D&D Multimedia Poll - What Else Should Wizards Do?

What Else Should WotC Do?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Since WotC is trying to expand (or revisit) the D&D brand into other media, what do you think they should do?

Edit: Yes, they are already doing some of this.

Last edited:

exile

First Post
Saturday morning cartoon would be great. I'd love something similar in quality to Young Justice.

A 3rd person, turn based RPG would be great. Does anyone even make these any more?

Print magazines would be a huge win.

Really, I think they should focus o. Making the best RPG they can, producing great adventures, and running a fun OP campaign.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Baldur's Gate was a formative experience for many, if not most of the gamers I've met. Neverminter Nights was okay, but not on that level. Not much around since then. A really good D&D cRPG with modern technology would probably be the single best thing that they could do.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Specifically:
- More comics (again by IDW, maybe?) and still cartoons online. The cartoons they ran during the playtest were fun.
- Broadway musical if they can. If "The Producers" can succeed, and "Brigadoon" can succeed, and "Big River" can succeed, then there has to be a way to insert fantasy roleplaying into the same slot somehow.
- More boardgames. "Lords of Waterdeep" did very well, and hit the top of the App list for Apple devices. Don't let that be a "One-And-Done" effort.
- Branded merchandise. Maybe wait on this until the movie and the musical and the boardgames have all become hits, then decide on what to put out there. "Secomber the Lunchbucket" might not sell well, but I'd bet there are other ideas that would.
- "The Crystal Shard" ice-skating review. You might laugh now, but somebody out there could make that work.
- "The Vampire Janitor" sweepstakes. (three; two; one; . . . ;))

Starfox

Hero
The problem with licenses is that the licensee usually has no way to control over the finished product. It is just a lottery of the licensed DnD game/movie/novel is good or not. And as a Star Wars author is rumored to have been told when sacked "We have a license. The quality of our product doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is how well the movies do". This attitude is really dangerous and demolishes the value of a brand. But it seems to be very hard to get around.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
A live action television series based on Dragonlance, the Drizzt novels, or another relatively long running novel series. Make it a competitor for Game of Thrones, but give it a broader appeal (i.e. a little more family friendly).

delericho

Legend
A new movie would be good. A new cartoon would be better.

Beyond that, they should probably stick with some variation on 'game' - board games, video games, card games, etc.

"That doesn't suck" should really go without saying, regardless of what they do. :)

Bluenose

Adventurer
Baldur's Gate was a formative experience for many, if not most of the gamers I've met. Neverminter Nights was okay, but not on that level. Not much around since then. A really good D&D cRPG with modern technology would probably be the single best thing that they could do.

Get onto Facebook in a big way. The way Marvel has done with Avenger's Alliance and it's Tactics offshoot. Either of those provide a workable model for a D&D adventure, with a series of encounters leading up to clashes with a Boss. Use some of the "iconic" D&D characters in place of superheroes and villains instead of the Marvel equivalents. It'll be microtransaction heavy, even if those aren't necessary to play and enjoy. That seems far more likely to succeed than taking on cRPG heavyweights at their own game, or coming out with something second-rate to detract from the brand.

For me, I'll suggest a comic book series. The recent D&D comic was a good read, or there's something like Image's new Rat Queens comic, as close to D&D as you can get without using the name.

Remove ads