Level Up (A5E) Another New Lineage (Updated!)

Faolyn

(she/her)
Very well done! Regarding Hidden Citizen, I kind of wonder if Insular Upbringing should be related to a stealth bonus (remaining hidden from the world) or perhaps a different skill offering... since there's a lot of other races that seem to get the advantage vs. Charm/Frightened.
Probably. I was having a hard time with it. On the one hand, being stealthy is logical. On the other hand, it's probably that you look different enough that you're going to stand out. Maybe replace that with the following:

Insular Upbringing. The people from the outside world are very different from you. Partly as a way to avoid their sometimes overwhelming interest in your differences, and party because they have difficulty in understanding your expressions (both vocal and facial), you have learned to hide from them. You get an expertise die in both Deception and Stealth.

BTW, Morrus, if you're still looking at this: am I correct in assuming you can use an expertise die even if you aren't proficient in the skill?

TheHand

Adventurer
@Faolyn , I'd love to see your take on a 'tauric' race if you're game! You could use the heritage gifts to represent different quadrupeds with the serial numbers filed off (centaur, wemic, bariaur*, maybe even spelljammer's dracon).
(* Planescape represent!)

Faolyn

(she/her)
@Faolyn , I'd love to see your take on a 'tauric' race if you're game! You could use the heritage gifts to represent different quadrupeds with the serial numbers filed off (centaur, wemic, bariaur*, maybe even spelljammer's dracon).
(* Planescape represent!)
Since I definitely love bauriars (and unrelated, when I was little I used to draw wolf-taurs a lot), I wouldn't mind giving it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hmm. Maybe I'll just buck 5e completely and at least give the option for them to be Large.

TheHand

Adventurer
Since I definitely love bauriars (and unrelated, when I was little I used to draw wolf-taurs a lot), I wouldn't mind giving it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hmm. Maybe I'll just buck 5e completely and at least give the option for them to be Large.
Let them live Large! :LOL:

Faolyn

(she/her)
Getcher red hot centaurs!

I can't quite tell if this one is balanced or not. It feels off. Let me know if it needs anything!

Therocephalian and Centaurs (with Cultures )_pages-to-jpg-0003.jpg

Therocephalian and Centaurs (with Cultures )_pages-to-jpg-0004.jpg

TheHand

Adventurer
I really like this write-up, I would definitely use it in my games! I have only a few thoughts to consider:

With Quadruped: Hooves, I might add +5 movement also, just to give it a little buff. In most of the games I've played, terrain/caltrop-damage is fairly rare, at least comparatively to being knocked-prone (paws) or climbing situations (tarsi). Also it seems like centaurs should have an option somewhere to gallop a little faster.

With Unending Strength, since Relentless Endurance is already an orc gift, what about something like:

Tireless Workhorse (OK, cheesy name...): If you fail a Strength ability check or saving throw, you may reroll it with Advantage but must accept the new result. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

I also wonder, with Carouser, if that theme might work better in a Culture. I could see Centaur cultures as:
  • An urban, party-friendly culture (our carouser)
  • A nomadic plains-runner culture
  • A hidden enclave culture (which can be themed to fit either jungle cats or hive-ants)

What do you think?

Faolyn

(she/her)
I really like this write-up, I would definitely use it in my games! I have only a few thoughts to consider:

With Quadruped: Hooves, I might add +5 movement also, just to give it a little buff. In most of the games I've played, terrain/caltrop-damage is fairly rare, at least comparatively to being knocked-prone (paws) or climbing situations (tarsi). Also it seems like centaurs should have an option somewhere to gallop a little faster.
Sure, I can see that. My table happens to like spike growth so that sort of damage is pretty common where I am, but I can see combining them.

With Unending Strength, since Relentless Endurance is already an orc gift, what about something like:

Tireless Workhorse (OK, cheesy name...): If you fail a Strength ability check or saving throw, you may reroll it with Advantage but must accept the new result. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.
Heh. I like. Nothing wrong with the occasional cheese. :D

I also wonder, with Carouser, if that theme might work better in a Culture.
What do you think?
I suppose it depends on how a party culture is done. I'm... very much not a partier by nature, so my two different thoughts on that would be, (1) is there enough of a party culture of the sort you can be born into and live your whole life; and (2) Maenads? Some sort of (potentially) fey-based culture? I could definitely see that. There's a whole world of potential cultures for the Fey Realms and the other planes of existence.

I'm going to keep the Carouser as a gift, although I'm rephrasing it a bit, but I'm also going to try a "Wild One" culture.

Carouser
Centaurs, particularly those of fey origins, have a reputation as party-goers; in some cases, it’s true. Your ancestors were blessed to be in the retinue of gods of joy, dance, and alcohol, and you have inherited some of that blessing.

Crowd-Pleasers. When in a tavern or other festive environment, you gain an expertise die in Performance and Persuasion.
Iron Liver. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
Life Of The Party. You have a natural affinity for alcohol. You are proficient in Brewer’s Supplies.
Playing For The Crowd. You gain an expertise die in a musical instrument or gaming set of your choice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases