D&D 5E Avoiding Explosions in a Tiny Hut

An interesting use of Leomund's Tiny Hut popped up last game session and wanted your thoughts.

There was a chest that had explosive runes on it that would blast anybody messing with it. The party decided that they would cast Tiny Hut very close to the chest. Then the party would mess with the chest, causing it to explode, but the party would be safe from the explosion.

In the moment, I ruled that it was possible to do, but the hand that reached for the chest would still be susceptible to the full explosion damage (and be possible blown off).

In hindsight, seems like there's a lot of potential PC abuse with this. I can foresee them using the same tactic for other dangerous traps and simply using a 10 foot pole to trigger the traps, thus leaving them completely immune to the effects.

Is there something in the spell rules that I'm missing that would not allow this sort of thing? And other thoughts?

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
In the moment, I ruled that it was possible to do, but the hand that reached for the chest would still be susceptible to the full explosion damage (and be possible blown off).

In hindsight, seems like there's a lot of potential PC abuse with this. I can foresee them using the same tactic for other dangerous traps and simply using a 10 foot pole to trigger the traps, thus leaving them completely immune to the effects.

Is there something in the spell rules that I'm missing that would not allow this sort of thing? And other thoughts?
Not that I can immediately think of, though I don't have the spell description to-hand. LTH does take a full minute (ten rounds) to cast and uses a 3rd level spell slot, right? Spending a 3rd level spell is a real cost, and time may prevent this tactic being used in some circumstances.

I would tend to agree that if a character is reaching out through the hut wall/field to manipulate a trapped object, they are subject to the damage if it goes off. Even if it's "just their hand"; IRL people have died due to wound shock (like a bullet) to an extremity.

A 10' pole can circumvent some traps, but will not provide fine enough manipulation for more advanced ones.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The spell ends if the caster leaves the dome.

Edit: Reading it again, I was thinking they put the chest in the dome and were outside the dome messing with it. So never mind there.

Last edited:

Main weaknesses, as already mentioned are:
1. It takes 10 minutes to cast, so not something you're likely to use in a dungeon where baddies are still walking around.
2. Trying to fiddle with a locked and trapped chest with an extra instrument (a stick like you suggested or any finger longer) should make it a disadvantage roll.
3. Smart DMs will quickly switch from traps that hurt PCs to traps that destroy the loot. No dome is going to protect that valuable map or magic scroll from fire damage when the party failed to disarm the trap!

Not that I can immediately think of, though I don't have the spell description to-hand. LTH does take a full minute (ten rounds) to cast and uses a 3rd level spell slot, right? Spending a 3rd level spell is a real cost, and time may prevent this tactic being used in some circumstances.
It’s a ritual spell, so in many cases it will not take a spell slot.
A 10' pole can circumvent some traps, but will not provide fine enough manipulation for more advanced ones.
Mage hand can do the same thing, obviating both the need for LTH and a 10’ pole.

Also, don’t explosive runes explode when you see them? My impression is that once the party has realized the threat, the danger posed by the trap has been neutralized.

Worth noting that injuring the party that opens a chest trapped with explosive runes is the secondary purpose of the trap. The primary purpose of the trap is destroying whatever was in the chest so it doesn’t fall in enemy hands.

I agree that LTH is overpowered, just that this isn’t an instance of it.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Nothing off the top of my head, either - seems like a nice, creative use of the spell. I did cost the party a 3rd level spell slot or 10 minutes to cast. Let them have their win this time but it shouldn't necessarily always be safe to cast as a ritual.
The 10 minutes would be tricky in my games and potentially the space in which they'd have to cast it. They're already likely to spend 10 minutes searching for the trap, 10 minutes figuring out the trap, plus 10 minutes to disarm it. Another 10 minutes of ritual casting on top of that (since they won't likely cast it until they've figured out the trap and know this tactic may work) is 4 wandering monster checks potentially and/or 40 minutes closer to doom in whatever countdown is happening. If by some reason they are able to use this tactic a lot in the adventure location, that time and resource drain is going to add up.

It’s a ritual spell, so in many cases it will not take a spell slot.

Mage hand can do the same thing, obviating both the need for LTH and a 10’ pole.

Also, don’t explosive runes explode when you see them? My impression is that once the party has realized the threat, the danger posed by the trap has been neutralized.

Worth noting that injuring the party that opens a chest trapped with explosive runes is the secondary purpose of the trap. The primary purpose of the trap is destroying whatever was in the chest so it doesn’t fall in enemy hands.

I agree that LTH is overpowered, just that this isn’t an instance of it.
This trap was set up to not destroy the chest or the contents and was set to trigger when the chest was disturbed.

jgsugden

Legend
PCs are supposed to solve problems and be creative, right? This isn't a problem to lament, it is something to celebrate. As PCs become more powerful they'll have more options to bypass problems. Let them. Congratulate them. Celebrate the success. As a DM, you're there to help weave a good story and give them a mix of interesting challenges and chances to show that they're playing heroes. If everything is designed to be a deadly trap, deadly encounter impossible puzzle they stop feeling like heroes. Let your Spider-men face off against some of those run of the mill muggers!

Remove ads