully avoids the last 5' of the pit as he receives the rope.
OK. So it's a little cheesy, but you get the point B-).

BenBrown

First Post
Fenwick gets out another length of rope, gets Gensai and Rujah to anchor it for him, and gingerly rappels over the side. Upon reaching the bottom, he gathers up the rope of which Riardon is holding the other end, then carefully makes his way over to Mervin, stepping in the same footprints as the wizard did. Wrapping the rope around his waist once, to make it taut, he motions for Mervin to grab on with both hands and feet, and hang on for dear life. Then, he and Riardon slowly, inch by inch, move Mervin across the empty space, up to the point where Mervin can grab the edge and Riardon can pull him up.

This being done, Fenwick stands there in the pit. "If Rujah and Gensai want to try identical trick, Fenwick remain stationary." he calls.

[sblock=rolls]Dropping into pit. (1d20+10=26)
Getting Mervin across the last bit of pit. (1d20+10=20)[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
The method seems to work, Mervin makes it to the far platform to join Riaron. Rujah and Gensai look on, awaiting their turn.

GM: Congratulations! The DC for inching along will be set at 15. I think that's pretty fair considering that Fenwick and Riardon need to coordinate their movements to keep the rope taut without Feinwick sliding on the pit floor.

Keep in mind that whoever is last needs to specify how they get out of the pit.

[sblock=Map]
WalrynsLayerRound10.png
[/sblock]

Remove ads