Avoiding Gaze Attacks

Pinotage

Explorer
I seem to recall that there was a spell that granted some protection against gaze attacks but I can't remember where it was from or what its name was. Obviously spells like blindsight help, but this was something specific to avoiding gaze attacks. Anybody know of such a spell?

Thanks

Pinotage

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
While there may not be any specific protections for gaze attacks, there are quite a few ways to negate a them. Based on what the rules say, if you can see the creature and you are within range, you have to either be blind folded or otherwise avert your eyes to avoid suffering the gaze effect. There are a number of spells that can help you in this.

1) Anything that blocks line of sight, like Obscuring Mist, Stinking Cloud, Darkness, etc.

2) The rules also imply the creature needs to see you. Blinding the creature may block the gaze effect (I may be mistaken on this.) If that is the case, Glitter dust and Blindness will help out here. If Blinding the creature will not work, you could always just use the above spells on yourself.

3) Since a Gaze attack has a range of 30 feet unless stated otherwise, you can always switch to your favorite ranged weapon and just keep your distance and pincushion it to death.

END COMMUNICATION

Pinotage

Explorer
Quez The Lame said:
Shadow Mask, from Spell Compendium (p. 185) gives you an extra 50% chance to avoid having to make saves against gaze attacks.

That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks! I seem to remember it being better, but 2 chances are a lot better than one!

Pinotage

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases