D&D 5E Adventures in Middle-Earth

Has anyone played it? Has anyone used the Mirkwood Campaign? What did you think of it? Good? Bad? Playable? Unplayable? House rules? Mods? Opinions?

I am actually thinking of doing some 5e D&D as other games have withered on the vine and I am really not a fan of vanilla D&D but I think (after rewatching LotR and watching RoP [I like it!] think D&D AiME might do it justice) I might enjoy it?!?

Just looking for opinions or advice on running an AiME game. Thank you for any replies!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If you can wrangle the group into it, The One Ring (either edition) is a very fun game that IMO does a few things a little better, but if not AIME is also very very good.

The classes and cultures are excellent for the setting, and tbh it is what I’d use for nearly any low magic 5e game. Journeys are vastly better than 5e travel rules. I don’t recall how well social challenges stand up to TOR, but overall it’s very good.

If you can wrangle the group into it, The One Ring (either edition) is a very fun game that IMO does a few things a little better, but if not AIME is also very very good.

The classes and cultures are excellent for the setting, and tbh it is what I’d use for nearly any low magic 5e game. Journeys are vastly better than 5e travel rules. I don’t recall how well social challenges stand up to TOR, but overall it’s very good.
I would prefer TOR to AiME, but right now local groups are D&D 5e only, and not willing to try new systems. ☹️

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Free League is about to publish its own 5e One Ring conversion, depending if your in a hurry.
I own every AiME books and they are my favorite 5e books. The low level adventuring in it is pretty great, and you dont have to play in Middle-Earth, any other lowish magic world will do. I added carefully curated spellcasting to the scholar class, myself.

TOR is a great system. TOR2 less so, but still worth trying.
Curious why you say that. I have both (and admittedly haven't played TOR2) but really couldn't see what I considered significant differences. I though the occasional TOR2 streamlining looked pretty promising.

For OP, either system is great -- heck I'd pick up the TOR starter box just for the Shire material and mini campaign if you think your players would be into that.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Curious why you say that. I have both (and admittedly haven't played TOR2) but really couldn't see what I considered significant differences. I though the occasional TOR2 streamlining looked pretty promising.

For OP, either system is great -- heck I'd pick up the TOR starter box just for the Shire material and mini campaign if you think your players would be into that.

Oh, this thread isn’t the place to re-hash criticisms of 2nd edition. It does have some improvements (e.g. Journeys) but I dislike some of the other changes. There are new fans who love it, though, so YMMV.

Remove ads