Dark Sun 5e, A minimalist conversion. (full) [OC]

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I've always wanted to try a Cannibal Halfling (Probably as a Monk or a Fighter), but I've never done a PbP before, and my knowledge of the setting is a bit second-hand.

The GMBinder link in the first post (open in chrome) has a good set of fluff for the world. Halflings dwell in some of the world's few forest areas, but many end up as slave gladiators. PbB is a fun format. normally post an action for your character at least every other day, possibly more often if your role-playing with another character. use and on-line dice roller, and put the link in your post. I'm sure you will get the hang of it.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Sounds fun.
Question about Haflings having the Savage Attack Feature: That means they don't get to pick a subrace?

A newly captured slave Hafling Monk gladiator, not quite broken in yet, but cut off from any kind of support they previously had has a nice ring to it.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
I like that list.

Quick question. Should I choose one of the 1/day spells, could I copy that spell into my spell book and cast it with a regular slot? Or would I treat it as the Wild Talent that it is and it's just something I can do?

I'm assuming it's just a skill I have, and I can't put it in my spell book, because if I could, then I could cast some of these as a Ritual. That's turning a normally 1/day ability into an all day every day ability. So unless you say I CAN put it in my spell book, then I'll assume not.

That said, I was looking over the options, and while it is not the most optimized choice (in fact, it is in fact the LEAST optimized choice) the chance for flavor and uniqueness is too good. I think I'm going to take Speak With Animals. Actually, what I'm going to do is RP that my character's Wild talent is an affinity with Languages, which first manifested as the ability to speak with animals. The Linguist Feat is showing how he picked up languages easily during his travels as a slave. It was this that attracted his Mentor, an female Elvish slave, who taught him Cyphers and how to read and how to keep a spell book. I'm making a custom background that is basically Sage with a twist, and has to do with him being a Secret Wizard's Apprentice. Proficiency in Stealth and Arcana, and a language and Alchemist Supplies (Obviously I don't have them now.) I need to think up a decent Feature for that, though.

Speak With Animals is a Ritual Spell that isn't on the Wizard's spell list, so I understand if I can't have it in my spell book. That said, it won't exactly break anything if I did. I don't even know if there are many animals to talk to, other than my familiar. Which is a Hawk, by the way. Because reasons.

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
custom backgrounds are just fine, and likely fit better than the standard ones.

tglassy
the wild talent can't be used as a ritual or taken as a spell slot.

Dark sun has huge numbers of animals - but 75% of them are insect or reptile based.
What was your main task as a slave? your intelligence was likely noticed or you may have been tasked with taking care of animals - some household animals follow:

Erdu - ostrich-like, mostly treated as heard animals.
Crodlu - bipedal lizards, used as mounts some trained for war.
Inix: lizards 16', used as mounts and oxen
Kank - riding ants, some trained for War
Melkillots - massive beetles, used for hauling, difficult to control.

Leatherhead -
the gladiator sounds good. Lightfoot does not fit in darksun. Savage attacks replaces Lucky.
rerolling ones means your bone/wood/obsidian weapons would never break.
the darksun variant should get +2 dex, +1 wis. either subrace ability could work for them. pick your fav.

Monks in Darksun are a type of psionic gladiator - picking a combat wild talent would reinforce the role.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
I like that idea. I was some kind of animal keeper or stable boy.

I’ll switch a few things up. I’ll do Sleight of Hand and Animal Handling for my background, and Deception for my Racial Skill. Then Arcana and Investigation for my Wizard skills. And I’ll take proficiency in Land Vehicles and an extra language for my background as well. I figure Land Vehicles are wagons and the like, and if I was a stable boy or something similar, I should be able to do that.

Besides, alchemist supplies are expensive.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Informal sheets are easier to make changes too, ill post a rogues gallery thread and characters are easier to up date if just in normal text.

You will be leaving the city state of Urik governed by the most militant sorcerer-king Hamanu. At least you know you won't end up in his massive obsidian quarries. I'll open the Rogues gallery thread on Monday.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I played a Thri-Kreen Fighter in a PBP game here a while back. The game fell apart. I'd like to dust him off and get him in, if it's okay with you.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
What are you using for thri-kreen rules? they are clearly stronger than most PC races, and I didn't find a conversion to 5e I was happy with.

I played a Thri-Kreen Fighter in a PBP game here a while back. The game fell apart. I'd like to dust him off and get him in, if it's okay with you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases