Pathfinder 1E Changes in rules since debut?

E

Elderbrain

Have there been any significant rules changes since the original Pathfinder books debuted, as occurred in D&D (3rd edition yielding to 3.5, and 4th to Essentials)? Or all the current books still 100% compatible with the original core books? I'm not a Pathfinder player, but am curious (As a "core D&D" fan, I found the changes made to 3rd and 4th edition annoying... save that sort of thing for whole new editions, rather than changing rules sets midstream, is my view. My beef isn't an issue with what was changed, per se, so much as the fact that changes were made, see?)

Last edited:

They haven't made any huge changes other than errata. And they incorporate errata into later printings of the books. Everything in the Core Rulebook is still 100% valid if you buy one today. Or don't buy one, as you can find everything in the OGL for free online. And everything Paizo produces that isn't directly tied to their campaign world is OGL.

However, they did release a book recently called "Pathfinder Unchained" which gives some alternate rules to use. Like the 3rd edition Unearthed Arcana, they are optional. The only exception is if you play Pathfinder Society, in which case, you must use the version of the Summoner class (which originally appeared in the Advanced Class Guide) from Pathfinder Unchained. Unchained also introduced an alternate Rogue, Monk, and Barbarian class, as well as new skill systems, which are optional. The new Rogue uses one of the new skill systems, so they are intertwined.

Pathfinder Society play also includes a few other changes you might not expect, but they are relatively minor. Certain feats and archetypes (like 2nd ed AD&D kits, if you are familiar with those) are banned in Society play.

Many of the Adventure Paths introduced new rules systems that add on to the Pathfinder ruleset, but they, too, are optional. Some of them are collected and revised in the Ultimate Campaign hardcover. These include the system of "down time", kingdom building, and a few other subsystems.

So far there has been no "Pathfinder 1.5" or "Pathfinder 2nd Edition" announced. The system has been out for a while, so collecting and becoming familiar with every part of it is a daunting task, but you don't have to use it all, as I'm sure you know.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
The assumption for every single PF product is that you are using the core rulebook.
Beside that every hardbook add lots of optional rules. Some of them, IMHO, are essential part of pathfinder and the game would not be the same without them (like archetypes and hero point). Still those don't make modifications to other things or have compatibility issues.

Pathfinder unchained is a good product, we started using some rules from that book that don't require lot of adaptation. Only minors addons in the character sheets.
Even the alternate classes are 100% compatibles with every previous option (if not, it is noted how to adapt).

Paizo puts a lot of work in compatibility, I believe organized play could be a reason.

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
There have been no material changes to Pathfinder's underlying rules or underlying assumptions of a significant nature. Action economy, combat, item construction costs, wealth by level -- all these things remain unchanged.

It is certainly true that archetypes have become the go-to flavoring and variants for classes over prestige classes; but the rules remain for both and neither changes the core mechanics of the game. (Generally speaking, archetypes are easier to check for play balance so they are preferred.)

Note: Hero Points have always been an optional system and while many groups do use them, it is still a solid minority of players who do so. Sometimes, we can project our own group or region's play preferences on the broader mass of players. I assure you, however, that the use of Hero Points during play by a group is the exception and not the rule. It is never assumed to be in use during development.

Pathfinder Unchained does change underlying rules in core classes, notably, Unchained Barbarians, Rogues and Monks. Those are class changes and not core rule changes, as such. They are fully backwards compatible. Any published adventure products by Paizo (to date) assumes Unchained is not in use, btw. I do not expect that this will change. It presents other optional rules that can be used or not. They are decidedly non-standard. My sense of it is that apart from the use of Unchained Barbarians, Rogues and Monks. the new rules are seeing limited and spotty use.

I am sure that at some point there will be a PF 2.0. But that does not appear to be anytime on the near horizon.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Note: Hero Points have always been an optional system and while many groups do use them, it is still a solid minority of players who do so. Sometimes, we can project our own group or region's play preferences on the broader mass of players. I assure you, however, that the use of Hero Points during play by a group is the exception and not the rule. It is never assumed to be in use during development.
Oh, I didn't see that way. You could be right. Where I live not much people enjoy the pleasure of roleplaying, so I have not much idea how other people plays, and I pretty much stick with the same players.

We are using the background skills, that don't require any modification, you only gain 2 skill point extra each level to use it in background skill (existent skills that are not used in adventuring). Also we use the new system for creating magic items. It is much fun that the normal system. Both are optional rules from the Unchained.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases