Blizzard at Revel's End (OOC) Temporary Hiatus

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ok, I missed the fire barrel, thanks for that.
Another question: I forgot to rage! Will you let Thorbin rage in the surprise round (it’s a bonus action anyways)?
Thanks and cheers,

SG
Technically you can't do bonus actions when Surprised, either. The only thing you can do is wait for your turn, then AFTER your turn, you can take REACTIONS. So monks could catch projectiles, or you can opportunity attack.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yup. It makes little difference, though, unless you want to do two things that require a bonus action on round 2. (Like Doc's wildshape - it may have looked like I approved him doing it while surprised but really I just acknowledged his intent and had him start shifting as fluff - then I watched to see if he tried to use a bonus action the following round which I think he did not). I do it this way so I don't have to spend too much time telling players "no". I don't like to do that unless I absolutely have to.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Yup. It makes little difference, though, unless you want to do two things that require a bonus action on round 2. (Like Doc's wildshape - it may have looked like I approved him doing it while surprised but really I just acknowledged his intent and had him start shifting as fluff - then I watched to see if he tried to use a bonus action the following round which I think he did not). I do it this way so I don't have to spend too much time telling players "no". I don't like to do that unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks. I had him rage as a bonus action in the current round IC, to stick with the rules. Because of GWM + reckless attack, chances are pretty good that he’ll be downing foes every round. If he does, he gets an extra bonus action attack. Since he raged this round, he doesn’t get another bonus action. That’ll hopefully be for next round ;-)

I’m really looking forward to see how sentinel meshes in with this, and hopefully, he gets to paint the sea red with the blood of sahuagin (assuming their blood is red, of course!).
Cheers,

sg

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
As an aside, I've trained a bit in the use of a polearm (though not a pike, really). Anyway, I sort-of don't entirely agree with the fluff of how the feat works anyway, pike or not. It's pretty slow to turn a polearm around (even a shorter one) and yet it's pretty quick to thrust it twice. At any rate, rather than saying that the feat wouldn't work with a pike, I would just have changed the fluff to represent a quick weak-thrust as the bonus action, seeing as they consider the bonus action 1d4 to be balanced with the regular attack of other polearms, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. But that's just me.

(As an aside, I can't imagine how anyone would use a quarterstaff without using both ends, which 5e doesn't model at all, go figure.)
FYI, I missed this, and just saw it as I was re-reading. I fully agree. I also trained with polearms, and don’t know how the heck you could swing them around, in melee above all, to use the butt end. We’re talking about 6ft + sticks with a weight on one end! Smacking with the shaft or another piercing/slashing blow is way more realistic (and you have a lot of control, since using two hands).

I also trained with the quarterstaff, and I don’t see any situation where I’d use one one handed (for ex, with a shield, as the rules in 5 e seem to allow). And all combat techniques I’ve learned make you use the two butt-ends.

So awesome if Thorbin can make a secondary d4 attack with the pike. It’ll compete with the full bonus action attack if he crits or downs an enemy, so I’m not sure he’ll be using that a lot, but it’ll be nice to have the option.

Btw, I’m loving the game so far!
Cheers,

SG

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So do I make the athletics check as part of round 1 or round 2?
Did you use an action yet? I don't think you actually have. (I started out calling it a surprise round, intending that to be followed by round 1, but then I 5e-corrected myself. Round 1 was where everyone other than Lex, Razum, and Thorbin were surprised, everyone is now going for round 2). You popped out Red Ghost and moved, right? Could break into a box if you like this round, I think.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Did you use an action yet? I don't think you actually have. (I started out calling it a surprise round, intending that to be followed by round 1, but then I 5e-corrected myself. Round 1 was where everyone other than Lex, Razum, and Thorbin were surprised, everyone is now going for round 2). You popped out Red Ghost and moved, right? Could break into a box if you like this round, I think.

Hey, if Thorbin wasn’t surprised, he would have bonus action raged in round 1, meaning that he still has a bonus action for round 2. I’ll wait for the full resolution, but if his Sahuagin target dies, he’d get a 1d10 gwm reckless attack, and if not, it’s a 1d4 shaft strike.
I think these if/then scenarios will get tricky, let’s play it by ear.
Cheers,

sg

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I haven't used an action yet.

Athletics: 1D20+5 = [16]+5 = 21

Next round it looks like he will be hauling that tasty blubber. The cool thing about having an echo is that Py'Cott can load up with as much as he can fit in his arms and still have a way to attack.

Actually, that's a good question for next round: how much whale-fat can he gather?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases