D&D 5E Alacrity, a new Ability Score

MechaPilot

Explorer
With initiative variants cropping up lately, it got me thinking about initiative, the relative value of the Dex score, and previous edition speed modifiers. Lately I've begun to wonder what people would think of introducing an ability score determining a character's speed and ability to snap to action that was separate from Dex.

With that in mind, I introduce you to the Alacrity ability score.

Alacrity is an optional ability score like Honor or Sanity. When you use Alacrity, your Dexterity modifier isn't applied to your initiative modifier; instead, apply your Alacrity modifier.

Alacrity also helps determine how fast your character is. Every +1 (or -1) of your Alacrity modifier increases (or decreases) your speed by 2.5 feet. You may choose to apply these speed increases in increments of 5 feet and ignore the effects of a mere +2.5 foot increase.

Alacrity ability checks are used when fleeing an enemy, when chasing after someone, or when trying to get somewhere (or to something) before someone else does.

Any thoughts, concerns, or constructive criticisms would be appreciated.

Horwath

Legend
IMHO, D&D could be with less abilities not more.

The more abilities you have, the more their power is diluted and it is cheaper to dump them into single digits without any real penalty or only mild ones.

MechaPilot

Explorer
IMHO, D&D could be with less abilities not more.

The more abilities you have, the more their power is diluted and it is cheaper to dump them into single digits without any real penalty or only mild ones.

I agree, and I've been considering merging Strength and Constitution.

However, I do feel like Dex has too much (initiative modifier, attack modifier for ranged or finesse, AC modifier, & one of the most important damage reducing saves in 5e) in relation to the other scores, and a score that takes away from just the Dex stat seems more like it's creating stat parity than it is diluting useful stats into dump stats.

Respectful vote for no.
Among other things, 5e was a big step away from the crunch heavy rules of 3.X.
This seems to add more crunch without adding extra fun, and a little extra book keeping.
It might be fun for the simulationist players, though!

Satyrn

First Post
Neat.

Although the speed modifier seems almost extreme. It looks like it might create a feel of - I don't know how to word this - I just keep thinking wuxia/anime. But I also think that making the modifier smaller would make it too insignificant to bother with, and it's cool.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The easiest thing to do is to just do away with initiative modifiers entirely. Arguments could be made for many ability scores to affect initiative. Best just to not have any.

ccs

41st lv DM
How does this fit Point Buy? What do you add to the standard array?
How does being a dwarf/halfling/monk/etc affect this?

MechaPilot

Explorer
How does this fit Point Buy? What do you add to the standard array?
How does being a dwarf/halfling/monk/etc affect this?

Point buy and the standard array would be affected the same as if you were adding Honor or Sanity from the DMG, which is why I chose not to elaborate on that point. I can't recall the DMG's exact wording off the top of my head, but for array I think it says to add an extra 11 to the array, and I think it says to add an certain number of extra points to point buy (but I can't recall how many off the top of my head).

The speed modifier from Alacrity would be applied along with any other speed modifiers. Alacrity allows individual members of a race or class to be naturally faster or slower than others. The negative speed modifier for a low Alacrity also help disincentivise dumping it.

Satyrn

First Post
The negative speed modifier for a low Alacrity also help disincentivise dumping it.
oh, this raises one small flag.

You mention above that the 2.5 ft increase can be ignored (which makes sense) but I think you ought to clarify that a 2.5 ft decrease must be counted, otherwise there's not going to ever be a PC penalized unless their Alacrity is less than 8.

MechaPilot

Explorer
oh, this raises one small flag.

You mention above that the 2.5 ft increase can be ignored (which makes sense) but I think you ought to clarify that a 2.5 ft decrease must be counted, otherwise there's not going to ever be a PC penalized unless their Alacrity is less than 8.

They won't be penalized with the speed penalty; that is very true. However, they would still have a -1 to their Initiative modifier (which could frankly be very deadly at first level). The speed modifier disincentive for dumping is really only meant to apply to people who really abuse dumping stats.

Also, since the standard array includes one 8, I don't want to come down too heavily on any single 8 score.

Remove ads