DM Product Review and Advice

Here we can review products we've bought or products we plan to buy...

Save eachother cash by establishing which suppliments are worth the paper they're printed on..

:)

Last edited:

ChaosEvoker

First Post
Definately, that way if one is bad then we can save the others lol.

If you jsut change the title of your original post you can make it this thread in fact! Sounds like a great idea!

CHAOS EVOKER

Lost Empires of Faerun (LEoF) is phenomenal! I especially like the sections on Cormanthyr and Nethiril, and some of the ancient magical items are really cool. Not a book to buy if you're looking for a lot of crunch, but fantastic if you want an Indiana Jones style game.

I was actually thinking of basing an entire campaign on exploring ancient ruins and "recovering" artifacts therefrom just before this book was announced, so now I actually get to work on it :D.

Mordmorgan the Mad said:
Lost Empires of Faerun (LEoF) is phenomenal! I especially like the sections on Cormanthyr and Nethiril, and some of the ancient magical items are really cool. Not a book to buy if you're looking for a lot of crunch, but fantastic if you want an Indiana Jones style game.

I was actually thinking of basing an entire campaign on exploring ancient ruins and "recovering" artifacts therefrom just before this book was announced, so now I actually get to work on it :D.
Cool, I'll pick up a copy over spring break then, since it's next week for me.

Beyond Countless Doorways

by Malhavoc Press
By Monte Cook, Wolfgang Baur, Colin McComb, and Ray Vallese
A 224-page hardcover book of planes for all levels
Cover illustration by rk post
Interior illustrations by Ed Bourelle, Kev Crossley, Eric Lofgren, and Tyler Walpol

OKay....I bought this a 2weeks ago....and because Malhovics stuff is so deep....im just slowly going though the pages.

Planer Travel....Is a large underlaying theme in my campaign and it will be the basis of adventueres at higher levels.

With a recent "mishandling" of a magic item 3 of my PCs were transformed into "planer" creatures. I decided that I needed developed Demi Planes...really quick.. But something special, because as veteren players we've been to few planes in our day. (Oooh! Githyanki!)

TADA!...Its all done BCDWs contains some really well done "planes" that can drop into any cosmology. Im using the "standard" cosmology from WOTC . I already have 3 different locations to stage adventures for my transformed PCs....

There are "pretty" good overview maps of the planes, and details on Inhabitants, cities, features and descriptions.. Each entry also has a listing of "encountered" creatures and a refernce to the MonMan...or other such texts...

Like all the products at havoc..the Books are really high quality HARD Bound, Really good art work, and organized really well.. They are "text" book quality..

If you have the manual of the Planes, and dont need anything real special....You can probably get by without this.. But if you want something "different" or if you were into the "planescape" deal that TSR did...I d suggest this as a buy
v :cool:

Nightcloak

First Post
Morbog of Ghetto D

The planar and psionic suppliments are the one things I don't own from Malhavoc. ot much my style.

Having said that, however, I thought it was really cool Cooke got all the original Plane Scape folks back together to do this book. I flipped through it and found it very original with tons of ready to use mini-settings for adventures. It went on my list to pick when I have the extra $.

Personally, I got real kick out of the Fairy/Fantasy world that was text book perfect on the surface with one really dark secret. Madmorgan, you'd love this one. I don't want to give it away. however.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Morbog -

I have been thinking of picking this up lately, so you have convinced me... when my cash supply problems have been rectified (DM'ing on a teacher's salary...).

I have not bought anything new lately due to above mentioned cash supply deficiency, but if anyone wants my opinions on my Necro Games adventures as I run them (albeit pretty modified) I will be happy to oblige.

I have run Crucible of Freya, am running Tomb of Abysthor, and plan on including Vault of Larin Karr and Chaos Rising in my Greyhawk campaign (along with several Dungeon Adventures, bits and pieces of ToEE and RttToEE, Queen of Lies and Demon God's Fane). I have also recently purchased the C&C PHB and the Tome of Horrors (I love what can be acquired inexpensively).

DM

Remove ads