Pathfinder 1E Anyone else underwhelmed by the RPGSS entries?

Systole

First Post
Paizo posted the Top 32 items from their RPG Superstar contest. Having looked through about 3/4 of them, I have to say I was more than a little disappointed. I think there were about three that I liked out of the 20 or 25 I read. The rest of them seemed situational, way too complicated, or had a ridiculous mountain of powers. And I found myself thinking: maybe 1000 entries submitted, and these were the 32 that the judges picked? Ugh.

The type of items I tend to like are interesting, relatively uncomplicated, and useful. Their powers have a tight focus with a strong theme. Handy Haversack. Amulet of Mighty Fists. Belt of Thunderous Charging. Traveler's Anytool. Rope of Climbing. But I saw precious few of these kinds of items being chosen. I feel like what the designers think I want is not anywhere close to what I actually do want.

Am I all alone here?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
No, I had the same thoughts. I don't mind a bit more complicated when a player designs their item to do something special, but a competition like this should be so it can be used in every campaign without much thinking and not just in the odd one out adventure.

Systole

First Post
It bugged me that two of the top 32 were items that I'd actually voted down. Out of the 32, there were maybe 3 that I thought were not bad, two that I could see a player using (Rat Boots and Healer Gloves), but the only item I thought was actually amazing was the Spectral Lampblack. Whoa, that one is good. Yeah, it's situational, but in that particular situation, it is perfect. It would totally go into my all-purpose toolkit.

I voted down a few of those so yeah not my cup of tea either. Maybe I am just looking at it in the wrong way. And wasn't there like 3k entries? Or was I imagining that!

SteelDraco

First Post
Some of them seemed interesting, but I did think that there was a lot of flashy stuff there too. RPGSS is always a mixed bag, and lots of things that do well are more exciting than utilitarian. That's part of the contest - since it's a public vote, things that generate that "Oooh! Cool!" do well.

mach1, I think you're imagining that. From the analysis threads I saw from people who were voting a lot and keeping track of every item they saw and applying statistical analysis, there were apparently about 850 to 900 items in the initial voting block. The bottom 25% were culled a little while in.

Systole

First Post
Some of them seemed interesting, but I did think that there was a lot of flashy stuff there too. RPGSS is always a mixed bag, and lots of things that do well are more exciting than utilitarian. That's part of the contest - since it's a public vote, things that generate that "Oooh! Cool!" do well.

I suppose you're right, although I don't like it. I do tend to the utilitarian end of the scale. I mean, if my druid found a Verdant Crown of Oak and Iron, he would stop at the next town and trade it in for a Headband of Inspired Wisdom +6. Without a second thought. And hey, he'd probably have money left over for a pocketful of feather tree tokens. Whoopie!

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Unfortunately, mine was destined to not making the top 32 - mine was the Robe of the Grave and was a spell in a can (fleshworm infestation). I thought the Rat Tread Boots were kind of cool. Many of the top 32 I voted down - I was a marathon voter (500+).

Systole

First Post
Better than mine, I bet. Given how flashy the winners were, I'd be willing to bet mine was culled. Quiver of Wondrous Augmentation: added 1d6 of fire, cold, acid, or electricity to your projectiles, determined randomly each round.

Remove ads