Pathfinder 1E Crowns of Ice - A Tale of Blood and Betrayal - Arvid's Song

Archon Basileus

First Post
GARMMÖRK/ARVID

"That is unfortunate, vinr, I'm starting to think them innocent. That is, they did attack and burn that ship, but it wasn't their will that controlled them. The priests talk about a healer from the south helping the poor. But some potions he offers weaken the will along with healing the sickness. He commands respect around Lavenders alley so it may be wise not to storm the place. But I would like your contacts in that part of the town to keep their ears to the wind. Are there any dead or wounded among your guards? Who and how many attacked them? Note that there might be some that will turn this against you, be extra vigilant in your duties and make Tyr and Forseti proud."

To Arvid’s concern, the Lawgiver confirms four injured men, as well as a pair of deceased ones. Whether it’s the result of other confrontations or another trick of the Lawgiver, Arvid cannot say. For all that is worth, the Lawgiver ignores the number of attackers as well, allegedly because of contradicting testimonies from his men. After the hard news, the Lawgiver says his goodbyes, a promise resting on his lips to use his resources and share his discoveries for the benefit of Grandael. In this particular case, he lies, and Arvid knows it.

That night and many others following, Garmmörk lurks around Lavender Alley, learning the ways of the healer and his companions, looking for secret places and entrances.

The task is demanding, but meticulous observation leads to solid results. Clearly, the complex does not receive all its movement from the surface. Sometimes, those who seek help spend days ‘under care’, supposedly never leaving the healer’s house. Nonetheless, Garmmörk recognizes and follows these men and women through the tortuous alleys of the southern city as they run errands, exchanging packs and harnessing information, above all concerning the eight fugitive brothers. After seeking for hidden ways out of the house, the beast uncovers a path leading to another two-store building, possibly opening to its basement. A second opening arrives at a concealed gallery by the northern bank of the river. The entrances are under constant, albeit subtle, watch, and as far as the beast suspects, they might have connections to other subterranean paths, leading outside the walls.

But what he was looking for was traces of blood, extra green grass in place where the blood was spilled.

Inside the powerful walls that surround Grandael’s Hill, the woods lay in silence as the predator roams. The refreshing shadows are visited by the perfume of pine trees during summer, and even in starry nights a thick fog serpents among the oaks. Trails cut the grass towards wall and coast alike, turning the lonely old road into a stern grey face that cuts the mountains as it marches into the continent.

For days, no signs are found. It becomes quite clear that, if the cultists are still present in Grandael, they have become far more cautious. In fact, after almost a week searching, Arvid locates a set of scattered ruins within a clearing. Traces of blood and signs of fight are recent, as Garmmörk is able to confirm during a nocturnal visit. Runes, scorched areas and stranger signs confirm the pair’s suspicions even further. It is just a matter of time until they use the area once more for their nefarious purposes…

It is not hard for him to find a spot to watch both the city and the surrounding woods, paying special attention to the ritual clearing he uncovered. An opening within the wall, several meters above the woods, allow him to spot movement and move down with great alacrity and precision. Should any entourage leave the walls and try for the ruins, he’d be able to intercept them soon after their arrival, right in the middle of their services. Such efficiency bears almost immediate results. The following night, no moon in the sky, he sees the fog reflecting the blur of torches spiraling and twisting from the walls towards the ruins. The lights are numerous, far more numerous than he’d imagined at first. Still, it is a rare opportunity, especially considering the subtlety and cautiousness the cult has exercised for the last weeks.

[Go down, call for help, take help with you beforehand, …?]

@Neurotic @tglassy @Fenris @Queenie

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
The beast climbs over the house and drops onto current courier the letter disappearing into the night even before the message landed. He trusts Ulm fully and he may not have much time to prepare his own ambush.

The beast move quickly toward the cult meeting place, noting places he would set the guards and looking how he could neutralize them without being noticed. He takes the position he deems safe to observe the proceedings. He observes the placement of the guards as he can and starts planning the order of disabling them.

OOC: couldn't keep constant help available, but there are steps taken. Close by, one person / beggar / child / 'lady' is paid to deliver message received with utmost speed to certain tavern. In the tavern, Ulm awaits the message with multi-pronged instructions.
1. Inform Lawgiver by giving his Guards a message - probably again with the and of a courier.
2. Bring some warriors from Einars house, those trusted by Arvid who pine under sedentary Jarl and want some action.
3. Get the priest and whatever following he can get in such short notice.

Bring them all as silently as possible close to the clearing, but far enough that guards cannot spot them. Priests and druids might help with this.

Once the guards are neutralized, come closer and again wait. This time much shorter time while Garmmork gets into position.

Last edited:

Archon Basileus

First Post
The cultists have given away their position all too easy. As Garmmörk arrives at the spot, he sees bonfires lit around the ruins, their lights barely reflected against the murky waters puddled amidst the ruined walls. No one would dare come near this old fortress these days, except this cursed lot. As the legend goes, a general used this place to try and seduce a skjaldmaer endeared by Sif herself. When she refused him, he decided to kill the maiden, along with her companions. Sif would have cursed the place, sinking it to the ground to hide the sad memories crowding its corridors.

A place of dread for the fated. And they’re used to it.

The guards won’t give in so easily. They stand upon the ruined walls, looking out for any movement, bows at hand, arrows ready. Their faces are covered, preventing anyone from recognizing them immediately. Inside the ring, others are equally concealed, covered in furs. They attend to a ritual, chanting in a strange language, following the words of the ring leaders. These, hands held high from large robes, daggers in their hands, glance at the grey waters, expectantly. In front of them, upon a half-column surrounded by filthy water, something agitates itself within a bundle of skins. Something small, something quite alive.
Several feet behind, the soldiers Arvid requested await. They lay low, keeping their silence and trying to avoid the guard’s attention. Immobile, they wait for a sign or a command.

Meanwhile, the chants reach high. Apotheosis seems at hand. As the ring leaders rise their voices, the murky waters before them break their mirror-like stillness. Soon, a figure emerges from within, followed by two more! Damsels, naked and pale, rise and stare at the officiants, followed by several others. Once they might have been divine in beauty, when their rosy cheeks and golden tresses were alive still, but now… The likeness of death has fallen upon them, taking their fairness and subverting it into a cruel memory!
The first one points at the bundle. The ring leader, face concealed, cuts the strings tying it, bands the head and retreats, revealing a child, it’s rosy skin struggling against the fresh air of the night.

“Accept our offering, oh, ladies whose beauty never fades! From the depths of your fortress, please, tell us of the secrets we seek! Tell us of the eight that eluded our grasp and of our scourge!”

The ladies smile, the remnant of their youthful beauty destroyed by rotten, yellowed teeth and cruel visages, like the gazes of hungry trolls or cruel giants.

“So be it” – they begin a slow march forward, to reach for the child!

[During the ritual, Garmmörk can issue commands, try to take down the soldiers, act normally, and so on… I've written all the description so the map would be explained right away. We can edit any happenstances if need be. Feel free to use the map, position the character in it, move the soldiers, etc. While you’re at it, please, go for a stealth test. Also, the image of the ladies brings dread to the heart. After their apparition, you have to succeed in a will test to continue your actions. :)]

MAP LINK

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q8fMnYQAgxGuym8Gfq3_6rwldZygKbR1VaTrG0iS8Ec/edit#gid=0

[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION]

Neurotic

OOC:
The map refuses access :)

Garmmörk wouldn't try to take down such obvious guards. He leaves the message for the soldiers, take out guards with bows once the commotion starts.

He will take whatever opportunity attacks are coming his way. If he thinks he can afford slowing down, roll acrobatics...he will use his climbing speed to get on the closest wall even if that means coming toward the guard - it is one opponent as opposed to the whole cult and others will not be able to climb after him so fast.

Final thoughts, I'm glad I bought Oil of Bless weapon :)

EDIT: I just re-read Lawgiver post. What do you mean, two dead?! Garmmörk used non-lethal throughout!

Seeing the bundle moving Garmmörk decides it is the intended sacrifice. At this it is irrelevant if it is a child, an animal or something else, it will disrupt the ritual. He tries to approach unnoticed while the cultists chant. He tenses ready to grab the bundle if the cultist leader raises a knife upon it. But he pauses, shivering for the moment once the women get out of the water. He runs forward, grabbing the child and pelting full out of the circle of the damned. As the howls of protests and curses arise behind him, the beast issues a wolf howl and arrows thud into the guards as the woods around the ruins come to life.

Will roll: 1D20+6 = [15]+6 = 21
Stealth: 1D20+10 = [10]+10 = 20
Stealth to approach the sacrifice: 1D20+10 = [15]+10 = 25

Last edited:

Archon Basileus

First Post
GARMMÖRK

The sly approach of the beast is not enough to keep it away from prying eyes as it takes the bundle and runs. A litany of curses and cries of “attack” follow, indeed, but it is the inhuman, high-pitched screams of the ladies in the water that freeze the heart of the feral warrior. He howls, calling out for the powers around, and he feels their faltering will before such monstrosities. A moment later, though, arrows fly from the trees, targeting the remaining guards and several cultists, as the foliage murmurs all around. The group is caught unawares, except for a couple of armed men, that decide to take cover as the area is under attack.

Garmmörk leaves the area in a rush, but as he looks over his shoulders he sees three of the naked figures in the lake moving their hands and lips, their eyes firmly locked on Garmmörk’s figure! As they do so, the others leap forward with tremendous speed, their hands clutching the air as claws, their cries turning to the blackness of nightmares! They go straight for Garmmörk, trying to claw his life away from him! Most of the strikes miss the creature, but the one of them targets it right in the middle of its back! The cut burns in a fever-like state as soon as the skin opens! [4 points of damage]

“You have profaned our resting place! Now you’ll JOIN US!” – the lady yells as she continues to fight.

[Ok, I’ll patch up access to the map and you can reposition character and NPC’s as you wish! So far, the cultists are flat-footed, and your aids are attacking openly. Two guards are not caught by surprise and find cover, and the ladies in the water are acting right now. I assume some of the guards will be down already, since Garmmörk decided to clean up the area and leave only the core to be attacked. Three of the ladies are still there, weaving a spell, purpose still unknown. EDIT: For some reason I can't share that map. :( It looked so nice and it's locked away for now. I'll try again later!]

[As for the lawgiver, well… He mentioned two dead. :) Did he lie? Did someone else kill the guys? I’ll leave these questions for you, hehe.]

@Neurotic [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Neurotic

"Yes, yes, doom upon us all." the beast murmurs to itself as it runs toward supporting guards. Knowing they might shoot at him if he comes at them at full run he chooses their outliers as the target. These appear to be Lawgivers soldiers, hopefully trustworthy. The wound burns, but if he slows down he will be overwhelmed. His only way out is darkness and the forest.

Before the allies can get a clear picture of him in the dark, he shouts well in advance
"I'm an ally, carrying saved sacrifice! Don't shoot at me, but at those following! Priests, we need you! Bless the weapons!"

OOC: still cannot edit. And given the position I'm not sure how he got the child, but luck and surprise are powerful tools. He's running toward N45, but yells well in advance.
I would put priests in the middle, not whole the way back, both for protection and range. Line of archers would help, but I guess each one can just drop a crossbow when melee threatens.

Neurotic

[MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION], I put Garmmork on the map (marked with A(rvid) since G marks the guards.

I marked his way toward the allies - assumed half move for move action (since he had to approach and take the child) and full move for standard. Second round after taking damage is full move (diagonal 4 and 5 the rest) shouting.

Archon Basileus

First Post
[you can arrange the pieces as you see fit, no problem! I only put them in disarray to represent a sudden arrival, but you would have had the time to prepare the surprise attack!]

A salve of arrows follow the running warrior as he shouts his words for the allied troops. The men take immediate action against the pursuers, advancing and filling the air with war cries! Five shots almost reach the beast, but all miss! Garmmörk is able to seek shelter amidst the trees before a second salve comes from the ruins. As for the soldiers, they run past the beast, seeking to destroy it's pursuers! The sound of metal clashing echoes through the dark protection of the canopies, loosing itself around!

[you can continue with your move. I'll let you organize the line as you prefer, and I'll update the map as follows! This might be a good way to recover the thread, by the way!]
[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION]

Neurotic

Garmmörk runs to the closest guards and pushes the child into hands of one of them.

"Take the baby and run back into town. Quick, but don't fall in the darkness. You can be heroes, saviors."
As two men stare at the beast, not sure if they should take the baby and run, run it through or pretend it never happened.
"GO!" the beast growls and atavistic fear of wolves takes over. The men disappear into the darkness with lots of noise. In opposition to them, the wolf looks across the line of helpers.

"Archers, get the guards on the wall first. After that pick anyone carrying a weapon, those closest to you first. Priests, there are undead apparitions, think on how you can protect as many as you can and conserve spells that can harm them. Guards, advance, remain under the cover of the trees and guard the priests. Everyone, forward!"
Without waiting anyone to take good look at the person giving advice, he melds into the tree disappearing from view.

OOC:
Moved people around, Arvid went to two men who afterward went back (yellow), I marked original fields of the people with color, but didn't bother to mark each with it's own, you'll have to trust that I counted 5 or 6 squares from the original position, remaining behind the trees.

Next round, he goes for the ring-leader assuming undead retreat.

[roll0] add two if darkness conceals him

Last edited:

Archon Basileus

First Post
As the priests begin their chants, the men follow, singing the sacred words in unison. The women hiss and cry, some of them retreating towards the murky waters, sinking once more with terrified gazes! Three of them stand still, though, elevating a broken chant into the night! They begin to slowly ascend from the waters, marching towards their enemies, breaking their will with a cacophony of strange, inhuman curses!

The leaders raise their voices as well, summoning obscure incantations through forbidden names and forgotten words!

[Ok, we're on! Initiative and war!]

ENEMY SOLDIERS - 20
ENEMY LEADERS - 14
LADIES IN THE LAKE - 15
ALLIED SOLDIERS - 22
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION]

Remove ads