Disintegrate Question

RisnDevil

First Post
The wording of Disintegrate kind of intrigued me, forcing me to ask a question. This is the specific wording in question:

"Only the first creature or object struck can be affected; that is, the ray affects only one target per casting."

Ok, sounds pretty straightforward, but not when you take in the rest of the spell. You see, the spell only fires one ray, so can only affect one target. Why even put that line in? Now, what if I split it with Split Ray? Does it not work on the second target, or can the second target not be disintegrated, and only take damage? Why shouldn't Split Ray be allowed to work? And why would a spell in the PHB take into account a feat from CAr, which was not even out when the spell was written? Is this just arbitrary extra wording or what?

Thanks for any input anyone can give,
RisnDevil

Dross

Explorer
RisnDevil said:
The wording of Disintegrate kind of intrigued me, forcing me to ask a question. This is the specific wording in question:

"Only the first creature or object struck can be affected; that is, the ray affects only one target per casting."

Ok, sounds pretty straightforward, but not when you take in the rest of the spell. You see, the spell only fires one ray, so can only affect one target. Why even put that line in? Now, what if I split it with Split Ray? Does it not work on the second target, or can the second target not be disintegrated, and only take damage? Why shouldn't Split Ray be allowed to work? And why would a spell in the PHB take into account a feat from CAr, which was not even out when the spell was written? Is this just arbitrary extra wording or what?

Thanks for any input anyone can give,
RisnDevil

Its possible the writers of this spell were aware in the 3.0 to 3.5 revision that split ray was/would be available and wanted to circumvent that (split ray appeared in the Tomb and Blood splat book). This might be bit of a stretch though.

shilsen

Adventurer
I believe that was put in so that one didn't have questions about whether the ray can disintegrate a number of people, one after another.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
After all, that's whats expected from computer games, isn't it? Kill the creature, the body disappears and all his goodies appear lying on the floor around it!

(ducks and runs)

Li Shenron

Legend
I thought it was a leftover of previous editions. Maybe the authors were thinking of a player asking if the ray could for example make a whole in a door/wall and still disintegrate the orc on the other side (if the total damage of the spell was more than the hp of the door and the orc).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases