CB and MB on Ubuntu?

Scribble

First Post
Is anyone out there on enWorld running the character builder on Ubuntu?

I've read that Moonlight is the linux version of Silverlight... but not sure if it actually works?

:p

mcmillan

Adventurer
Moonlight can run some silverlight stuff, but it doesn't have all the all the features of the latest silverlight. Character builder hasn't ever worked for me, and never even bothered testing the monster builder. I haven't heard of anyone successfully running it either.

Scribble

First Post
Moonlight can run some silverlight stuff, but it doesn't have all the all the features of the latest silverlight. Character builder hasn't ever worked for me, and never even bothered testing the monster builder. I haven't heard of anyone successfully running it either.

Drat... Was thinking about giving Ubuntu a spin, but not if it means I can't do the stuff I wanna do. :p

mcmillan

Adventurer
You can run windows on a virtual machine, but you need to be able to install a full version of windows. One program I'm aware of is called VMware, there might be others as well.

You can also dual-boot, which is what I do since I only have the windows that came pre-installed and need it rarely enough that I don't mind rebooting (and if you're just getting started with linux, then dual-boot is probably a good idea just so you have a way to access your computer in case something on your linux system gets broken).

I use Kubunto 10.10 (need to upgrade to the latest, 11.04 , I think).

But...I tried running moonlight and I have it installed. It will let me get as far as the circle of dots with the percentage loaded on the CB. There it hangs, never resolving, so I gave up on that.

A SysAdmin at a local library recommend Virtual Box to me. I used apt-get to install it all, then bought a cheap copy of Windows XP. Using this method, I can do everything with the CB. Never tried the monster builder but it should work fine.

Some tips - since its emulation, obviously the faster your comp the better. I was running it with 2 gigs of RAM and TBH, it was a little bit slow. I went to 4 gigs and its much better. Going to try 8 gigs around tax refund time. I would give the Windows install about 50 megs or more for its install space. When you first install it, you're gonna go through its update process, service pack3 and all that so it will take awhile. I set mine up so that Linux and Windows share a common folder that I use to transfer files between. I didn't even try to setup USB or printer support. I'm very satisfied with it though, overall. Kept me from having to use Windows as main OS on a comp or dual-booting. I've got it nice and controlled, in its own little cage on my 'Nix box. :)

mudlock

First Post
I was going to say "be sure to file a bug report with the Moonlight authors," but it's been done.

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=684622

My guess is it's the same sort of problem they're having with Netflix: it's hard to get help from the developers of these websites so that the authors can get Moonlight to work with their (usually standards-in-compliant) DRM. Which means you need to convince WotC that it's in their interest to support Moonlight/unix. And good luck with THAT :(

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Well, that bug is set to RESOLVED so try again with the next release?
Is it? It says Status=NEW when I open the link above...

Anyway, I think the problem is Moonlight will always be a little behind on the feature curve. WotC is using Silverlight 4 in their applications and I don't think Moonlight is up to that level yet.

Remove ads