Causality and Condemnation (Planescape) [Updated 9/19]

ThirdWizard

First Post
I've decided to start chronicling my campaign in Story Hour form, but this campaign actually started in 1998! This is my longest running Planescape game, and there's a lot of history behind it, so I'm going to try to ease anyone in who honors me with their time. Maybe someday I'll work on logging the backstory, but that will be a lot of work to attempt. This picks up at the last session I ran.

Short info on characters:
[sblock]
The Jackal - (human male) Professional man for hire. Member of the Fated faction.
Malbi - (human male) Scholar and wizard, mostly interested in Planar knowledge. Signer.
Stock - (bugbear male) Consumate soldier and prime turned planeswalker.
Grum - (half ogre male) Priest of battle and newest member of the group. Signer.
Black Dagger - (tiefling male) Factotum in the Fated, the group hires him now and then.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
"Yes, but how much did you get paid for doing all that?"
-Factotum Black Dagger of the Fated, talking to a Sensate.

Session 7/8/06 - In Search Of

Finally, after endless assassination attempts, they had a name to go with the unknown person who was after them. The four of them, Jackal, Malbi, Stock, and newly recruited Grum brooded in their tower and contemplated their next move. His name was Caradver, a Factotum in the Dustmen. Hopefully, they could find him and put and end to these endless assassination attempts – one way or the other. But, first, they had to find him, and all they had to go on was a name. And, the best person they knew to help them was Black Dagger, a Factotum himself in the Fated, and Jackal’s associate.

The party had cut a deal with him, and now they were just waiting for him to show up, each making do with the time they had on their hands. Stock spent most of his time working with the guards outside the tower and keeping them on their toes. Grum was still getting used to living in the tower and the fact that his old room was formerly occupied by a mind flayer. Jackal mostly drank to pass the time, contemplating what he would do to Caradver when he finally got his hands on him. And, Malbi spent all his free time either working in his lab or working with his apprentice.

Then, there was a knocking on the door. On the other side was their guard Captain, Benjamin. “That Black Dagger is here to see you. Says he found something.”

“This better turn out not to be a wild goose chase.” Jackal was grumbling as they walked to the Hive, Black Dagger taking the lead. They had been through the Hive a lot recently, and the desolate streets were starting to become somewhat familiar.

“Don’t worry. I heard that he can point you to Caradver.” Black Dagger looked sure of himself. But, then again, he always looked sure of himself.

“So, what’s the plan once we get there?” Malbi stayed close, still not trustful of the inhabitants in the area, and rightly so. They did have assassins after them.

“We fight?” asked Grum. He didn’t seem worried.

“Maybe. We can try talking first, though, I suppose.” said Jackal.

Grum sighed. He had been working full time with them for a few weeks now, and he had been in less fights than promised.

As they made their way down the looping streets and alleyways, their conversation went in and out as they thought about the situation.

Black Dagger offered his plan. “I’m gonna to stay back, then head in a few minutes after you go in. If anything goes wrong at least they won’t know I’m with you. I haven’t met this guy, Greydust, myself so he won’t recognize me.”

Jackal sighed. “You and your ‘contacts.’”

The bar was unnamed and tiny, especially when a half ogre is involved. Especially when he’s trying to look inconspicuous while being laden with weapons. Grum couldn’t stand, so he stood leaning against a wall.

They had arrived before Greydust and decided to spread out in the bar. Malbi and Jackal sat together, while Stock and Grum separated to different tables. There was only one patron in the bar anyway, being that it was still morning, so the only others there were the bartender and a disinterested dwarf who guarded the barrels of swill in the back.

“I’m feeling good about this,” said Malbi as they waited.

“It had better not be a wild goose chase.”

Malbi sighed and almost drank a bit of the ale, but then realized what he was about to do.

As they waited a man in a gray cloak walked into the bar, nodded to the bartender and then headed back toward Jackal and Malbi’s table. The emblem of the Dustmen was pinned to his cloak, and they could see the lines under his dark eyes as he looked at them expressionlessly. This was definitely their man.

“Greydust? Have a seat.” Jackal had decided that he would be the one to do the talking.

Greydust sat down with them. The cloak covered his entire body except his face, and they were happy with that. Dustmen were known more for their consorting with the undead than their personal hygiene.

“You have some information for us concerning Factotum Caradver.” It wasn’t a question.

“I don’t personally know where Caradver is, but I know someone who does.”

Malbi and Jackal both looked perturbed by this. Black Dagger sauntered into the bar and ordered a drink. Malbi had to restrain himself from shooting him a glare, and Jackal was already trying to get what little information out of Greydust that he could.

“Who would this be?” he sighed.

“A man by the name of Grahas Xas. He is one of Caradver’s disciples.”

“Disciples?”

“Yes, they worship the demon lord Orcus.”

Malbi’s eyes shot back to Greydust. He knew who Orcus was, a foul and powerful demon who had died and been reborn; some said as the undead. He ruled an entire layer of the Abyss and called himself the Prince of the Undead. Things just got a lot more complicated if Caradver was a follower of his.

Jackal’s ignorance was bliss for now, “Okay okay, so this Xas guy is going to know where Caradver is, right?” He frowned.

“Of course. He is one of his head men.”

“Then where is he?”

“He is the High Priest Grahas of the Chapel of Tombs of the Lower Ward here in Sigil.”

Malbi groaned loudly at this. The Chapel of Tombs? Sometimes he thought he knew too much about this city for his own good. That was a high profile Dustman temple where they kept many of their honored dead in Sigil. Rumor had it that it was an undead breeding ground, and it was a fact that there were catacombs far beneath each of the five Chapel of Tombs in Sigil.

Jackal shot Malbi a glance, not knowing Malbi was holding back his dread. “And Xas will just tell us where Caradver is?”

“I’m sure you can persuade him.”

“Malbi, do you know where that is?”

Malbi didn’t answer for a second, then responded with a weak “Yes.”

“Okay then. I trust you’ve already been paid for this information.”

“Of course.”

With that, Jackal stood up and left, Malbi following soon afterward, and with no apparent threat, Grum and Stock decided to follow along in suit.

ThirdWizard

First Post
"What if I just hurt them a little?"
-Grum, learning about the finer points of diplomacy

Session 7/8/06 - In Search Of (continued)

“A wild goose chase!” Jackal exclaimed, not caring what attention he attracted at this point. Black Dagger had assured him that Greydust would point him to Caradver. No one bothered to try to calm him down.

Eventually Black Dagger caught up with them.

“This is your informant? You brought us all the way out here so he could tell us someone who could tell us where Caradver is? You could have handled that. What am I paying you for?” Jackal went on, as the object of his frustrations rolled his eyes.

“Hey, that cost me some good jink. And, I was assured that he knew where our mark was, so I’m the one that got bobbed here. Besides, you got a lead.”

Malbi decided it was time for him to speak up. “I don’t like this. The Chapel of Tombs is a major Dustman temple, and they’re followers of Orcus! Orcus is a major demon lord of the undead, and Dustmen are already known to associate with undead. What are we going to do? Just walk in?”

“Yes.”

Malbi opened his mouth for a second, but closed it back. Jackal was looking for a fight.

They headed straight to the Lower Ward and to the Chapel.

The billowing stacks of the Great Foundry loomed overhead as they made their way through the Lower Ward. A lone man with the insignia of the Believers of the Source stood on a small box espousing the ideas that anyone can aspire toward godhood, and a crowd had gathered around him, notably mostly other Godsmen. The pedestrians had notably changed from mostly thugs and beggars to a variety of armed beings, some of which looked extremely fiendish. This is where they called kip.

As Malbi directed them nearer the Chapel where they were headed, the group talked a bit more about their battle plans.

“I’ll wait outside in case you need help,” said Black Dagger.

“It never amazes me how willing you are to put yourself in danger,” Jackal replied.

Malbi sighed and checked his spell component pouch. “Maybe we’ll be able to talk our way through this. They might not even want to fight.”

The others just looked at him.

They turned a corner and the Chapel could be seen over a few rooftops. As they approached, they saw a couple of teenage tiefling girls in provocative clothes waving their tails suggestively at them. Black Dagger waved his back. Jackal cut him an icy look, and Black Dagger rolled his eyes again.

“Here we are,” said Stock. “We just walking in?” The doors were open.

“Of course,” replied Jackal.

The structure of the temple was circular, with only one room apparent upon entrance. Inside were countless mummified corpses, all lined along the walls on four levels. They peered down upon the group as if daring them to enter. The floor was a honeycomb, each bit with a nameplate sealed on. Two pillars stood holding up the arching roof, and a stone alter stood on the far side of the room. Two attendants and a priest were inside the temple, all praying.
The priest stood as he heard the footsteps echoing in the halls and turned toward the party, gazing around the room. He smiled as best he could. “What can I do for you?” It was obvious they were not Dustmen come to pay their respects.

Stock and Grum kept to the rear, watching the exit while Jackal stepped forward, the voice for the party as usual. Malbi stayed between them, watching the attendants for any signs of a pre-emptive strike. These were moves that didn’t go unnoticed.

Jackal wasted no time in getting straight down to business. “Are you Grahas Xas?”

He looked at Jackal peeredly. “I am.”

“Good. We were told you could point us to Factotum Caradver.”

Xas looked at Jackal piercingly, glancing at the entourage behind him. “I’m afraid I can’t help you.”

“We were told you would know where he is.” Jackal’s voice started to sound impatient. Malbi sighed quietly. He didn’t like where this was going.

“By whom?” The Grahas’s eyes narrowed as he looked at Jackal carefully. His two attendants stood and started watching the exchange.

Jackal didn’t hesitate to drop the name after all the trouble he had been through. “A Dustman named Greydust.”

“Never heard of him.”

Jackal was about to respond when he noticed movement on one of the upper landings where the mummies were arranged. One of their hands was moving! Turning quickly, he began to take out his crossbow, now finally glad he could blow off some of his steam.

It all happened so fast that Malbi couldn’t even follow along. Figures emerged from the walls and he heard spellcasting. Grum and Stock were now beside him on either side and Jackal was aiming a crossbow somewhere! He felt searing pain in his side as a ray of fire flew down from above straight for him. Seconds later he saw Stock’s face contort and change, a voice from the other side of the room “Kill the man beside you!” and Stock’s two bladed axe fell on his head, splitting it open. Malbi’s corpse crumpled to the ground.

Jackal fired a shot at the figure above and heard a cry of pain at the same time he saw Stock turn on Malbi. He knew that it must have been some kind of spell. Behind him a figure in a black cloak emerged and attacked Grum with a short sword, Grum crying out in pain and turning to face his attacker. At the same time Jackal caught sight of a second spell slinger, the one who must have turned Stock. Xas stood there with an expression of both amazement and rage growing on his face.

“Assassins,” said Jackal under his breath.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Shieldhaven said:
You're off to a solid start. The story did a good job of grabbing my interest, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.

Fimmtiu said:
Love it! If you keep posting 'em, I'll keep reading 'em. :D

Thanks for the encouragement! I've never done this before.

ThirdWizard

First Post
The berk directly in front of the tiefling is the one bringing up the rear.
-Planar Proverb

“Assassins,” said Jackal under his breath.

As the first barrage ended, the group finally saw their attackers in the light. On the rafters with the mummies was a dark elf, definitely some kind of spellcaster since he had hit Malbi with a of ray of fire. Hiding behind one of the pillars was a tiefling, a woman who was probably also a spellcaster and the one who had dominated Stock’s mind. The third was some kind of pale humanoid with sheer white eyes who was now engaged with Grum. They all wore black cloaks.

“What have you brought into my holy place?” Xas exclaimed, his voice loud and demanding.

Jackal knew that this was about to get very dangerous and decided that however much he disliked the idea, Xas wasn’t part of this, and he was still valuable alive. Pushing Xas back to try and get him behind one of the pillars, he shot a second bolt at the spell slinger above, not able to tell if he hit or missed. He glanced over toward Stock who was still under thrall and hoped Grum could hold his own against the bugbear.

Grum, not wanting to fight Stock, tried to focus his magic into getting rid of the enchantment that held him in sway but failed, his magic rebounding against the power of the one who had Stock controlled. Gritting his teeth, he prepared to fight his way out of it instead.

As Grum bored down onto his assailant, he saw a flash of light and resounding thunder. Glancing over his shoulder, he saw Jackal unscathed, but Xas gripped his burned side. Turning back to his opponent, Grum saw a blur of attacks, some being deflected by his breastplate, but he felt a pain in his calf and thigh, blood trickling downward. A voice called out from the shadows somewhere “Kill the half ogre!” Stock looked at Grum and advanced.

As that was happening, Jackal got a good sight in on the drow above and shot at him, catching him in the right leg, and the enemy fell to the ground. Xas, nursing his burns and looking at the scorch marks on the floor, decided that he had had enough of this. Clearing his mind, he touched upon the spell on Stock and broke the tiefling’s hold over him.

Stock paused only a moment in horror of what he had done. He had a job to do. Moving past Grum, the smile faded from the enemy as he saw Stock was coming after him instead. He tried to duck under Stock’s swing, but it was useless. Stock deftly flipped the double axe so that the other head caught him in the side. In desperation, he clutched his horn in his hands and blew out not sound but a cloud of fog.

The tiefling saw things going downward fast from their initial volley and decided that now was as good a time as ever for a retreat. Grum and Stock in the fog couldn’t see her run by and escape out the doorway, and Jackal was too far away to stop her. Advancing on the fallen drow, Jackal saw that he was still breathing, though unconscious, and when Grum emerged from the cloud, he called him over. Healing him, they tied him up and decided that an interrogation was in order.

The aftermath of the scene was a spectacle to behold. In the formerly impeccably clean Chapel there were now two bodies, Malbi and the pale assassin. They had one enemy stripped of any equipment and tied up for good measure, and there were blood and char marks across the floor. A few of the honored dead had fallen over, and a few more of them were burned slightly. The two temple attendants crouched behind the alter, and Xas was furiously scolding Jackal, who wasn’t taking that very well.

“You bring your battles into my temple?” He fumed, accenting the word my in his speech. “You come in here asking my help in finding a Factotum in my own Faction? To betray them? Then you destroy my temple?” again accenting that the temple was his. “And now you expect me to actually help you? Are you a fool?”

Stock knelt beside Malbi’s body, shaking his head.

“Your good Factotum Caradver is the one who sent those assassins here.” Jackal responded dryly. The assassin attacks were getting out of hand. One false move, and the battle would have gone the other way. And, he knew that Xas was the one responsible for saving all their lives, a fact he didn’t relish thinking about.

Xas looked uncomfortable at this thought.

“It was a setup. We were told you were one of Caradver’s lieutenants!”

Xas harrumphed. “A worshipper of Orcus? Preposterous! That’s not achieving Death. That’s…” he trailed off. “How do I know that you aren’t lying?”

“Do we look like we came here looking for a fight?”

“Yes.”

“Do we look like we came here looking for a fight from them then? Ehhh regardless… it was a setup. They knew we were coming here. Greydust must have-.“ He cut off halfway through his sentence, “Where is Black Dagger?” his expression exploded as he looked around the Chapel.

Stock poked his head out the door for a second to check out the area and see if Black Dagger was there. “He’s not outside. And, those girls are gone…”

Jackal fumed silently, and Grum growled.

“Want me to go look?” asked Stock.

“Wait a minute,” scowled Jackal. “One thing first.” He turned back to Xas. “I noticed you casting spells. Can you do anything about him?” He motioned toward Malbi.

Xas sighed. “I could if I wanted.”

“Look. Caradver has been trying to kill us for almost a year now. Now that you’ve seen the assassins make an attempt on us and know he’s behind it, whether you believe me or not, you’re a part of it and you could very well be a target too. One of those assassins got away, and she saw you help us.”

“I did that because they hit me with a lightning bolt!” he started sweating.

“Tell that to Caradver or the assassins.”

Now Xas’s veneer of calm was almost completely gone. He started pacing, contemplating his situation.

“Stock, go see if Black Dagger is around, and go find a shop and get us some diamond dust so we can bring Malbi back to life. Take Grum with you; they might try again.” They wrapped themselves up to hide the blood stains as best they could and left.

“Good. Now,” he turned back to Xas. “Tell me about Caradver. Then, I advise you to take some time off your duties here and head out of town for a while.”

Xas was getting more and more rattled. “Factotum Caradver is a priest of Orcus and a necromancer. They think that being undead is the way to transcend to True Death. Misguided or power hungry, I don’t know, and I don’t care. There are only a handful of them anyway. He was just another grunt until the man Darius showed up, a weak man hoping to fill the shoes of his father.”

Jackal was about to tell him he wasn’t asking for a life story before he heard the name Darius come up. He had assumed a connection, but this was the first proof he had. “Darius you say? Tell me about him.”

Xas stopped pacing and looked into Jackal’s eyes, unsure. “Darius? He’s enigmatic. He isn’t a Dustman. He came to Caradver and told him secrets of the Twenty Four Relics. Since then he’s grown in power, becoming a Factotum and continuing the work to explore them started over two decades ago by his father. I don’t know if Darius worships Orcus or not.”

“He doesn’t.”

Now Xas began to look interested. “You know him?”

Jackal didn’t answer. “Where can I find Caradver?”

“I don’t know. I told you, I’m not one of his men.” He paused. “Perhaps… I do know of a small shrine to Orcus in the Hive used by Dustmen.” He licked his lips. “Maybe…”

“The wild goose chase continues,” Jackal sighed.

ThirdWizard

First Post
“Honey? Honey? The honey is mine!”
-The Jackal, on catching flies

Malbi coughed and hobbled into the tower, weak from his ordeal. He wasn’t sure what happened after he had died, but he did know that after he had been brought back to life, Jackal had cut some kind of deal with Xas and they had a prisoner. He didn’t much care, he was tired and just wanted to sleep.

“We’ll keep him in the cage by the bulette,” said Jackal. “I’ll interrogate him there. Grum, I’ll need your healing to do this.”

Grum balked. “You can torture him on your own. I’m not interested.”

Jackal looked at Stock, who shook his head. Malbi was already upstairs.

“Fine. I’ll just talk to him. That’s okay right?” He scowled at the others. “Afraid to get your hands dirty. I’ll try it this way just once. It better go right.” He headed downstairs with his prisoner, who hadn’t spoken one word since pulled out of unconsciousness by Grum’s healing magic. This was the second assassin they had managed to capture, and the first who they had the opportunity to question. He was going to find some things out.

As they descended into the fifty foot pit that was in their basement, the familiar rumbling of their hungry bulette shook the walls. Unlike a normal landshark, this one measured somewhere around fifty feet long. They had never gone in to take an exact measurement.

Jackal locked their prisoner in the adjoining cell. The bulette paced back and forth in its own enormous cell across from them. He pulled out a char and sat down, ignoring the beast.

“Can-,“ the prisoner cut off as he began to speak.

Jackal smiled. “Who knows. Maybe with the right incentive, he’ll escape.”

The prisoner was silent.

“This is going to go a lot easier on you if you just tell me what I wan to know. I want to know who you’re working for, what the name of your organization is, and how you get in contact with your superiors. Oh, and if your contractor dies, will the job end?”

The drow raised an eyebrow.

“One way or the other, you’ll talk. Through magic or the old fashion way if it comes down to it. So you might as well just speak up now, and maybe I’ll let you go.”

The drow opened his mouth, thought for a second, then continued. “I’m cut and bleeding. Would you mind getting me some bandages. And perhaps some light. Then I might tell you what you need to know.”

Jackal sighed. Malbi wouldn’t have his spells ready for getting the guy to talk ready until the next day, and it was likely they would need those spells for fighting after what Xas had told him. If he could finish this tonight, it would be worth playing along.

“We’re in the Black Cloak Assassins… a small group. Growing smaller since we took on the job of killing you.” The drow, who was calling himself Tebryn, winced as he wrapped his arm in gauze. The torch sent smoke up in front of him on the floor. Tebryn sighed as he tied off the bandage and began on his other arm. “There are three people at the top, but we don’t know who they are. We just do the jobs we’re told.”

“How do you get your jobs?”

“We have an inn we go to. A cell leader takes a certain room, second floor, third door on the right, and our mark is given there. Then we kill the target.” Before Jackal could ask, he added, “The Blueback Inn, Lady’s Ward.”

“What about the Chapel?” Jackal’s eyes followed his hands’ movements carefully.

“That was special. We got orders right beforehand. Didn’t even know you were going to be there until it happened.”

“And, that came from?”

“I don’t know who he was. He had official orders, though.”

Jackal sighed. Well, at least he had something. If this whole Caradver thing didn’t work out, he had a fallback plan. “And if your contractor dies?”

“I… I don’t know the answer to that.” His eyes followed Jackal’s hands across his crossbow.

“We’ll continue this later. I have other matters to attend to.” Jackal climbed up the ladder, wondering what they would find at the shrine to Orcus the next day.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
The plot thickens! Congeals, even. Coalesces? Whatever. Still good stuff. ;)

Mainly I'm posting because it amuses me to see a drow named Tebryn. A friend of mine played a half-drow by that name in a short-lived City of the Spider Queen game.

Haven

ThirdWizard

First Post
“They’re after me! They’re right behind me! … This color scheme is all wrong.”
-Red Dagger, after coming back from Pandemonium

Sigil was just starting to light up in what passed for dawn in the sunless city. Malbi was leading the way, following the directions that Xas had given them the day before to a graveyard he said was on the border of the Hive and the Clerk’s Ward. Malbi had never heard of it, and they weren’t really any more trusting of Xas than they were of Greydust, but this was a lead, and they were going to follow it.

Finally, they made it to the place, not that there was much of it to see, though its placement was inexplicable. It ran right up to the edge of Sigil, an empty void that usually was never found at street level. Sigil was an inexplicable city itself, being on the inside of a ring, curving upward and around back onto itself. On the edge of the ring was a pure nothingness, not emptiness, nothingness, and it was at this that they were looking.

Usually the edge of the ring was blockaded with buildings with no windows on the far side and the only way to see into this blankness was to climb onto a rooftop and gaze out, but here the infinite expanse of pure nihility stretched out right from the edge of this graveyard. Why there were no buildings here and why a graveyard was built at such a place weren’t things to be concerned with right now, however.

They immediately noticed that there were three mausoleums in the graveyard; Xas hadn’t mentioned that there would be three, so they would have to check each one of them. They approached the middle one, keeping a lookout for anyone else around. They had decided to do this during the day, as they figured that would be the safest time for their attack. They hoped to find one of Caradver’s main men, a bauriaur named Delita, here and question him concerning his boss. That was the plan, anyway.

Jackal knelt down at the door and found it locked after making sure there were no traps on it. Taking just a few seconds, he smiled as the lock unlatched. Motioning to Stock, the large bugbear pushed open the door while the others stood back, just in case. Hearing nothing inside, they slipped into the burial chamber and closed the door behind them.

The room was unlit, but they were all capable of seeing in darkvision, Malbi and Jackal with magical gems (Malbi having converted his into a manacle). The place was cramped for the four of them, but they were immediately sure that they had the right place. On the far end of the room, past three stone coffins, was a black stone slab with crevices carved into it, the floor underneath carved away like a channel toward two candle stands, unlit at the moment.

“We need to search the place,” said Jackal, “Stock, why don’t you check one of those caskets.”

Stock sighed, but did as asked, taking his double axe and pushing away one of the stone slabs coverings. As soon as he had done so, he wished he hadn’t, because he immediately saw stirring inside. Taking a step back, he prepared to fight.

As the mummified figure rose in front of Stock, the two other tops began to stir, and they could see that a fight was imminent. Stock immediately swung for the figure as it reached toward him, Grum moving to Stock’s back to fight another one emerging into sight while Jackal stepped back, taking out his crossbow. At the same time Malbi moved toward the rear, ready to back them up with spells.

As the far left undead rose up, Jackal fired a shot at it, catching it in the shoulder, but it showed no sign of injury. Cursing to himself, he reloaded the crossbow, having to take the gem of darkvision away from his eye. Deciding that wasn’t the best course of action, he went through his bag of holding for his everburning torch and tossed it onto the ground in front of him.

While he was doing that, Stock was fighting an enemy of his own. Slicing the mummy’s side with his axe, it leaned over further to the right than before, but otherwise showed no sign of injury. As he did so, the creature’s shoulder slammed into his side, and he felt not only the pain from the impact, but something else, a pain from inside. Buckling under the strain, his eyes going blurry for a second, he staggered but caught himself quickly. As he looked back, he noted that the mummy’s seams were re-stitching themselves where he had cut it.

“These aren’t normal mummies!” he called out to the others.

“Just great,” responded Jackal, as he put another bolt into the mummy he was closest to as it pulled itself onto the stone floor and shambled toward him.

Malbi took that opportunity to blast away with one of his most powerful spells, incanting his words, he pointed, and a small bead sped from his finger, impacting the far wall and exploding, catching only the mummy Jackal was fighting in a bout of flame. The mummy looked charred, much of its skin gone, but it still advanced upon Jackal.

Grum was having problems of his own. His large size hindered his advancement on the third undead opponent, and he had to straddle the casket it had been interred in, one foot in the grave, so to speak. He swung his great axe at it, impacting it in the head, which hung broken at the neck. But, the thing still attacked him, hitting him in the leg, causing the same nauseating effect Stock had experienced earlier.

Jackal fired another bolt into the mummy, this time hitting him in the leg, but he kept coming. “How many hits can these things take? He looked over at the mummy Grum had been fighting, which now had an arm missing and a large gash in its stomach so that he could see its spine, though the wound was already closing. “Oh.” He pulled out his two short swords, one silver and electricity buzzed around it, the other finely crafted and runed, as he ducked under the approaching mummy’s arm.

Stock was having a hard time, the mummy he was fighting half hidden by its stone coffin, but he couldn’t back up, lest he compromise Malbi’s position. One of his axe heads struck against the stone, but the other made it to the undead creature’s leathery chest, opening him up again where he had healed beforehand. He grunted as he felt another hit, and worked to focus away from the pain it caused.

Malbi now had no place to drop further fireballs. He waved his hands and incanted again, this time several spheres of force appearing, disappearing, then appearing behind the mummy Jackal was fighting to slam into its back. Still standing he observed the situation. Jackal looked the best off, as he hadn’t been in melee with his opponent for long. Grum wasn’t faring very well, but he could heal himself if it got to that. Stock was looking the worst and was protecting him from direct attack, so he decided his next spell would be aimed at that one. He began incanting his next spell.

Grum decided that things weren’t going as well as he had hoped. The mummy was looking very hurt, but he was feeling woozy and his head felt like it was splitting open, though he hadn’t been hit there. He focused as best he could and held out his palm, a blaze of light erupting from it filling up the entire room with a bright white glow. The light struck his opponent, who staggered back, for the first time showing signs of injury, which wasn’t a surprising considering the spell he had just used.

Jackal, having had help from Malbi earlier, finally pushed the creature beyond its breaking point with a pair of slashes to along the body. It fell over with a thud.

Two rays of fire flew from Malbi’s finger and burned away Stock’s mummy’s head, throwing ashes and pieces all about around it. Stock took several swings at the creature at the same time and cut deep into his arm and torso, but the creature kept fighting.

Noticing Stock’s condition, Grum attempted to make his way toward Stock, but was caught by an attack from the mummy he was fighting. Feeling his injuries becoming fatal, he decided to heal himself. Casting his spell, he regained much of his composure. Stock would have to wait a few seconds.

Jackal, having dispatched his own opponent, closed to flank Stock’s enemy. A ray of flame from Malbi went wild over their heads as Stock felt Grum’s hand on his shoulder, Stock regaining feeling in his extremities and the faintness he was feeling subsiding.

Grum decided to go on the offensive and letting his blood boil, he called upon the favor of the battles he had fought in the past. Feeling the rage flowing through him, he tore into his enemy with his adamantine axe, crushing in his shoulder.

Now Stock, with Jackal’s help, and Grum’s healing making him feel much better, tore into his enemy. An arm fell off and he saw one of Jackal’s swords come out of the creature’s chest. Swinging, he separated the mummy’s torso from his lower half and it fell into its casket, unmoving.

Finally, as they finished him off, they saw Grum sweep the mummy handily with his axe and not only slice deep into its chest with a loud crack, but it flew back and slammed into the stone alter behind them, falling limply to the ground like a doll. Grum roared with excitement.

“Now that’s what I’m talking about!” he exclaimed. The others weren’t feeling so well, and as soon as the adrenaline went out of Grum’s system, he felt the effects as well.

“What were those?” Stock asked, kneeling against a wall. “I’ve fought mummies before, but they never restitched themselves, or… or did whatever those did when they touched me.

“I don’t know, but that’s not important. We need to search this place. There must be a secret passage or something around here.” Jackal brought the group back to work. He began searching around with Malbi while Stock kept lookout through the ajar door and Grum healed their wounds.

“Nothing!” Jackal was looking perturbed.

“Then we wait for someone to show up?” Malbi had also found nothing.

“There were some abandoned buildings across the street,” offered Stock.

“Wild goose chase,” Jackal muttered.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases