D&D 5E D&D next playtest info ( with video)

Ok... so thoughts so far ?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nagfmipR_XI]D&D next playtest - YouTube[/ame]

Saving Throws are reactive Stat Checks
Stats are mostly 1-20, with higher being possible.
Movement is talked about in feet rather than squares
You can move before and after combat.
Coup de Grace is an attack, if successful it drops them to 0HP, or to death if they were at o HP.
Improvise in combat (left up to GM)
1 auto miss, 20 auto hit deals max damage
At 0HP you are dying, make death saving throws once a round DC 10 or take 1D6 damage
Need to succeed 3 of these to stabalize
Armor is +Dex for light armor, and +1/2 Dex for heavier armor
Disadvantage when using armor to be silent
Weapon damage seems to be what I expect variable damage to be.
You can cast spells out of combat.
Cantrips or Orisons at will
Vancian magic, & rituals
Turn Undead as a spell
Cure light wounds `1D8+ magic stat
Spells seem flexible and are straight forward
More power to the GMs
Contests are stat checks vs stat checks highest wins
Flexible set of guidlines not a rigid set of laws
GMs can give a check an advantage or disavantage based on circumstances
A section on ignoring the dice
Perception checks are Wisdom checks
Roll playing and role-playing are discussed.

dislikes /Not sure:

Advantage/Disadvantage 2D20 take highest or lowest
If you have advantage & disadvantage they cancel each other out.
Shooting into combat puts you at disadvantage
Hit Points are inflated: 1st Con + Dice Roll, con mod or dice roll for additional levels
Individual initiative
Dead at negative con + level
Short Rest - not sure how this works, but it sounds like a Conan break after he was badly injured, healing surge?
Long Rest get all your hit points back
Spell attacks with Int or Wis (depending on your class)

Ok... so thoughts so far ?

Shooting into combat puts you at disadvantage
Hit Points are inflated: 1st Con + Dice Roll, con mod or dice roll for additional levels

point 1: as i read it, it is shooting with someone next to you puts you at disadvantage (instead of beeing opportunity attacked)

point 2: hit points are not really inflated: rather the opposite: com mod + hd with no modifier is not so high. Especially if you consider that the to hit bonus is higher than in 3rd edition and ac rather lower. (Maybe AC of plate is 1 point to low if you ask me)

hd or con modifier actually is rather elegant. You don´t inflate, but someone with a high modifier recovers faster and can´t roll a very small number of hp. Maybe this should be raised to twice its con modifier or con modifier +1 so you notice an effect from con 12 instead of 14. But overall, i like it.

Arytiss

First Post
point 1: as i read it, it is shooting with someone next to you puts you at disadvantage (instead of beeing opportunity attacked)

Not quite. Making a ranged attack while in melee range of an enemy causes you to be at a disadvantage for the attack. Mostly due to it being hard to aim while dodging attacks.

Wasn´t it what i said?

Ah, ok. Melee range of the enemy can be farther than beeing next to you. But that is what i meant. It is not shooting into melee though that puts you at disadvantage.

Though I could see it working that way:

Shooting into melee puts you at disadvantage, especially when a creature is covered by a different creature. If you miss by the amount of cover, you look at the other die and if it would be a hit against the covering creature, you deal damage to the cover instead.

nnms

First Post
[MENTION=6674798]wellsmv[/MENTION] - I think your video might have convinced me to take a closer look at the Pathfinder Beginner Box.

I'm not that interested in the full 3.x/PF rules set, so I never took a close look at the beginner box. If it already does everything D&D Next is doing and is a finished product put out by people who seem to be real pros at game and adventure design, then maybe it deserves a second look.

Remove ads