D&D 5E Boop

What is the best Chassis for a 5e Warlord class?

• Artificer

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Bard

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleric

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Monk

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Ranger

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Sorcerer

• Druid

• Wizard

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Warlock

Votes: 9 14.5%

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
So I bet Nietzsche and you raise me Carruthers? I see how it is.

If this work seems so threatening, this is because it isn't simply eccentric or strange, but competent, rigorously argued, and carrying conviction.

So there.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
As much fun as this is I'm going to wave the white flag so we don't crap all over this thread. Nice playing the dozens with you sir.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yep, definitely see it, it's just that it's best for the aspects of the Warlord for which there's the least urgent call already in 5e: a Paladin-based Warlord would be just a little bit more Warlordly than the BM. The Bard as a template also already gives us a more melee-oriented build, as well, though, so I feel it's a good mechanical guide for more of the full range of the class. Similarly, the Cleric is a good template, because it maximizes rest resources, being one of the less at-will-DPR-committed classes in the game.

Of course, the ultimate would be not using a template, at all, but creating a mechanically unique Warlord, concept-first, which'd also be very much in accord with 5e design principles, just, y'know, requiring a professional designer initiated into whatever inner mysteries of those there may be... ;)
What happens if one adds Bravura bits to the Valor Bard ;p

Tony Vargas

Legend
Don't discount that monk just yet. I'm pretty happy with the foundation, but the devil is in the abilities and the scaling. I think it has promise anyway.
Don't discount that monk just yet. I'm pretty happy with the foundation, but the devil is in the abilities and the scaling. I think it has promise anyway.
I'll keep an open mind and look at the result if something comes of it.

Mind you, I have no Warlord baggage of any kind, so I might be easier to please then your average bear.
There is a lot of lingering edition-war animosity towards the class, still, yes. And comparable defensiveness in reaction to it.

What happens if one adds Bravura bits to the Valor Bard ;p
The Valor sub-class seems analogous to the Bravura, Lore to the Hector & Lazy, room for most everything else between...

...But Cleric strikes me as a slightly better template.

Last edited:

Remove ads