5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
Oh, except that it's produce flames not control flames. I don't believe there even is a control flames spell in the 5E core rules. It doesn't even have pyrotechnics like most earlier editions.

Hold on, earth tremor and snare don't appear to be SRD spells either, at least a quick rummage through 5esrd.com can't find them.

I prefer to use spells that are easily accessible via online SRD sources, so I think we should exchange those for a couple of different ones.

Maybe one 1st and one 2nd-level spell, so it's even?

I like heat metal, moonbeam or pass without trace for the 2nd-level spell swap, and faerie fire or longstrider for the 1st-level spell.

Or maybe give it another "Dark Druidic Mystery" as the 1st-level spell swap? I'm undecided on how many of those it should get, but was thinking it shouldn't be more than half or a third its spellcaster level (i.e. 2 or the current 1).

If I could think of any non-druid 1st level spells I really wanted to give the Thane I'd go for that, but I couldn't come up with one.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Okay - just entering data for fircarl...we decided...it can't use shrieking wail...can it?

description...
"Fircarls are less adept pine kindred formed from bodies that were less than ideal, which has left them with weaker physical and magical capabilities"

Cleon

Legend
Okay - just entering data for fircarl...we decided...it can't use shrieking wail...can it?

description...
"Fircarls are less adept pine kindred formed from bodies that were less than ideal, which has left them with weaker physical and magical capabilities"

Yes, I cut out the Shrieking Wail, mostly just so the DM would have less to keep track of. Plus it's a huge wad of text that'd occupy half the Stat Block as they don't have much else going on.

We were leaving the Pine Kindred Descriptions until we've finished with the mechanics.

For the Fircarl's basic description how about:

Fircarls are lesser versions of regular pine kindred, weaker physically and with minimal magical abilities. They can be produced using the same grisly ritual that creates standard pine kindred, but its requirements are less stringent. A fircarl can be formed from a fleshly slain humanoid corpse, and its creation requires the infusion of less sap of Nidhogg than a full-blooded kindred.

Assuming we're sticking in some references to Norse myth!

Cleon

Legend
I have to go out soon and will be away for a while, so most likely won't be checking back here until about 18:00 to 20:00 GMT (so tomorrow morning over in Oz).

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
I have to go out soon and will be away for a while, so most likely won't be checking back here until about 18:00 to 20:00 GMT (so tomorrow morning over in Oz).
I am still chasing some of teh stats to tee up (been busy adulting for a bit this evening) - and also need to find images to be able to make them shareable in DNDbeyond. Also can't do much about some formatting as that is just how DnDbeyond does it. Going through now...

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
one labelled 'thane' better as 'jarl' I think...

Attachments

• pinekindredthrallportrait.png
    pinekindredthrallportrait.png
    426.5 KB · Views: 99
  • pinekindredthaneportrait.png
    pinekindredthaneportrait.png
    493.2 KB · Views: 122

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Still musing on 2nd level Circle too...but need to sleep - have aligned all monsters to date - but didn't we leave Jarl at CR4? Also 2nd lvl spell darkness* and first level spell shield* have added - more later

Cleon

Legend
Still musing on 2nd level Circle too...but need to sleep

You'd better get some sleep then!

When I saw your earlier Circle of Nightmares Draft with its "healing ichor" ability, it inspired an idea for a "2nd level Circle" ability for the Thane and Jarl.

Gift of Nidhogg. The pine kindred thane touches a creature and infuses its circulation with pine sap infused with necromantic venom. [Damages living creatures, heals and gives temporary hit points to undead, infuses sap into pine kindred during a pine kindred jarl's Kindred Initiation ritual. Details to be discussed.]

have aligned all monsters to date - but didn't we leave Jarl at CR4? Also 2nd lvl spell darkness* and first level spell shield* have added - more later

Yes, I just hadn't got around to updating the Jarl yet.

For the Jarl's Dark Druidic Mysteries spells I was tempted by animate dead* since it seems their schtick to make undead.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases