Another take on the Ranger class...would love some (a lot) input/opinions/etc

ScuroNotte

Explorer
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WNkWZdAidKuuj272TlnhqM-fw305j-bM/view?usp=sharing

Updated file with some revisions

Removed Favored Enemy and Favored Terrain component.

Ranger starts with 3 known languages. As scouts, you either travel the lands or you, as in the old US west, were scouts for the forts in the west. In the forts, you were needed to help the US Commanders communicate to the locals (various American Indian tribes).

Cover of Darkness was a feature created within a few months of 5e. Regarding Drows, It does not make them more powerful. In the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, you could play a Half Drow that retains its Drow magic abilities but not the daylight sensitivity.

They eventually learn Thieves' Tools. The reason is as per Xanathar's Guide, to disable traps such as Bear Traps and Trip Wires (trap types you would find set up in natural environments), you need Thieves' Tools.

Hunter Conclave, combined the abilities in the Multiattack feature
We know that some want to keep the purity of spell casting, which is still available, but its not our vision.

Would love some (a lot) input/opinions/etc

Last edited:

1.) Natural explorer seems a tad front loaded, I mean sure most of it isn't hyper potent Combat buffs, but it still seems like an awful lot at 1st level, especially the extra movement speeds.

2.) I got lost once or twice on what the core features and the path features were, and I still don't think I understand what the hunter-herbalist sidebar was about. Is it like a warlock where you essentially have multiple sub-classes? Are evasion and ambush master Herbalist abilities?

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Natural Explorer
I agree, it just seemed off to me
What if I delete You always know the number of hours left before the next sunrise or sunset.

And move "You can follow tracks while moving at a fast pace without penalty." this bullet to Improved Scout at level 6

The Hunter Herbalist side bar tells you the difference in features between the spell caster and herbalist (non-spell caster). I originally had separate Hunters for each type, but many said that was confusing and excessive

Yes, Evasion and Ambush Master are only for the Herbalist. It is to give abilities due to losing spells. Its the same for all classes that can't cast spells, all their class levels have a feature.

I make a n updated version

collin

Explorer
I think it is a fine variant, but I do not see it as better than or a total replacement for the current WotC 5e ranger.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I think it is a fine variant, but I do not see it as better than or a total replacement for the current WotC 5e ranger.

I'll guess we will disagree. We all have different views of how the Ranger class is written by WoTC.

The features in the PHB are based on Favored Terrain and Enemy. Here offering features that will be useful against any creature and all terrains.

Yeah that's always been my primary gripe with the Ranger, what they should have done is make favored enemy and favored terrain grant abilities inspired by, or relevant to those things, but not exclusive, so like maybe advantage on saves vs. illusions is useful against fey creatures, but not something that only functions if one is in the room.

As for Natural explorer, better but again it's less any one thing and the sheer number of features, on top of the usual front loading most martial classes have.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I thought it was better
The Ranger actually gets the same number of features as the paladin though
And the number of abilities in Natural Explorer are equal. Three of them from the original version. One is a weaker version in which I changed never get lost to know which is north

I'll look at it again
What about the other features?

Grognerd

Explorer
I'll check it more later, but I found it interesting. I've been looking at different ways to do a spell-less Ranger as recently as last night, so I'm very excited to see what you do with the herbalist abilities.

My solution was to remove the Ranger class, then use the Rogue Scout subclass abilities as a "Ranger" fighter sub-class. Yours has more distinction!

I think the big issue with natural explorer is getting the good climb and swim speeds right out of the gate, it's not a huge deal but between the usual class front loading and all the other abilities wrap dup in natural explorer it's probably making it feel weightier than it really is.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I think the big issue with natural explorer is getting the good climb and swim speeds right out of the gate, it's not a huge deal but between the usual class front loading and all the other abilities wrap dup in natural explorer it's probably making it feel weightier than it really is.

Would moving swim and climb elsewhere resolve the issue? If do, where would you suggest I place it where it won't seem to be loaded as I do want the feature to be within the class

Do you think it is over loaded elsewhere? A couple of the other features early on are not OP and used in specific situations ie Cover of Darkness and Animal Empathy

And thank you for your input.

Last edited:

Remove ads