RPG Evolution - D&D Tactics: Hikes

I go on a lot of Boy Scout hikes. If I were in an adventuring party in a fantasy world, I'd never make it.

princess-4395983_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Our hikes average anywhere from a half hour to several hours, depending on the terrain and season. We have one Scoutmaster who could easily qualify as a ranger, but for the rest of us, real life challenges make it clear that out-of-shape wizards are going to be in trouble if they have to walk to their next destination.

Weather Matters​

For obvious reasons, walking in the snow can be tough. We avoid hiking in winter, but we have hiked in Spring and Fall through rocky terrain. The toughest terrain we've encountered if after a recent rain with leaves on the ground. The combination makes it difficult to see a clear path (if there even is one). We've gotten lost in places we've hiked previously just because leaves covered everything. Wet leaves also make the ground slippery. More than one Scout has plunged their foot into an unseen puddle or slipped on a rock.

Adventurers in this sort of terrain will likely have challenges tracking, finding a path, and even just moving through it. This is one of the reasons I started using a walking stick, if only to test how to proceed. Characters familiar with the outdoors (barbarians, druids, ranger) will have an easier time of it than those who are unaccustomed to being outside the confines of their hometown.

Hikes Are Exhausting​

When the weather's nice, I try to walk every day in my neighborhood and when it's not I run on my treadmill. In both cases, the terrain is flat enough that I can turn off my brain. Not so when hiking, which requires constant vigilance as you determine your next step, avoid blundering into branches, and try to spot the path forward.

In unfamiliar terrain, a hike is not merely something you do while you do something else. Characters who want to perform most skills in difficult terrain will find it nearly impossible. Except maybe for singing, so the bards have something to do (the Scouts won't let me though for good reason).

Natural Hazards​

The outdoors can be beautiful but it isn't ordered to make life easier for anyone to pass through it. Woods are filled with dead branches and fallen trees that will have to be circumnavigated. The aforementioned leaves make everything slippery and conceal holes that can trip you up. And there is wildlife that can react poorly to intrusions -- my son was stung by a hornet just walking up rocky steps near a castle.

Characters who are uncoordinated or unaccustomed to traveling outdoors may well take damage just by trying to make their way, or end up exhausted in the process.

Leave No Trace​

In Scouts, we encourage the philosophy of "leave not trace," which means you leave the terrain how it was when you arrived. That means no picking up sticks or feathers or rocks to take with you. It also means essentially covering your tracks.

Cityfolk unaccustomed to the outdoors may be surprised how visible their blundering is to beasts and trackers. When cover your tracks, getting the wizard to stop leaving crumbs behind is as important as leaving fewer footprints.

Avoiding the Long Hike​

The modern solution to these challenges is to just take a car or walk on a paved road. In fantasy campaigns, there are rarely equivalents, but magic provides some solutions.

Find the path eliminates a lot of the guesswork of trying to find the easiest route through rough terrain (a bit like spotting trail markers even when there are none). And freedom of movement is like walking on a flat road. But the most magically economical solution is probably the fly spell. Flying over a forest is a significant advantage, and species with natural flight can get places much faster than their grounded companions.

Your Turn: How has your real life hiking experience influenced traveled in your games?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

MGibster

Legend
However, IMO it is poor game design to basically ignore one of the "three pillers" of the game and pretend its not important or impacts on how the game can be played. Keeping track of time has always been an important aspect of D&D, especially for the DM, for many and can impact on many aspects of the adventure.
For the most part, I've always glossed over travel in most RPGs unless travel was part and parcel of the adventure. And for the purposes of this thread, when I say travel, I mean an extended period of moving from point A to point B rather than half a day's walk to a dungeon or something. As has been mentioned, magic and special abilities kind of makes long term travel rather pointless and hazards become trvially easy to avoid.

I'm about to start a Cyberpunk Red campaign and I'm adapting Land of the Free from the 90s edition of the game. The whole point of that campaign is to travel from the east coast of the United States all the way to the west coat. It's probably going to be the first campaign that centers around getting from point A to point B that I've ever run. (There will likely be very little hiking in it though.)

Mad_Jack

Legend
Especially since I wasn't expecting to see a moose in CT since they're not native to the state. (Although apparently there's been a native population established in the past twenty years or so.)

Well, that's a hell of a coincidence, lol - there was an article just published about a moose caught in a fence over on the other side of the state. Apparently the state Dept. of Energy and Environmental Protection has issued a general warning to be on the lookout for moose on the loose over the next month or so.

Thomas Shey

Legend
For the most part, I've always glossed over travel in most RPGs unless travel was part and parcel of the adventure. And for the purposes of this thread, when I say travel, I mean an extended period of moving from point A to point B rather than half a day's walk to a dungeon or something. As has been mentioned, magic and special abilities kind of makes long term travel rather pointless and hazards become trvially easy to avoid.

I don't mean this in any critical fashion, but that's an artifact of the games you've played I suspect. Very few post-apocalypse games trivialize travel, for example, and even a number of low fantasy games don't (the magic can help a little but only a little, and if there's special abilities they just put a thumb on the scale).

I'm about to start a Cyberpunk Red campaign and I'm adapting Land of the Free from the 90s edition of the game. The whole point of that campaign is to travel from the east coast of the United States all the way to the west coat. It's probably going to be the first campaign that centers around getting from point A to point B that I've ever run. (There will likely be very little hiking in it though.)

Well, modern or near-future non post-apoc games have too much transport technology for that to normally be an issue. In something like CPR, its more an issue of dealing with the human elements along the way...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
For most of the wildlife around here, when you encounter one the easiest thing to do is, stand still for a second to let it look at you, look back at it, then just casually go back to doing whatever you were doing. Usually, it'll just wander off.
Bear sightings in CT have become more common in the past two decades. Most of them seem to be fairly acclimated to humans, and the majority of them wandered off when someone raised their voice at them. I remember being told as a kid that you never interrupt a bear when it's eating or has its cubs with it, but otherwise making loud noises from a distance tends to drive them off.

I've encountered three different black bears over the years, and none of them were particularly frightening. On the other hand, I remember being out in the woods once during the winter, and coming face to face with a <bleep>ing bull moose... :oops:
I was on a trail, and it just stepped out in front of me about twenty feet away. Now that was scary - you don't really understand how big those things are until you see one in person.
Especially since I wasn't expecting to see a moose in CT since they're not native to the state. (Although apparently there's been a native population established in the past twenty years or so.)
Yeah, I've run into a lot of black bears, including ones with cubs. They'll let you know what they want, if you pay attention. You just better give 'em what they want. I'll tip my hat to the Alaskans that grizzlies are a whole different story, though.

I've also run into bobcats, seen cougars (there's a difference between seeing a cougar and running into one...) and the only thing that's ever attacked me was a crow.

MGibster

Legend
I don't mean this in any critical fashion, but that's an artifact of the games you've played I suspect. Very few post-apocalypse games trivialize travel, for example, and even a number of low fantasy games don't (the magic can help a little but only a little, and if there's special abilities they just put a thumb on the scale).
Oh, that's fair. But this thread is titled D&D Tactics: Hikes, so any comments I make are about 5th edition unless otherwise specified.

For many people, complexity takes away from the fun, it does not add to it.

I too have been playing that long, and I'm happy to handwave what can be, but rarely is, a fun part of the game at our tables.

The thing is @Vincent55 & @Stormdale, given all the rule sub-systems for wilderness travel that are available from so many decades of RPGs, it is very easy for DMs who want to add complexity to do so. But I think, as evidenced by the massive growth of 5E, that the designers got it right with this edition.

Crazy enough, that's not the case. I couldn't find the statistics I was looking for, but I feel strongly it is safe to say that most people never "hike" outside of a city or town park. And of those that do, the majority of them do so in a national park on a groomed trail. Very few people do what I would call orienteering; going off trail and finding your own way across country.

A possibly interesting related story: years ago I was flying from Phoenix to Charlotte, the young woman next to me had just graduated college. We got to talking, she had never been out of the neighborhood she grew up in (south Phoenix) and the university campus (ASU), and was going to visit her college roommate in Charlotte. ~ 23 years old, up to this point her world consisted of about 15 square miles, all urban.

Who said the chickens lost the encounters with the bears? G
South Phoenix is not all urban. South Mountain Park is ridiculously huge, and is basically wilderness once you get a short way away from the parking lots...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases