Combat on a ship at sea... how?

thundershot

Adventurer
I'm having a problem with nautical encounters... how the heck do the monsters get aboard the ship to fight? I sent some Sahuagin (sp) to attack the ship, and the players reply "How'd they climb the ship without us noticing?" So the next time, I allow a spot check from a crew member, and they take out the creatures like fish in a barrel. I plan on having lots of ocean travel, and I want my encounters to be fun, not a pain.

Thanks
Chris

bowbe

First Post
Good question.

My suggestions:

Use night-time to your advantage

Use fog

Use creatures with clerics that cast obscuring mist and silence to assist their fellows getting on board.

Use a ship with port-holes and the like nearer the waterline.

Use other events as a distraction to keep the PCs and any NPC lookouts occupied while the submerged foes slink aboard.

shilsen

Adventurer
As long as the sahuagin aren't waiting in line to climb the sides of the ship, what's the problem? Let the PCs and others on the ship spot sahuagin climbing aboard. Now the choice for them is - which of the ten spots where sahuagin are climbing do I go to?

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Watch a bunch of pirate movies and take notes. Ships have anchors and ropes that are likely to provide an easy entrance to climbing creatures, and they can always use rope and grapples (giving them a Climb DC of 0 and the ability to take 10 and scale the side of the ship with an accelerated climb).

Ships at sea tend to rock, so it's they're unlikely to notice the boat pitching with the climber's weight unless its a really small boat. The ocean tends to make noise, so I'd give characters a penalty to listen checks. Spot checks are only really going to work for the guy in the crows nest and people standing by the appropriate railing.

You can even allow creatures with a swim speed to make jump checks out of the water, probably a running jump since swimming allows them something of a run-up. With a 60 ft. movement the sauhagin can get a +12 bonus to their running (swimming) Jump and clear a fair height. Taking 10 they have a fair chance of clearing 20 feet. Making a roll, they have a chance of getting even higher.

If your players are still complaining after all that, let the acquatic sahuagin trail them into the open ocean and dissable the ships rudder without coming to the surface. After that, they can let the crew starve of scuttle the hull at their leisure, all without coming up to draw breath. After they've had to swimg 20 miles back to land, fighting sahuagin the entire way, the players may be a little less chagrined by on-ship ambushes.

thundershot

Adventurer
Hmm.... how do people on a ship battle a Kraken? After all, it's mostly underwater.. and they're fighting tentacles.

Thanks again
Chris (lovin this)

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
A crew member would have to be leaning over the rail to see creatures emerging from the water...so, I would allow only certain crewman spotchecks--and even then I would let the creatures gain most of the climb before they could be spotted. There are very few reasons for a crewmember to be leaning over a side rail. Not to mention, I have enough problems with blindspots driving my Car...a three masted galleon is a whole other ball-o-wax. I don't really know the type of vessel you are using...but you get my drift.

Merkuri

Explorer
thundershot said:
Hmm.... how do people on a ship battle a Kraken? After all, it's mostly underwater.. and they're fighting tentacles.

Heh, watch the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie. :)

Edit: Seriously, both of those movies have a lot of good ideas for sea-going battles. If you're going to have a lot of water adventures you should watch both of them.

Last edited:

thundershot

Adventurer
I've seen the first one eleven times, and the second one twice now... it's getting things into D&D mechanics that becomes touchy... Keep it up though. This is a great thread for ideas!! :D

Chris

bowbe

First Post
Do you have any of the various sea-faring source books? Many of them have rules and conditions which deal with a lot of your problems and have been out long enough to be heavily discounted on amazon and other sites.

Case

Remove ads