(Cydra) Hatching Chaos

the Jester

Legend
All right, here we go!

Please put your character's actions in simple text (i.e. Lester draws his sword), spoken word in quotes (i.e. "Hello, my name is Jeremy."), thoughts in italics (i.e. Did that guy just turn into a bear??), and out of character stuff between asterisks (i.e. *Does Delga know anything about these weird flowers?*).

I think I'm going to trust you all to roll your own dice and stuff when called for; when combat occurs please roll your damage as if you hit, but separate out the damage types (i.e. *I roll a 14, hitting a total of AC 23... if that hits, I inflict 19 points of slashing and 4 fire damage.*)

the Jester

Legend
All right, folks- let’s set the scene.

It’s late spring of the year 369 O.L.G. You are all, for one reason or another, in the Bendrock Mountains of Dorhaus. Although not all of you are together to start with, you soon shall be...

Dorhaus is a continent of fairly large size. It is mostly uninhabited; about a century and a half ago, a terrible evil man (or demon, or devil, or... the tales vary) came to Dorhaus and essentially destroyed almost all the civilized folk. For a hundred years and more his fiendish lackeys went forth and slew all that was not evil, be it man, animal or plant. This foul servant of evil, called Fuligin, has since been cast down and destroyed, and now the people trickle back into Dorhaus. Two main groups, each perhaps too ambitious for their own good, seemingly seek to claim the entire continent! Naturally, they have fallen into conflict- and this conflict seems to mirror the Great War of Ethics that has exploded into violence nearly everywhere. The eastern half of Dorhaus is claimed by the Tiger Legions, servants of the Tiger Empress, while the western half serves God-King Malford the Magnificent. The Bendrock Mountains serve to divide the continent in half, and it is in these mountains that you all, for one reason or another, find yourselves.

Derrick and Keyth are on the trail of magic. Just as any wizard would, they are seeking the assistance of a great wizard in the vicinity, hoping to obtain new magic formulae of great power. The wizard’s name is Orbius Visionary, and he is reputed to be a fabulously powerful divine oracle. Talk about finding out that he’s in the right place at the right time!

Neither of you are a resident of Dorhaus, nor would you usually expect to find yourself there. But in the course of your studies of dimensional and planar phenomena you have discovered an odd flux taking place in the mountains. Although you and the other spellcasters at the university you are from (in the Delphinate, a magocracy that is not known for its friendliness to outsiders) were able to detect the flux, from the far distance you were at you couldn’t determine much about it. Thus, you have come to investigate, driven both by a strong curiosity and a sense of pride that was invoked in you by the fact that your peers would trust the two of you to investigate this matter. You’ve heard of this Orbius before, of course, and have heard that he resides in the mountains in a fairly hidden enclave of elementalists- the Temple of Elemental Good. You’ve managed to find your way there with the aid of the supply caravan that typically takes the Temple its food and miscellany.

The Temple itself is actually a complex hidden away in the mountains, with a fair number of people bustling around, growing meager amounts of food, herding a few chickens and goats, and worshipping their silly elemental powers that don’t care about their worshipers. Why they bother, you don’t really understand, but whatever; a powerful wizard is hereabouts.

Your inquiries have led you to believe that Orbius, along with the actual head of the Temple, Lester, have gone on a short jaunt to a nearby mountaintop to check something out with one of the students of the L’s school of adventure, but I’m sure that a pair of wizards of your caliber has some way to get up a mountain.

And, coincidentally enough, this seems to be right about where the flux is centered.

Big Yin is, in fact, the student in question.

His time at the Angel of Adventure’s school for adventurers has been good. You’ve picked up some basic great advice; the basic mantra is, “Call for healing when you need it; never split the party; clean out one level and move on.”

Great advice.

You’ve had your years of adventure, and indeed, on several of those adventures you’d have benefited from that advice. Done’s done, however, and what’s yet to come is what can be effected by what you’ve learned.

And the chance to show Lester himself something is a thrill!

For, in your explorations, you caught a strange scent last night. Maybe a man who couldn’t turn into a bear would have missed the smell last night, maybe not; but not it’s much stronger. Like a cross between cooking eggs and heated copper.

You’ve led Lester and Orbius up one of the mountains around the school for adventurers and now you’re close enough to perceive the crevice that you saw last night. And, just like last night, there’s a strange orange vapor seeping from the crevice.

Lester and Orbius follow Big Yin; he’s very excited to show them whatever oddity he’s found, and the smell in the air is definitely different from anything you’ve detected before. The vapors coming from the gouge in the mountain ahead are also unlike anything you’ve ever seen.

The gash in the mountain is just big enough for you to squeeze through. It seems to lead into the interior of the mountain.

Kaerick spotted the vapors in the evening of the last night, and with his friend Delga- the two of them have known each other, crossing paths in the wilds of Dorhaus, for a good three years- he has set out to investigate. The weird smells, strange orange vapors and such- they rub you both wrong. Something seems unnatural in that.

The druids have given the feral Kaerick a lot of help over the last few years, and the fey folk seem to be acting up in strange ways, growing more trees to help the continent recover from its deforestation and choking former paths with weeds and brambles. They seem to see you as a potent ally against the remnant evil forces that throw Dorhaus so far out of balance.

Indeed, if you were to ask Delga and he were to answer true, you would find that this is exactly the case. You epitomize what the druids need now: the vicious side of nature, the unforgiving tiger that has no mercy on its prey, the wolf that tears at its enemy.

Delga is somewhat more concerned about the orange vapors and weird smell than his feral friend. As a somewhat senior druid in the area, you are obligated to investigate strange occurrences like this. You are also privy to more information about the druidic-fey master plan, but we’ll discuss that should it come up.

In any event, the two of you are also ascending this mountain.

The egg is hatching.

It is probably not the only one, Giovanni reflects; you’re pretty sure that there are more.

The Egg of Chaos is a lumpy piece of something that looks like stone, but isn’t. It weighs as much as stone and is at least as tough as stone, but it’s something else. Strange, barnacle-like encrustations dot its surface, giving off a tangy orange smoke with an odor that, while at first somewhat offensive, rapidly became just this side of intoxicating.

Suddenly there’s a cracking sound, and the egg seems to shift slightly visibly.

“Oh good,” says the rosebush at your side. “I was getting bored.”

The ghost of Jeremy gazes around with a snarl on his face. You’re pretty sure you got them all- every last one of the Bleakists in the little camp, getting ready to raid the little hidden temple in the seam of the mountain chain below. You aren’t sure what gods they worship here, but you haven’t seen any signs of human sacrifice, tortured commoners or bloody altars, and for now that’s good enough for you. You’re beginning to allow yourself to hope that this is the temple you’re seeking.

You spend a good deal of time in the border ethereal; it’s mentally fatiguing to stay manifested all the time. But the last few hours you’ve noticed that the ether has been full of eddies and whirls, disturbances. The trails lead up the mountain upon which you defeated your latest crew of Bleak-worshipers.

Your thoughts turn to the day, so long ago, when the raiders came and slew most of your people. You recall following the cold trail as best you could until you almost gave up in despair, and the adventurers who almost destroyed you, thinking you evil.

And they gave you new hope, for they recognized the description of the symbols that some of the raiders wore: they were servants of the Temple of Elemental Evil, a place of such unspeakable horrors that you could learn very little about it.

And yet the Temple is overthrown, and your folk remain missing. Even following the trail to the ruins of the Temple itself has failed to turn up the fate of your villagers.

So you set out to find the heroes that destroyed the Temple, and so you have come to the mountains in search of a hidden Temple of Elemental Good. Now you have found the mountains, and a mysterious hidden temple, and weird eddies in the ether.

Something seems propitious.

Drakknyte32

First Post
With one final look around to ensure their were no more bleakists Jeremy sighed and sat down on the ethereal image of a rock. When he was caught up in a fight he gave little thought to what he did but after it was over he was always glad he was unable to throw up. It was always sickening to see the carnage of a battle and it was even more sickening when he remembered he caused it.

They deserved it. He thought, gathering his wits about him. These were the people who had destroyed his village, and were about to do the same to the temple below him. Save your pity for the ones they killed.

With that Jeremy manifested once more and set to work. It was always best to prepare the dead so they wouldn't rise again. And it was doubly so when they were slain by negative energy. Jeremy himself was a kind soul despite being undead but his travels had already shown him that creatures such as he were despairingly rare.

Jeremy could no longer touch the material world but he had other ways to work. Using his telekinesis he stripped the bleakists of there equipment and laid them in a row. Then he covered them with dirt and invoked a prayer to Dexter, asking that the souls travel to the afterlife and the bodies return to the earth. It was not much but without access to holy water or consecrated ground it would have to do. The equipment the bodies carried was easier to deal with. Having no use for material objects Jeremy dumped it in a pile and left it there. Sooner or later some lucky goatherd or pilgrem would come along and take it away.

Finished with his distractions Jeremy returned to the reason he came here for. He had been searching for a temple and he had found one, now he just needed to see if he had found the right one. Floating down to the temple in the ethereal he manifested behind one of the priests working outside.

"Excuse me sir. Is this purchance the temple of elemental good?"

JDragon

Explorer
Watching the egg, Giovanni takes several steps back and the looks for a place to sit and watch. "Yes this should be interesting, do you have any idea what it may be?"

After finding a seat Giovanni prays for the protection of Carella and calls forth the power from himself to provide Sanctuary from any that would harm him.

Last edited:

Moving up the mountain with Big Yin

"Slow down, Big Yin, just wait for us! Running off on your own is always a bust!", shouts Lester, our Angel of Adventure. He flaps his rainbow-colored, angelic wings a bit faster to try to catch up to his adventure-lusting student.

Man, I remember those days of charging ahead without ever looking back to see who I left in my dust!, thinks Lester. I've got to make sure though that I remind all of my Students to stick together, and never tie the person in the lead to a rope. That goes double if you are a gnome. No gnome-on-a-rope tricks at my school!

Lester, chimes in Orbius over their permanent mental link, try to remind me to check up on our old friends - Angel, Sybele, Thrush, Horbin, et al. I need to divine their success in Bile Mountain. Also, we need to repair the leaking roof in the Water Temple, as ironic as that sounds, and make sure that . . .

"Look ahead at that crazy orange smoke!," shouts Lester. "Its coming right outta that crack and it ain't no joke!"

Lester and Orbius drop to the ground and begin casting their wards. Lester casts a Fire Shield, Foresight, and Pass through Earth & Stone. Orbius casts Extended Ultimate Concentration, Piercing Clarity, Detect Evil, Detect Thoughts, and opens up a Mobile Scry.

"Stick close to me, Big Yin!", shouts Lester as he moves in. "As close to me as if I was your best friend!"

Orbius begins directing his Mobile Scry after them, but is interupted by the sound of screaming . . . and its coming from the Temple! He quickly redirects the scry sensor and teleports away to the Temple grounds.

"Back, ye foul spirit!", commands Orbius, now looking Jeremy eye to ghostly eye. "State your business as we have no room for evil phantoms at the Temple of Elemental Good! Say, is that a holy symbol of Dexter you wear?"

Last edited:

I highly doubt this is a coincidence, Keyth thinks to himself as he ascends the hill atop his phantom steed, From the stories I've heard of the L, he should be able to handle himself fairly well so I know needn't worry too much, although I am quite curious as to what is causing this strange disturbance.

The dimensionalist runs through his valences, making sure that he is prepared for trouble-just in case. Satisfied, he breathes the night air in deep as he continues his trek ontop of the mountain.

Ferrix

Explorer
Kaerick is moving quickly and softly ahead of Delga, preferring the silence of his own footfalls to the posed huffing of the rotund druid. I shouldn't leave him too far behind, he thinks as he ducks out and around from a rock outcropping disappearing again from the druids sight.

The intoxicating orange smoke hits Lester the instant he steps into the mouth of the cave. His eyes widen and a giggle inadvertently escapes his lips. Oh boy, he thinks, this smoke sure agrees with me! I haven't felt this good since my last trip to Faerie Land.

He turns around to Big Yin who is still behind him and smiles at him in a drunken loving way. Oh, my first really cool student, thinks the L, and I don't think I've ever told him how I feel about him.

"Big Yin, I have something to tell you and if it sounds strange, I don't care! I love you, dude, whether you are a big smelly human, or a big smelly bear. And for your hard work at the school I must say true . . . that I shall knight you a Friend of Adventurers, a title that is given to very few. And as a reward, just in case of an emergency, I will have Orbius bestow upon you a mighty contingecy! Mine's a teleport, and though I don't know what yours will be . . . the command words are always the same: Lester save me!"

An awkward hug follows and Lester stick his head into the cave and inhales deeply.

*What does Lester see in the cave?*

Last edited:

Remove ads