Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Sentinel

Votes: 0 0.0%

Tony Vargas

Legend
Jfc I don’t care, Tony.
You asked.
None of those fit what you described.
Cleric and Sorcerer also have been used in the media to translate terms for radical religious leaders who order murders and incite terrorism (certainly 'violent' and more arguably 'psychopaths,' and charlatans who prey upon the superstitious

Calling Robin Hood a warlord is the absolute most absurd leap I’ve seen here in a very long time.
He fits the definition you chose. It's not a leap, at all. The class isn't exactly a bad fit for him, either.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
''Marshal'. To "marshal" people around is a good part of what the class does, but it also does not represent a status position above the others in the party, like 'Captain' or 'Commander' does. Or indeed like the idea of a "Leader" does too.

You do know that Marshal is the highest military rank in many nations?

personally I like Captain (change it to Capitaine if you want something more exotic)

I’m also enamoured of the term Stratarches

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Eh, all of these are fine choices. I think I like "commander" best, but "officer" would be good too. As an officer, you could change your title as you advance, going from Lieutenant to General (or from Ensign to Fleet Admiral, for those in the Navy) as you advance in level.

And it's neither here nor there, but I built a pretty great "battlefield leader" out of a human bard with the Soldier background and the Inspiring Leader feat. What's in a name, really?

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
. As an officer, you could change your title as you advance, going from Lieutenant to General (or from Ensign to Fleet Admiral, for those in the Navy) as you advance in level.
While the misconception that the Warlord class implies legitimate position or power or must automatically be the party leader (in the sense of bossing players around) is one of the complaints we here about the class, and any military rank or legitimate-authority name is thus pretty fraught, I'm increasingly convinced there should be a sub-class that represents just that, because particularly talented/skilled officers might be modeled as Warlords. While Captain or Commander could be used for such a sub-class, I suppose Officer makes some sense, since you can, as you say, work promotions into it, and it's just generally less specific.

Though, D&D class names aren't assumed to be used by the characters, themselves (not since, maybe 1e level titles). A "Captain of the Guard" could be a Warlord, Fighter, or Ranger - or an NPC-stat-block Guard - or even a Rogue or caster of some sort, in a high-magic setting like FR. Even if a subclass were called 'Captain' the character might be called "Lieutenant" or "General" or "Hipparch" or whatever in accord with the rank he earns in his adventures.

And it's neither here nor there, but I built a pretty great "battlefield leader" out of a human bard with the Soldier background and the Inspiring Leader feat. What's in a name, really?
In the name "Bard" in D&D?
9 levels of spellcasting. ;)

Robin Hood was the leader of a band, the merry men, closer to a special operations squad, but he wasn't an expansive conqueror. He only controlled his own zone, the Sherkwood forest, until the ultimate victory against the villain in the end of the movie.

Remove ads