D&D 5E Boop

What is the best Chassis for a 5e Warlord class?

• Artificer

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Bard

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleric

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Monk

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Ranger

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Sorcerer

• Druid

• Wizard

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Warlock

Votes: 9 14.5%

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If we can get this first attempt to work, making another one based off of the bard would be a logical next attempt.

....but I'll have to respectfully decline to participate being responsible for the Paladin version. ;)
Honestly if things go well in the monk version, I’m maybe gonna tinker a rework of the fighter that simply turns the fighter base class into a “warlord”, leveraging at-will control and support instead of personal DPR.
Mostly because the Captain is what the fighter shoulda been, IMO. A paragon of martial prowess who is so damn good they raise the morale of their allies and dismay their enemies.

I don’t really see the value of the bard to the concept, though. It’s just a full caster with a short rest heal and a dice mechanic that you either throw out to bring in a new mechanic, or emulate directly, at which point you haven’t built a class, you’ve just...reflavored the bard.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Honestly if things go well in the monk version, I’m maybe gonna tinker a rework of the fighter that simply turns the fighter base class into a “warlord”
I have to admit to that line of thought, at times, too. A class based around manuevers, just more, more varied, more customizable, more versatile - and level-gated.

From that you could build a fighter that takes up a combination of tanking, single or multi- target DPR, support, or even control, depending on build, tactics and weapon mix. Done well, with 5e's fairly seamless STR/DEX decision, you might even fold rogue into it.

It's tempting, like the thought of consolidating arcane casters into a Mage class, or divine classes into a Priest.

leveraging at-will control and support instead of personal DPR.
At-will abilities are pretty limited. Guidance is an example of at-will support. It's oddly controversial. At-will healing is hard to imagine.

I don’t really see the value of the bard to the concept, though. It’s just a full caster
Its a template of at-will to short to long rest recharges, weighted towards the last, which is where critical support functions fit. Cleric or Bard, really.

The trick is to use a different, martial resource, like manuevers, but moreso...

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I have to admit to that line of thought, at times, too. A class based around manuevers, just more, more varied, more customizable, more versatile - and level-gated.

From that you could build a fighter that takes up a combination of tanking, single or multi- target DPR, support, or even control, depending on build, tactics and weapon mix. Done well, with 5e's fairly seamless STR/DEX decision, you might even fold rogue into it.

It's tempting, like the thought of consolidating arcane casters into a Mage class, or divine classes into a Priest.

At-will abilities are pretty limited. Guidance is an example of at-will support. It's oddly controversial. At-will healing is hard to imagine.

Its a template of at-will to short to long rest recharges, weighted towards the last, which is where critical support functions fit. Cleric or Bard, really.

The trick is to use a different, martial resource, like manuevers, but moreso...
So, make new spells, but call them something else. I just...can’t be inspired by that.

it’s okay to not have reality warping power once a day, and instead have significant power that will change the course of every scene in a day.

anyway, I’d not try to fold too much into one class, and I don’t agree that it could ever be flexible enough to do both the Cavalier and the Rogue justice, but otherwise I’m interested in making the fighter more interesting.

my ideal Fighter class would have leaned toward captain/paragon from the start, and would have gained Legendary Actions instead of Extra Extra Attacks.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Guidance is an example of at-will support.
Your aura of martial supremacy causes the enemy overreach and stumble ie make guidance into a presence which for warlord types can affect enemies negatively as well

...But Cleric strikes me as a slightly better template.
?
anyway, I’d not try to fold too much into one class
They made two martial classes and whelp we are done... those ought to be uber versatile no?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The bard has some healing, dice used to help allies and hurt enemies, and full spell casting to convert into other abilities as needed. There's a reason why people though it was a good chassis for the Warlord. Personally, I like the Paladin better, but that's just me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases