[Blade Barrier] what happens when...

Sodalis

First Post
we were fighting a dragon (huge one) and i had cast blade barrier ten rounds before (it last 10 min/ lvl- i am lvl 13) and the dragon (er DM) forgot that it was there...

He swooped down and clamped me with his bit attack but was right in the midle of the blade barrier.

My question:
in the descr. it says spell resistance: yes
so the DM had me roll a spell resistance check and i failed. what happens now?

I reasoned that the blades are only subj to SR when it is cast. After that, these are physical blades that are not subject to SR (because the enemy can see it and avoid it)

He says he will check up on it- but for the time being- right when he enters the blades, the SR takes effect and since it failed, he can freely come in and out of the bladed area without any effect.

but in the spell descr. it states that any creature coming into the area automatically takes damage or something to that effect..... so I would think that the dragon takes auto damage....

what is your take on the rule?

pontus

First Post
Sodalis said:
in the descr. it says spell resistance: yes
so the DM had me roll a spell resistance check and i failed. what happens now?
As far as the creature is concerned, your spell doesn't matter. Each spell gives only one SR check. If you fail to overcome the SR then the creature is free to ignore your spell, if you overcome the SR then the creature will take damage each time it enters the blade barrier.

gfunk

First Post
I agree with Pontus. Here is the relevant quote from the SRD,

"Check spell resistance only once for any particular casting of a spell or use of a spell-like ability. If spell resistance fails the first time, it fails each time the creature encounters that same casting of the spell. Likewise, if the spell resistance succeeds the first time, it always succeeds. "

Also to Sodalis,

Magic is magic. It doesn't matter if you wait right after you cast the spell or hours after you cast it. Thus if you cast an Acid Fog, for instance, and something walked into it later it still would get to use its SR. However as Pontus and the SRD say, you only check SR once for any given spell and that check holds for further encounters with that spell.

-Ekimus-

First Post
our group has house rule. we had a fight where there was a blade barrier in the middle, so one would have to make constant reflex rolls to avoid being hit, but we would have a SR check each time they went thru it for no damage for that period of time. we think it makes it a little more fun and risky but its a house rule :)

Palskane

First Post
Another Blade Barrier question....

Let's say I'm caught in a Blade Barrier, failing my Reflex save. What exactly can I do, or not do? Some examples:

a. If I stay in my square, thus not moving, I take no more damage.

b. I can cast spells, as long as I don't move, and take no damage.

c. I can cast spells, but if they have somatic components I take damage.

d. I can't cast spells at all.

e. I take damage no matter what as long as I am within the Barrier, as well as when I move out.

I think it's clear that should I move into or out of it I take damage automatically with no save. But what actions can I take when trapped? What about items such as wands and staffs? They take no gestures, so can I use them? Drink a potion?

Thanks in advance.

gfunk

First Post
Re: Another Blade Barrier question....

Palskane said:
I think it's clear that should I move into or out of it I take damage automatically with no save. But what actions can I take when trapped? What about items such as wands and staffs? They take no gestures, so can I use them? Drink a potion?

Thanks in advance.

If you are caught in the Blade Barrier when it forms and you fail your Reflex save, then you go nowhere and take damage. On your action, you may leave the Barrier *by the most direct route* and not suffer additional damage (this is what I think). You will only take damage again if you (a) re-enter the barrier or (b) are in the barrier on the Initiative segment that it was originally cast at.

Remove ads