ZEITGEIST Caius Bargeron, Lya Jierre and a party that's screwed to a point they can't even comprehend

Levistej

First Post
We've been playing ZG for a while but I believe this deserves it's own post.

To keep things short, we are in Digging for lies, the party just entering the waters near the Ziggurat of Mavisha, sailing to there for a good week. As they really liked here before and thought she could be of help, after they found Caius Bergeron dead and obviously linked to Mcbannin/the Bleak gate/the ziggurat, the party decided to contact Lya Jierre.

They asked her what she knew about Bergeron and the like. She didn't really give out any information, mostly that he's a wealthy man with a famous family and his death, no matter his shady dealings, will be mourned in Danor. She said she'll help in any way she can see fit and asked to be informed if they find his killer or any evidence of his collusion with Mcbannin or some other BBEG.

Obviously Lya would inform Finona and her crew that Caius was dead and that the RHC is on the prowl for them. The Dracon still hasn't spotted their boat but it's bound to happen next session. They also completely ignored xambrias and Pacos ships and took a long route by night to stay out of sight. What happens next?

Seeing as they were informed they probably hastened up the seal excavation and have the info they need. Do they take sail when they see the party? Do they shoot and kill? How does the party get the info from Finonas memorandum if she escapes, it is quite vital later on? How does Xambria respond to the situation?

God I LOVE THIS MODULE!

First, where was Lya that they were able to contact her so readily?

The simplest solution might be to assume that Finona's crew screws up. If they get word they're on a clock and they rush, maybe they open the seal prematurely and get attacked. Finona and maybe some minions get to the Dracon, and a whirlpool damages it. The whirlpool might just last a few minutes, preferably striking right as the party is coming in.

Then all ships in the area (which might be listing from the rough seas) get boarded by fishmen. The party only has a few to deal with, but they hear fighting on the Dracon. Eventually I assume they get over there and find the crew a bit depleted, but maybe a nasty water monster trying to get at Finona and others who barricaded themselves.

Levistej

First Post
They used sending, mainly the scrolls found in Bergerons closet :D

Yeah, I could see such a scenario unfolding, but as they are currently planning to stealth into the ziggurat but firstly detonate the patroling shark with a bomb, I think I'm heading into a TPK soon :D.

Levistej

First Post
Yeah well, I didn't think of that explanation and now I have a mess on my hands :D I also thought that magic could function partially in Danor, but that the effect and practitioners grew "impotent" over time.

I literally cannot think of a way for the party to get away with this without some divine intervention :/

Like I said, it's easy. If Finona gets the heads up, she rushes. Rushing causes things to go wrong. The party comes upon the aftermath of that, with the Dracon crippled so it can't outrun them.

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
I wrote a long reply with ideas for avoiding the problem yesterday and it has vanished.
There are two big ways of avoiding the problems caused by talking to Lya besides Rangerwicketts solution.
1) The Ob does not do anything. Using the information provided to Lya unmasks her as an agent of the Ob and maintaining the trust of the Risuri of Lya is probably more important for the Ob than the dig is to them so no reason to risk compromising her.
2) Give Sijhen more resources and have them mess up the Ob preperations so the risk is still managable for the pcs

Remove ads