D&D 5E Boop

What is the best Chassis for a 5e Warlord class?

• Artificer

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Bard

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleric

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Monk

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Ranger

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Sorcerer

• Druid

• Wizard

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Warlock

Votes: 9 14.5%

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Paladin and Bard are jumping out right away. I wouldn’t recommend Bard. I think it’s just the overlapping concept that people associate, not any mechanical convergence.
I think people may vote for paladin for their Aura and the bard for the inspiration die, which are indeed interesting mechanic that could be modified for a martial support.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think people may vote for paladin for their Aura and the bard for the inspiration die, which are indeed interesting mechanic that could be modified for a martial support.
Absolutely. Paladin Auras and inspiration dice are baller leadership features.

I actually wish the Bard had gotten auras they could activate as a bonus action instead of inspiring a single ally, but it is what it is.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Really interesting to see Paladin and Bard as the leaders currently. I might be misunderstanding the question, so I'll start with how I think they'd work as subclasses and then my opinion on if its a class of its own.

Seems really possible to do a Cleric domain that has a little warlord in him (as the War Domain does) but I'd want more. Paladin could work similarly.

Fighter and Bard seem like they give the most blank slate to allow stuff to make it a Warlord subclass.

If we're talking about a full class, I actually think starting the subclass at level 1 in a way similar to the Cleric could be quite good. Use the same types of Warlords we had in 4E as the "domains," maybe add something new as well. Channel Divinity could be used basically as it is, with a new name. In place of spells, you add something like battle master maneuvers that are focused on buffing allies and granting attacks in certain scenarios.

Reading about others talking about the Monk as the chassis, I agree that this could be a good chassis. Ki-driven (with a new name for ki) but focused on buffing and granting attacks, with some sporadic bonuses for movement and maybe one ability to help initiative for an ally (but maybe not to the point of initiative tricks we had in 4E).

I figured bardic inspiration but I hadn't considered the Paladin's auras. Good point. This also reminded me of the Sentinel Druid and the Fey Beast Tamer theme from 4E which had auras that gave a small benefit while allies were in it, or a buff to attacking enemies that were in it. I think exploring the aura concept further would be an interesting design space for a warlord rework.

Tales and Chronicles

Yep, and Ki and martial arts are a really strong model for a scaling bonus and a limited resource.
I’d guess that we could add about the same damage as MA to ally attacks, scaling about the same. “Once per turn when you use the attack action, you can lead the attack. The next ally who hits a creature you can see with an attack deals damage equal to your Leadership Die.” Or something vaguely along those lines.
Then ki could either be XYZ points, or be stripped out and replaced with dice. But unless we can make it work to have the same die progression in the Leadership Dice and the Inspiration Dice or whatever, I’d recommend keeping it to points.

In the 13th Age, the Commander class can spend Command points to fuel its features, but its not from a pool of points. Instead, when they make an attack that hits, he generate XdY points that they can spend on their feature. I think the Warlord could have a pool of Inspiration dice to give to other players (ala bard) or to spend to generate command points to fuel their features.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In the 13th Age, the Commander class can spend Command points to fuel its features, but its not from a pool of points. Instead, when they make an attack that hits, he generate XdY points that they can spend on their feature. I think the Warlord could have a pool of Inspiration dice to give to other players (ala bard) or to spend to generate command points to fuel their features.
It could. My ideal would be for the class to grant bonuses on most turns, if not every turn.
However, perhaps in place of ki, it could have a feature when it hits something that allows it to boost its regular buff based on a die roll?

Tales and Chronicles

Link to PDF:
Link to Reddit thread:
Ahhh, yes KT's warlords. I love most of it (I dont like Overhelming mark or most of the archetypes), and the idea to grant an extra attack on the target NEXT turn is genius, because it removes the fear some people have of having a rogue sneak attacking twice in a round.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases