Combat in Age of Sigmar

Cubicle 7 has posted an update about Warhammer Age of Sigmar's combat system, and the three main combat traits: Melee, Accuracy, and Defense.

AoS_Marketing_Kurnoth-v-Nighthaunts-1.jpg

Melee (hand-to-hand) is derived from Body and Weapon skill. Accuracy (ranged) is derived from Mind and Ballistics skill. And Defence comes from Body and your Reflexes skill. You compare your Melee or your Accuracy to the target's Defence and that gives you your target number to hit.

There's also information on weapon traits and damage rating (armor soaks damage, and what's left reduces the taget's Toughness).

You can also charge, grapple, help, hide, dodge, and other things.

Cubicle 7's Dominic McDowall was on our podcast a couple of weeks ago, and he'll be back again this coming week to talk about Sigmar, Wrath & Glory, and Enemy Within.

atanakar

Hero
So, its a d6 dice pool system. Very different from WHFB. Very traditional design from what I've read so far. I'm curious about the starter set. I hope it's not too expensive. Anything over 30$ is a no go for me, even if it has a lot of material inside. A free basic starter PDF would be an alternative if the Starter set is expensive.

ddaley

Explorer
So, its a d6 dice pool system. Very different from WHFB. Very traditional design from what I've read so far. I'm curious about the starter set. I hope it's not too expensive. Anything over 30$ is a no go for me, even if it has a lot of material inside. A free basic starter PDF would be an alternative if the Starter set is expensive.

Is it a dice pool system, or do you simply roll a d6 to hit? From their site, it isn't clear "If you are evenly matched, say with a Good Melee versus a Good Defence, the difficulty to hit is 4. This means any result of 4 and up counts as a hit."

atanakar

Hero
Is it a dice pool system, or do you simply roll a d6 to hit? From their site, it isn't clear "If you are evenly matched, say with a Good Melee versus a Good Defence, the difficulty to hit is 4. This means any result of 4 and up counts as a hit."

From what I read you build a pool of dice based on your attribute and skill. Then you roll and determine how many successes you have. You can change the result of one die if you have a focus.

It's a dice pool system. The article itself has two links to previous articles about the Tests:

"To make a Test, you will assemble your pool of six-sided dice (d6s) and try to meet or exceed the Difficulty Number (DN) of the Test."

imagineGod

Legend
It would make sense if it just copied the Wrath and Glory dice pool since now Cubicle7 owns both that Warhammer 40K setting and this new fantasy role play setting.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It would make sense if it just copied the Wrath and Glory dice pool since now Cubicle7 owns both that Warhammer 40K setting and this new fantasy role play setting.
From what Dom said in our podcast, Sigmar is a much more heroic era and has a Rukeyser which reflects that over the more gritty rule sets of WFRP and 40K.

(C7 doesn’t own those setting by the way — they’re publishing under license).

atanakar

Hero
From what Dom said in our podcast, Sigmar is a much more heroic era and has a Rukeyser which reflects that over the more gritty rule sets of WFRP and 40K.

(C7 doesn’t own those setting by the way — they’re publishing under license).

That is what I was hoping for. I'm not a fan of the WHFB grim dark fantasy.

What is a Rukeyser?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases