Chi Strike!!! What is the point of this??

Skarnkai

First Post
I have only found 1 use for it.... using with an opponent's sig style to prevent extra losses.

Wicht you know the power to stop somethign is less than than to power to cause something right?

Phoenix8008

First Post
Actually, I thought that if you came up with a move that was YOUR fighters sig style, it would be useful to use it then so that the other fighter could not use a trick to undo the attack and make you waste your sig style attack if you manage to generate one. A Sash could still bribe the judges to undo the round after the fact, but a Yakuza or Dark path fighter could not use dirty trick to force a redo of the round. This is how I understand it though and may be incorrect.

Wicht

Hero
Skarnkai - you have obviously never fought a lot of people who used dirty trick to take away a beautiful generated move. Imagine you get a 3 point move and it is worded wonderfully. Now imagine as soon as you post it your opponent plays a dirty trick and the next move you generate is a stinker. Frustrating. Yep. Dirty trick is one of the nastiest things 47 ever came up with as far as player frustration. Chi strike is primarily to prevent dirty tricks at key moments.

Kalanyr

Explorer
That's correct, the problem is it enables them to save the trick for the next round. And it makes you go first which is bad in Strategy matches. In a lot of fights its a disabilty since it makes you go first for the heck of it. Its only real use is to stop an opponent getting multiple points when you draw one of their styles

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
hehe - you know I had never considered using Chi Strike to keep the other person fromadding on points when you draw their style. Thats the neat thing about strategy, people will find uses for things you never considered. I am pretty sure though that when you are facing many opponents possessing Dirty Trick, you will appreciate having the ability more.

For one thing if you use an ability and its dirty tricked you have lost the use of that one ability for the match (provided of course you only know it once). The whole point of the chi strike is you are hoping to either win or get far enough ahead inpoints with the move using chi strike that it will not matter what your opponent can do afterwards.

Kalanyr

Explorer
Chi Strike is actually a small disadvantage vs a Light Warrior of lower rank since you go frst and if you use FoF they can holy day it, not much better than DTing FoF though I guess 1 point or 2 if the light saved a mastery, 3 if they got an emotion mod and it requires serious thought.

graydoom

First Post
IMO, the fix for all of the problems with Holy Day is to make it so that you can only change the day to the style of your current move.

Kalanyr

Explorer
The following is solely in my opinion and I'm probably partially biased but:

I think Light is going to end up being weaker than Dark at the rate its getting clipped, holy warrior only beats unholy warrior because of immunity and weight and Dark does not have to beg for a style of match of their choice.

Also dark can at 3rd tier make 5 point strikes (rare admittedly)while light can only make 3 points , admittedly light can dodge an immunity once (mastery) at 3rd tier which is an edge but I'm beginning to wonder if it really stacks up so well against everything else.

At higher tiers Mind Thief is far superior to Right of Domain since Mind Thief grants immunities with each win. (the final score with both maxed out would be Dark 7 Sig Styles + 3 effective Locations vs 5 locations + 5 effective styles at 7th tier, Admittedly by using both Holy Day and a Purity of Focus (to stop Dirty Trick) the light could choose an immunity but thats burning a few abilities)

Also the sheer number of Honour followers makes me wonder about just how balanced honour is, it has the most followers of all paths at the moment.

All of the above is IMO and should be carefully considered before being accepted, or alternatively my opinion being what it is should be instantly rejected.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
Kalanyr said:
Chi Strike is actually a small disadvantage vs a Light Warrior of lower rank since you go frst and if you use FoF they can holy day it, not much better than DTing FoF though I guess 1 point or 2 if the light saved a mastery, 3 if they got an emotion mod and it requires serious thought.

Strategy! You gotta out think these problems. If you are playing a strategy match (which seems fairly popular at the moment) and you have chi strike fighting a lower ranked light warrior, here is what I would do. Use Chi Strike immediately with your best move, assuming you got one better. This puts the light warrior going constantly first. Chi strike may be a disadvantage against light warriors (and is of limited use against honor warriors) but that is because Vanor primarily designed it to be used against Dark and yakuza's dirty trick. But if you use chi strike before you use your fist of fury the light warrior can not use holy day to get an automatic win.

Use your powers to control the fight - thats what they are there for and chi strike gives you control if you use it right.

Remove ads