Do Humans deserve a few more Exploits

Like in so many tabletop games, I get the feeling that humans are wowfully under powered in WOIN. Or does the extra Expreince from being a natural Explorer offset their lack of other exploits suficently in the long run?

What other powers could Humans get, to balance things a bit more? Maybe their flexibility should also get them double the normal number of skills, or some such thing.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The XP from going to new planets has proven quite enviable in my games! They tend to edge ahead of other races in terms of XP.

Alternatively, there are four variant humans in Universal Exploits -- Belters, Jovians, Warped, and Clones. Adds a bit of variety!

I'm actually about to start playing OLD, so I was comparing them to the other fantasy races. I could be wrong but the problem doesn't seem quite so glaring in NEW.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I guess it depends how much travel you have. It probably wouldn't be unreasonable to give the XP for other exploratory things - entering a new town or dungeon, for example. It certainly adds up - after 10 journeys the human is a while grade ahead of the others.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

GLazelle

First Post
Flexibility in stat placement is nice for char gen (though it is no better than just picking a race with those stats anyway), but does nothing after.

The bonus XP is very nice but also campaign dependent.

I was considering one or more of the following:

Extending 'Varied' to say that humans consider all stats to have "racial" bonuses when taking careers, that way they gain something in play as they have the most choices during stat improvement.

Possibly also some sort of teamwork/social exploit might be nice for a very sicial creature? This way they have some definitive thing they're good at during play. Perhaps +1d6 if they help and have an appropriate skill at 1d6 or more? Or +1d6 if they make a routine skill roll?

Finally, as an alternative to the travel XP, I was considering slightly reducing the costs for incremental advances - other races could be better at gaining careers, but perhaps humans can just take odd advances more easily, making them less focused. Perhaps reduce the XP multipliers by one or so and exploits having cost reduced to 33% of a new grade?

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk

Remove ads