Campaign in a Box

Eltern

First Post
Summer is almost over again, and I will be returning to college this fall. I'm thinking of running a campaign with a few of my friends who haven't played before, but I'd like to minimize work for myself. You know, I have classes and all that, too. ;) So I'm looking for a campaign in a box. One product that I can curl up with and study for a weekend and then be ready to run for the next year or so.

I've had a lot of success in the past: Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil and Banewarrens, while at times a bit too dungeon-crawly for my taste, have served me well. I'm considering running one of these again, but I'd like to know what else is out there.

I know Age of Worms is just starting, but I'd rather have a full storyline, start to finish, in my hands from the beginning. Shackled City sounds like it could be fun, but I'm leary of too much dungeon crawl and not enough roleplay, and it sounds like it has elements of railroading. The Freeport Trilogy is supposed to be reprinted soon, but I've only heard "It's good," and not much detail other than that.

World's Largest Dungeon is right out :p

Any other suggestions? I know this is a kind of product that we haven't had a lot since 2e. I would convert an old module path, but that takes work, which as I said I want to minimize. That, and I'm really RP-focused and want to avoid Ye Olde Dungeon Crawl, which a lot of those were.

Thanks for the help!

Crothian

First Post
The Drow Wars (Mongoose) might work, only ther first book is out but it takes playewrs from 1-10th, so by the time you get there the second should be out that takes them from 11-20, the final book should be out when you get to 20 to take them from 21-30

A simplier but more work for you would be Interludes, a Dungeon Crawl Classic by goodman games. It has a lots olittle adventires and plots that are connected. Its not a very big book, but does take players from like first to 12th but does require other adventures by the DM.

delericho

Legend
If you can get the back issues, Dungeon magazine ran a mini-arc set in Istivin. The adventures are as follows: "Touch of the Abyss" (#117, also contains backdrop article), "Shadow of the Abyss" (#118) and "Wrath of the Abyss (#119). It's quite short, at only three adventures, and it's for 11th level characters (to start), but these are probably the Dungeon adventures that I most want to run.

The Age of Worms Adventure Path looks phenomenal, although I've only read the first installment so far.

The Shackled City Adventure Path is also excellent. However, it does suffer from too many dungeon crawls (IMO), and definately relies on the DM to increase the amount of roleplay required. My group didn't find it to be too railroaded, but it's possible they were just humouring me.

I second the The Shackled City campaign. I'm running it now out of past issues of Dungeon and it's a lot of fun.

It should be out shortly in hardback from Paizo. I believe it is going to be a small to mid-sized print run so I'd snap it up quick.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Exquisite Dead Guy said:
I second the The Shackled City campaign. I'm running it now out of past issues of Dungeon and it's a lot of fun.

It should be out shortly in hardback from Paizo. I believe it is going to be a small to mid-sized print run so I'd snap it up quick.

yeahthat.gif

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Check out The Lost City of Barakus by Necromancer Games. It takes you from 1st-5th level and recommends you cut xp in half (so the party doen't quickly outstrip the challenges). After you finish that, you can head over to The Vault of Larin Karr and take them up to 10th-11th level (regular xp advancement). Barakus, itself, is a dungeon crawl, but the city of endhome is rife with intrigue and adventure. The VoLK has lots of little quests in Quail Valley that add up to a pretty neat mini-campaign. The only problem with VolK is that it's 3.0. Check the Necromancer boards for tons of info on these. You'll really like them...

IronWolf

blank
I would definitely reconsider ruling out either of the Adventure Paths. Despite Age of Worms just getting started, they are doing a great job of getting a lot of background information out. I imagine they will have learned from any potential short comings of Shackled City, making Age of Worms all the better.

Remove ads