D&D General Character Advancement Poll

How do you generally do your character advancement planning?

• My entire build is planned out, and I almost never deviate from that as I level up

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Plan pretty well, only make different choices if something big happens in game

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • General plan, try to keep to it, but often change depending on in-game situations

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Basic plan, but mostly I make decisions based on what happened in the game to that point

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • Outside of chargen, no plan. I make that decision when it happens in game

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • other

Votes: 1 1.1%

Sacrosanct

Legend
Just like the poll says. In general, what sort of planning do you do for your character advancement?

For example, in my current campaign as a player, I'm playing a Rune Knight. The only plan I had for advancement beyond that was taking Crusher at 4 and Sentinel at level 6. By level 4, based on in-game scenarios, I started to lean towards Wisdom Resilient instead at level 6 (after being charmed and fighting my own party on two occasions).

But by level 5, I found myself fighting a whole lot of monsters resistant to non-magical weapons and there aren't really any magical weapons in game (none so far, and I doubt I'll find one that is a bludgeoning weapon like my hammer), so now I'm leaning towards magic initiate and going with shilleglagh

This happens a lot for me, where I only have a general build outline, but change that often based on what's been happening in the game. You?

aco175

Legend
I chose basic plan but open to changed in the game. Most of my table takes a class and sticks with it and hardly changes anything. A feat may be taken based or something based on the flow of the campaign, but not much. I'm not sure how much thought is placed in the 3rd level path at character creation.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases