AU meets FR

The Madhatter

First Post
My DM has expressed an interest in using Arcana Unearthed's spell system and character classes in the latest iteration of our long standing 3.0 FR campaign. We were already planning to switch to 3.5 and incorporate some alternative PC races, so some change was expected. He's sent us some emails describing the PC classes, and they seem to be 20 level prestige classes to me. We will still be in the FR so I assume he would have to do some heavy conversion. Is anyone out there familiar with AU stuff that can offer some advice? I don't own the books and it's up to a group vote. He's a very skilled and dedicated DM so I'm certainly not going to poopoo his idea without careful consideration. Thank you for your time.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Well, Arcana Unearthed, in general, gives you more freedom at a slightly lower power level. It's pretty close to the same power level as regular D&D, as you would expect from Monte Cook.

Spells: There's one list, only. There are simple spells, that all spellcasters have access to. There are complex spells, that some classes have access to. There are also exotic spells, which only a few casters have access to. You can learn spell templates, like fire -- so you could add fire to any spell you cast. (I'm not 100% sure how that part works; I'm still reading my copy, and I haven't made it there yet. :) ) Also, most spells can be cast in a one-level lower version, and a one-level higher version, with weaker or more powerful effects. All in all, you get a lot more flexibility, but not quite as much power. It evens out in the end, from what everyone who has played has said.

As for the classes -- I would stack them up against the Core base classes. Many of them have *more* powers, but they're not superpowers. You'd be able to do different things than under the standard rules, but not more powerful things.

I've been going through the book rather slowly, since I'm studying it as I go, but it is reasonably powered and very different than your standard game. I'd say give it a try. It looks like fun to me. :)

Thanatos

Banned
Banned
I am playing a Magister in a FR campaign, its a fairly high powered campaign also.

I have found that the Magister's power level in comparison to a regular mage to be somewhat lacking. Now a huge power drop, but enough to have a noticable effect.

I think the best thing to do is either make all casters use the AU list or give the AU mage a way to utilize some of the phb spells. When the enemy casters have phb spells and you are left with AU one that aren't at the same powerlevel, it starts to create a very noticable level of power difference as you progress higher up.

We ended up creating some feats so I could get some (not all) of the regular phb spells and everything seems much more even now. The Magister spells definitely have some utility and flavor that phb spells don't have, but often lack some of the umph.

Anyway, thats just been my experience.

Thanatos

Banned
Banned
Well, we have an unfettered that is going Shadow Dancer and that seems to be working very well.

We have a warmain going saint...but as a warmain, overshadowed the half-orc fighter.

as a Magister, I haven't found a class I like enough to multi- out of it...

So far, it hasn't been any issue...I'd say they prep well, perhaps 80%...DM may have to make a call or two depending on your mix and concepts.

Mystic-Theurge would be an issue since Monte doesn't use arcane/divine magic for AU...the single spell list has healing spells mixed in with everything else. Other then that, nothing really stands out off the top of my head.

The Madhatter

First Post
Thanatos said:
Mystic-Theurge would be an issue since Monte doesn't use arcane/divine magic for AU...the single spell list has healing spells mixed in with everything else. Other then that, nothing really stands out off the top of my head.

Mystic Theurge isn't our bag anyway. Are Warmains spellcaster/fighters or are they just plain fighters. I have an idea what the unfettered is.

scholz

First Post
The Madhatter said:
Mystic Theurge isn't our bag anyway. Are Warmains spellcaster/fighters or are they just plain fighters. I have an idea what the unfettered is.

Warmain are Tanks.. big fighters, with big armor.

Storminator

First Post
The Madhatter said:
The unfettered is a dexy fighter. Think swashbuckler.

PS

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases