Backswords and Bucklers - now the OSR has my attention!

The Shaman

First Post
Elizabethan fantasy using Swords and Wizardry - 'od's bodkins, this looks friggin' awesome!

I'm a devotee of historical roleplaying games and decidedly not a fantasy fan, but this looks like a very good middle ground, plus I played OD&D a couple of weeks ago and I was reminded how much I enjoy that system.

I've been looking for a game to teach my kids when they get a little older, and I think this may be the one. I've got an idea for a game in which an English Sea Dog sets off in search of Prince Madoc's descendents in the New World - an Arthurian kingdom of Welsh knights on the Mississippi, Viking longboats on the Great Lakes, aboriginal American confederations, faeries and wendigos, and the accursed Spanish riding across the Great Plains . . .

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Have you ever checked out Northern Crown? It sounds like it might be another good middle ground game for you, and covers some of the same territory as your game idea.

dougmander

Explorer
I've been looking for a game to teach my kids when they get a little older, and I think this may be the one. I've got an idea for a game in which an English Sea Dog sets off in search of Prince Madoc's descendents in the New World - an Arthurian kingdom of Welsh knights on the Mississippi, Viking longboats on the Great Lakes, aboriginal American confederations, faeries and wendigos, and the accursed Spanish riding across the Great Plains . . .

I agree with Whizbang, that sounds a bit like Northern Crown. It is a d20 System game, but you can easily just use the setting and ignore the system if that's your preference.

I'm familiar with NC, which is set two hundred years after the period pf B&B and likely shares some of the same mythic origins as the campaign I'm thinking of.

If you haven't, you might check out 7th Sea. It features an alternate Europe around the time of the renaissance. The combat is more detailed then old school D&D, but nothing like 3.5 or 4E level of detail (no minis, abstract combat, etc). Each nation has a unique magic and unique swordsmen schools as well.

It has a very heroic bent to it though. Heroes are more like leading men in the Three Musketteers then leading men in A Song of Ice and Fire. If anything, it might be a good source for setting details.

(and yeah, I love 7th Sea, so any chance to recommend it, I take :D)

The Shaman

First Post
If you haven't, you might check out 7th Sea.
Because when I said I wanted to run Elizabethan fantasy OD&D in mythic North America, what I really meant is that I wanted to play a different system in a Restoration-era* vaguely Europe-like fantasy setting?

:confused:

Anyway, yes, I have a couple of 7th Sea titles. My least favorite feature is the setting.

* John Wick is quite clear that the game draws from the Restoration, not the Renaissance.

Remove ads